Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

1. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

At the very least, you should be able to interpret the quoted post #115 was a reply to another member.

Rob Taft likes this.
  2. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

That's something else I learned today.

3. c7sus

c7sus Member

All this gnashing of teeth over $150.

Amazing.

lcfparty35 likes this.
  4. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Recall = safety issue.

An issue that does not endanger the customer is always covered under warranty, whether the flaw is a design or manufacture flaw is irrelevant, it still falls under warranty.

There is no law the forces a company to correct something that does not pose a risk to the customer. That level of protection is exclusively for safety issues.
    Mesa could, as a courtesy, agree to make the repair, but they certainly don't have to.

Your issue is with the seller, not with Mesa. Had you bought this amp through Reverb/eBay or any other protected method, you wouldn't even be bringing Mesa into it.

And honestly, you don't sound like you're ignorant. I have a feeling you do understand the difference between recall and warranty very well, you're just trying to see if this thread gains enough support/momentum to force Mesa's hand to do something you're not entitled to. But clearly, you're in the minority.

blackba, Rob Taft and therhodeo like this.
  5. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

I've got a feeling, as well. Not that feeling, but a feeling.

6. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

I can't believe it took 9 pages for someone to post these points for the 10th time.

guitarbilly74 likes this.
  7. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

I just handed my phone to my wife to read this post, and her reply was, "Why did you waste your time reading this? Those are people who are looking for any reason to feel upset or special. I didn't get past page 3, and I don't want to hear the word 'should' again this week."

I... love her. Hahahaha

-Mark

8. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

You mean to say there are no circumstances where a company may recall a product because an issue not related to safety needed to be addressed?
    If a negative side effect of a product/product line would generate negative feedback for a company, you'd better believe they'd recall it if they felt it would negatively affect their brand or their bottom line.
    I am in no way suggesting my situation qualifies for that, but the original issue may.

For example if a product: let's say a vacuum cleaner produced a noxious odour every time it was used, but was in no way a safety issue, do you honestly think the company would just let it ride and let the word of mouth gain momentum to the point that people would avoid their product?

I was lead to believe that this was a recall issue. Was I naive in believing it? Probably so, and I have learned a lesson. But in no way was my explanation and question malicious.
    Did I want Mesa to cover it? Yes.
    But I came here to see if my experience was unique and/or reasonable.

Believe of me and my intentions what you want.

9. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

That's a fascinating strategy. I dig it. :D

10. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

You bought it used and in person
    Nobody to blame but you

11. nowhere

nowhere Member

If a company had insisted on doing the work for free in a situation like this I would certainly make a point of posting about it in order to praise them going above and beyond to provide amazing customer service. I would not however be at all disappointed in a company not doing the work for an amp out of the warranty period for someone who purchased it used.

JCW308 likes this.
  12. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’ve had issues with used amps as well, but never to that extent.

My Peavey C50 had the worst tubes you can find when I got it. And the bias was off. Lasted about 90 seconds. Being a noob and poor, I replaced those cheap tubes with more cheap tubes, but they lasted about two years. Lesson learned.

My Jet City: biased WAY hot, speaker kind of dull. But I got it for free, so it was all house money getting that thing up to speed.

And my Mesa. Had a squeal that I couldn’t fix, and I tried a bunch of solutions. Tube dampers finally solved that.

Even though the expenses weren’t huge, I didn’t really enjoy the process of getting those amps sorted. It was a PITA!

So I get where you’re coming from, definitely.

But the upside to my collection of inexpensive bottom feeder amps is that I’ve got three amps that have all been serviced, solder joint checked and everything brought up to spec, with a few minor circuit tweaks in some cases to make them mine. That’s worth something to me.

Not enough to want to go through it any time soon, at least not with a tube amp.

But maybe I won’t have to either.

13. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

People keep posting these points, because people continue having a hard time understanding them.

If I let my wife read this forum, she'd think 95% of us were insane (myself included, probably).

14. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

yes, and yet...

Yes, companies will address products flaws free of charge, under warranty, as they should. That is not what a recall is. A recall is a legal term specifically referring to safety issues.

Can't believe this is needed but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_recall

15. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

So, apparently my understanding of the legal use of the word recall was flawe .
    I believed that there were different types of recalls. Ones for safety issues, and others for product defects, and design flaws.
    I was mistaken.
    It was the incorrect term to use.
    I'm man enough to admit my mistake.
    Thank you for the clarification.

However, there seems to me to be a fundamental difference between a design flaw and a defective part.

I appreciate constructive criticism from those that offered it in the spirit of educating me.

guitarbilly74 likes this.
  16. Lef T

Lef T Member

Not sure where you are in Ontario,but take the TA 30 into Amplifiers Plus in Cambridge,Ontario.
    Rich is a top notch Mesa tech and he will make the amp right for you.
    It may not even be $150.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  17. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

Rich is the one who quoted me the price.
    But thank you.

18. Lef T

Lef T Member

Rich is the right guy to be talking to and to fix your amp for sure.

Vaibhav Joshi and GrooveMerchant like this.
  19. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

this thread == THANKS FOR NOTHING!!! :bonk

20. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

You're welcome.