Disaster! LaCie FW HD died!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by scottlr, Jan 26, 2008.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have had the LaCie Porche Design FW ext HD for my recording storage for a few years now, and never had a single problem. Today, I hear a strange whining sound, and I follow my ears to this drive. I wasn't even doing anything on it. It was merely mounted. Luckily, I did a backup back in the summer, and have done very little recording since. Maybe a track or two, a tweak or two, and one whole new songs that I can easily reproduce. It shows up on my Mac in System Profiler, and Disk utes, but it won't mount. I've turned it off, let it cool down for a couple of hours and restarted it, nada. I've rebooted about 5 times, and nothing. Disk utes won't mount it, either, though it is there in the sidebar. So I thought I'd pull the drive out and pop it into a usb case I have, but there's no damn screws at all on this thing to open it with! It's a good thing I don't have any hair, or I'd be pulling it out by now!

So, I guess the only way to get the drive out is to bust the case open? I'll have to have some place I know of try and recover the data from it I guess. Then I'll need a new HD. So, here's a question. Can one record to a flash drive? I have heard that they are faster than a spinning drive, and I have heard they are not. If they are fast enough to record on, would they make a good choice for storage for recording?

2. pat

pat Member

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks! Maybe now I can figure out if it's the drive or the case causing the problem!

4. PaulM

PaulM Member

I had the same problem with the Lacie porsche design drive that wouldn't mount and it turned out the simply using a brand-new power supply fixed the problem.

The old power supply wasn't broken all the way--I didn't even know it was faulty at all. The drive powered up and made the same noises you are describing and simply just never mounted.

I bought a brand new lacie drive with a new power supply and accidentally discovered that my old "broken" hard drive worked when I switched to the new power supply.

Makes no sense, but apparently this is now a well known phenonmenon for lacie drives. If you don't want to buy a new power supply as an experiment, you can walk your lacie drive into a mac store and use one of their power supplies to test your drive...

Hope this helps.

5. pat

pat Member

That's interesting about the power supply. Maybe the voltage has dropped to the point where it will power the drive electronics so that it will appear as a device but is not enough to get the platters spinning

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Hmm, that IS interesting. But it was spinning like mad! Not what I'd think of as underpowered LOL I have a gazillion things plugged into about 3 gang plugs behind the computer desk. I thought about pulling it out of there and taking it to my wife's PowerBook at a different outlet and see if it shows up on her drive.

Oh, and as I recall, it has a 5 years warranty, and I am pretty sure I am under 5 years, but I can't find the receipt, nor recall where I bought it.

7. mcholley

mcholley Member

I didn't have the same drive, but my first LaCie drive stopped mounting, opened it up to find some burnt marks on a board...

bought a new case, and it still works to this day, just in a new case....

I did contact LaCie, but they won't sell parts...

Good luck!!!

Mark

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yea, once I rule out the power supply thing, I am gonna crack it open and put the drive into a usb case I have. IF it then works, then I'll buy another FW case. THis is the first HD problem I have ever had myself in 15 years. My wife's PowerBook had a bad drive awhile back.

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

all hard drives fail...
    eventually.

a good backup strategy is essential as is using a proper hard drive for the application. i treat hard drives much the same i used to rolls of tape. i dedicate a hard drive for each project and partition the drive for tracking and mixing.

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

Well, like I said, I have a backup that I made back in the summer. There's a little bit that isn't on it, not much, and nothing I can't easily redo. If I had been working furiously I'd have been doing weekly backups, but I was just dinking here and there for the last year, so I got a little behind.

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

You need to backup every song file you worked on at that session, immediately after that session, to DVD or CD-R and then reopen it, to make sure it "took."

Anything less is gonna git ya, sooner or later.

Loudboy

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

And I KNOW this, yet I didn't :(
    I do always open everything I burn to make sure it took.

13. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Hopefully the drive is fine and its just the enclosure. I havent had a HD failure for a few years now. Its probably more luck than QC. I have been sticking with Seagate drives for all my external HD enclosures that I build.

Eventually Solid State Drives will take over and the HD world will be over. Reliability will be in the 95 percentile and life will be great. Checkout the new Apple Air Book with the SSD option. Very pricey but a sign of good things to come.

14. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yea, that's why I was wondering if a flash drive would work for recording. It's gonna be awhile before I can afford a new machine, so for now, I am limping along on my old G4. But it works well enough.

15. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

I would think that some of the newer Ultra Fast flash drives should work admirably. You would need USB 2.0 as a start.

16. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

My son's LaCie died from his Mac with alot of video/audio files (he's a video editor) and paid alot of money(hundreds of dollars) to a recovery company and they found only part of the data and the least essential stuff. Apparently LaCies seem to have problems more that most. Ironically Mac seems to promote these. It would have been more beneficial to buy a New Mac or many drives for the money from another manufacturer. I believe he now uses Maxtors and on board multiple drives. I also suggest using CD's for your data as a secondary backup so you can always upload onto a new drive and save a ton of money to recovery companies.

17. scottlr

scottlr Member

Well when my wife's HD died a couple of years ago, the local Apple repair station (we don't have an Apple Store here) recovered her data and it was only about $50-60 IIRC.

I do indeed back this stuff up on DVDs. I also have 2 HDs in the machine, but the machine is old enough it has a limit on the size. I don't think I paid a lot of the LaCie, and its been on 24.7 ever since I got it.

18. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have an extra usb card added by the previous owner. I think it is usb 2.0 but I am not 100% sure.

19. scottlr

scottlr Member

UPDATE:
    I pulled the drive from its case, popped it into another case and it still won't mount. I downloaded a demo version of Data Resue II to see if it'd even recognize the drive, but so far, it's still churning away and has found nothing.
    My local data recovery place charges $90 minimum with no guarantees, and the app is $99, so I figured if it works, for $9 I'll have it should I ever need it again.
    So I guess a new bare drive is in order, as it seems the LaCie case is OK, but I'll check it with another small drive I have first. Could have been worse, but still a big bummer.

20. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

I know it's too late but for those who don't know yet, avoid LaCie Porsche drives like the plague. Do some searching online and you'll see the web is littered with stories much like this. I avoid all LaCie products just to play it safe. Anything that's really important should have a DVD and/or secondary backup...