• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Discovered I HATE tall-skinny frets!

tele_jas

It took almost a year, but I finally sold the neck off my backup Tele (Partscaster) and got a Baja neck.... I couldn't be happier!

My backup Tele now gets played quite a lot at each show, but even so... my 52 Hotrod is still my #1 :)

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
I've been a long-time endorsement of "the bigger the fret, the better". I typically like Med-jumbo or Jumbo (like on my main two Tele's).

Well, I've had a Telecaster (parts-caster) I haven't played much since getting my '52 AVRI HotRod Tele a couple years ago - But, this past Saturday, I broke a string the 2nd song of our 2 hour set and grabbed my backup Tele (that has tall-skinny frets). After about 45 minutes, my finger-tips were so sore I couldn't slide up the strings......The frets were digging into my fingers (still sore 2 days later). I'm used to playing 2-3 hours straight, taking a break, and playing the last 1-2 hours with no issues. But, those tall-skinny frets killed me. Jumbo frets are fine, because they are more rounded.....But these are like little speed bumps.

Looks like I'm going to be trading necks :(
I'm with you. I fret pretty hard and when sliding between notes on lead parts, I feel my fingers are being tortured by these "speed bumps".

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Since this has just popped up again..
You can lower high frets like 6105 right down to the vintage level and they are as wide or slightly wider than old style.

Woowoo

Same here, can't stand them. They are the reason I skipped the entire American Professional series.
Funnily, I'm fine with both vintage and jumbo frets.

Freedom

I could live (and I have lived for a decade or so) with 6105's but nowadays the 6100's is my prefernce. The height is more or less the same (Jascar ones have a tiny difference which my hands can't perceive) but the bigger width makes my left hand a lot happier especially during slides.

Last edited:

JPenn

i've got 1 neck with 6105's and it definitely can hurt my fingers. to me, 6150 or 6100' are like driving over speed bumps where 6105's are like driving over curbs.

johnnyninja

I had 90x55 put on my charvel and really like them. The less wood I feel when bending the better. None or very little fretboard drag with these.

Pablo

Personally, I prefer massive frets and/or scalloping. Anything below 6100 really doesn’t work for me... but it’s all preference.

PartoftheDark

I don’t like tall skinny and I don’t like a square crown like Gibson does. Big and round is the way to go for me. A stainless steel 6100 that’s been rounded down to something closer to a 6130 is about perfect to me.

Steadfastly

I pretty much hate 6105s. Can't think of a single reason a fret that tall needs to be that narrow.
Medium Jumbos = perfect.
I have a question that popped into my mind when reading your post. Since the slots for all fretboards are the same (I believe) wouldn't the fret wire all be the same thickness?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I have a question that popped into my mind when reading your post. Since the slots for all fretboards are the same (I believe) wouldn't the fret wire all be the same thickness?
No. Height and width vary.
It's the ramping that everybody feels.
6105 provides more accurate intonation as the contact spot is closer to the centre of the fret.
Most players do not notice.
The penalty is the steep rise over the narrow width.
The height is needed for a better bending grip.

saltbird

Funny that I should come across this thread now. I'm looking at Teles. Some are the Am. Pro with the 6105's and one is an Am. Special with jumbo's.

I've not owned guitars with either type of these two fret sizes yet. (Oh sh*t!)
Maybe it's because the Am Pro Teles come strung up with 9s but I haven't encountered any of the problems mentioned here with mine. In fact, it's the most comfortable and fastest playing guitar I've owned to date. It's not my absolute favorite guitar I have, but I cannot deny how easy it is to play.

I guess I'm in the minority, but skinny tall frets are perfectly fine in my book.

Trending Topics