• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Disappointing experience at Chicago Music Exchange

chrisrocksusa

I came in with the objective of trying a silver sky and ‘running the racks’ until I found my new guitar.

I came in and asked for an available salesperson (I’m semi handicapped, recovering from surgery). I got an annoyed ‘we’re very busy’ answer.

no big deal. I get it.

i found a salesperson that looked available but he was quick to let me know he was finishing something up on the computer.

no problem, i can wait.

I waited for maybe 10 minutes and watched the dude on the computer strike up casual conversation w a couple of other folks and stop what he was doing to entertain the conversation.

that’s when I called an Uber to go home. I guess I’ll buy online.

Ive been there a bunch of times and always had good experiences until today.

chrisrocksusa

Sorry to hear.
I haven't gone to the current location many times, but I know the store from its original location. Always seemed to me that if you don't look like you have money, they don't much care to serve you.
tha
that certainly didn’t used to be the case. I showed up in Chicago in 2013 after getting out of the Air Force. I had no money and I looked like it - they were still very cordial to me and let me play everything.

im grateful to be able to actually buy some of these things now, but it was a real disappointment to be dismissed today.

no big deal lesson learned, I’m just venting

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Did they get bought out by Etsy Too?
when employees treat customers like you were treated, I attribute it to bad management.....
sorry you were treated like that...
I would have called them out on it.. that’s BS.... hello Wildwood :)

3waytie4last

Unfluencer
Platinum Supporting Member
tha
that certainly didn’t used to be the case. I showed up in Chicago in 2013 after getting out of the Air Force. I had no money and I looked like it - they were still very cordial to me and let me play everything.

im grateful to be able to actually buy some of these things now, but it was a real disappointment to be dismissed today.

no big deal lesson learned, I’m just venting
I hear ya. I've been in the old store and the new and was perfectly willing to drop $2-3k on an acoustic, but they didn't give me the time of day, so I left. Considering we pay 10% tax, I avoid doing any purchases through them.

Next time, have your mom come in with you and say she's buying a guitar for her boy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For me, there's no questions to ask the staff.
- they're just kids that are being trained to sell by a company that is only interested in profit.

I'll Walk in and play the guitars.
The first ones I'll play are the ones with a sign saying' don't play before asking'
-Anything in reach, I'll play it.
If it sounds great unplugged, then I want it.
My thinking goes like this in relation to features.
' if it has six strings and some tuners and a place routed out for pickups, then that's all the features I need. Typically, I change out pickups from my stash to fine tune the chassis.'
When you indicate to them that you want to buy a guitar, they seem very eager to serve you after that.
- Easy.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
A sales guy giving someone 5 minutes of attention, can leave an impression that can lead to recommending the store to scores of people. I regularly recommend stores where the sales people put in even a small amount of effort in. That's a bummer.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I recently bought a guitar from CME, a coral pink Danelectro 59M NOS, a very limited run, exclusive to that store. Prior that, my experiences at CME were uniformly negative, but this one was good. I signed up for their emails, but if I go to their site and look at a few guitars, I get another email later in the day or that night saying something like, "You were looking at guitars before. Didn't you find anything you liked?" I feel like, don't bother me, don't follow me and this is too creepy. If I want to buy something, I will, but don't pursue me to do so. I called the store and complained about it, and while the sales guy agreed that it was creepy and intrusive, he didn't know how to stop it.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve always had great experiences at CME but it’s not the place to go and expect to get 1:1 service within 10mins if they’re busy. They get a ton of traffic and when I go I always plan on spending at least an hour there, often a couple. So maybe my expectations are just a better fit but I’ve always enjoyed my visits. The salespeople are often busy and helping multiple people at once and trying to have the quick chats here and there in between that, but they've always been very nice and helpful when I needed it and let me play anything I wanted which is always fun. Look forward to going back one day soon. Sorry to hear your experience wasn’t similarly enjoyable.

MattC

Silver Supporting Member
Did they get bought out by Etsy Too?
when employees treat customers like you were treated, I attribute it to bad management.....
sorry you were treated like that...
I would have called them out on it.. that’s BS.... hello Wildwood :)
Wildwood? The same one that recently sold my friend a $6,400 R9 brand new and shipped it with a massive ding in the headstock and a massive chip on the lower bout? That Wildwood?
Not trying to crap on Wildwood in specific but the point is no place is perfect. CME always treated me well in the past, but it’s been a few years since I bought anything there. I hope OP’s experience is an outlier, as it seems my friend’s experience was judging by all the great stuff I hear about Wildwood.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I've had this experience at CME. I got their almost every time I go to Chicago. I pointed out that they had an issue with one of their guitars that needed to be looked at. They just ignored me.

Overall, I still like them better than Eddie's which is local to me. Before COVID I tried to get an appointment with them. I emailed, I asked via FB, and I couldn't get a response for weeks. And, you definitely need an appt for Eddie's.

Trending Topics