Disaster Area DMC-6D with 2 H9's?

tnjazz

Double Platinum Member
Anyone here run a setup like this that can help a complete and total MIDI noob get his setup figured out?

It kinda works right out of the box, but only kinda...

I can program and turn presets on but I can't figure out how to turn them off!

I've reached out to Disaster Area but in the meantime I figure it's probably some setup parameter that I'm not getting and maybe someone here can help me out?

The Disaster Area guide may as well be written in Swahili as far as I'm concerned. I'm more of an analog guy I guess..

Monts

I have Disaster Area 3XL on my H9, so maybe I can help you. When you say 'turn presets' are you talking about scrolling through them? Or do you mean one of your buttons on your DMC actually engages the preset?

Ultimately, you just need to use the learn function on the H9 to program the DMC to whatever you want it to do. There's a pretty straight forward midi set up section explaining the Learn function in the H9 manual.

tnjazz

Double Platinum Member
Honestly, all I want to do is:

Store presets from one or both of my H9's in the preset banks on the Disaster Area and be able to bank up and down to the ones I want for a particular song, then activate/bypass them with the preset switches. This I've got figured out for the most part, because it does 75% of what I want right out of the box.

My problem is that when I engage a preset it activates the H9(s) and I can't figure out how to put the unit(s) into bypass. Pressing the preset switch again changes the display on the DMC (the preset letter goes away I think?) which to me would make sense if it were putting the effect(s) on that preset into bypass but the H9 stays active. I'm assuming it has something to do with CC messages, but I have no clue how to configure either device.

I've got one H9 on MIDI channel 1 and one on MIDI channel 2, and I've figured out how to assign both units presets to a single switch so I'm slowly making progress. I just can't turn the effect off from the DMC once I've stepped on a preset. There appears to be something in the instructions about CC102 being related to bypass or something but again, no idea where to set that or how it works.

In my H9 setup I've got all this stuff for PC messages and CC messages and I can assign stuff to all kinds of other stuff, but I don't know what stuff to assign to what stuff.

I find it a little strange that there's SO much info out there on the web but for the life of me I can't find anyone who's ever posted a step by step setup example that others can follow. Everything I've found seems somewhat vague and assumes a more thorough understanding of MIDI than I apparently have!

Enusire

I find it a little strange that there's SO much info out there on the web but for the life of me I can't find anyone who's ever posted a step by step setup example that others can follow. Everything I've found seems somewhat vague and assumes a more thorough understanding of MIDI than I apparently have!
thought exactly the same!

Did you find an answer to your question? I have a similar problem. I run a H9 and can´t bypass it with my DMC. I don´t know which CC is related to bypass it.... :nuts

tnjazz

Double Platinum Member
Yes. You need to set "Activate" to 102 in the H9 menu.

I found sort of a workaround for my issue. I set activate on one and bypass on the other, then the "do not care" option does what I need it to. Not exactly 100% but close.

It would be so much easier if you could save specific CCs to individual presets...

Still it's a very useable setup. Good luck with yours!

Enusire

I love you! WORKED immediately.

Thanks thanks thanks!!!! :)

But the big question which remains is: Where can I find this information from Disaster Area? I must admit I´m disappointed about the communication & information from Disaster Area at this point.

No bad purpose here, it´s just how I feel at the moment.

tnjazz

Double Platinum Member
Glad it's working for you!

Drew at Disaster Area was very helpful to me but they weren't terribly quick to reply, particularly to my follow up questions. They were probably a bit strange though probably, so I'm sure they read them and thought "Seriously? WTF is this guy trying to do?" Hahahaha!

Makama

Ive struggled for a bit using my dmc3 gen 2 to control my h9.
Different setup but I was also surprised there is so little information on these things out there.
Apparently for changing presets the dmc is only using program change and not a midi cc.
it works great with the strymon stuff but the h9 does it very slowly and in a clumsy manner, especially in TB mode.
It has somthing to do with the dmc sending a program change command and an activate cc every time you go up or down a preset. (Otherwise when you change a preset the h9 will bypass)
I wish disaster area will change the controls for the h9 to cc commands.
Because you can customize all the cc on the h9 it will make everything much easier and more useful.

Last edited:

Trending Topics