Displaying guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jadams71, Apr 5, 2015.

1. jadams71

jadams71 Member

I am thinking of hanging my guitars on the wall of my house. Are there any issues I should be aware of, such as necks flexing or anything else?
    Thank you

2. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Do it, they are also art work.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Just make sure that the padding on the hangers isn't the kind that can react with nitro, assuming that some of your guitars are finished with it.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

They'll fair better in their cases.

5. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Never put a wall hangar on an outside bearing wall (one which the other side is outdoors).

6. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. lefthandagenda

lefthandagenda Member

I would imagine that the reasoning behind this is due to the temperature swings that will be going on outdoors. With only the wall and what little bit of insulation is there, you're more likely to suffer the effects of the changing temperature and humidity against that wall than if it was on the opposite side of the room.

8. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

makes sense. sunlight isn't great for some finishes either. i would only hang cheap poly-finished fenders, but it's not a great thing to do ime. I had a tele hanging all winter here and it got super dry and the frets sprouted. live and learn, i've been showering 'with it' for a week and it's a little better now.

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Yep. Did the same. Fret sprout. So dry here even guitars in cases got sprout if I didn't keep up in case humidification. Having guitars in the open is a death sentence for acoustics particularly.

In my area at least.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Unless you have jumping kids or animals, don't hang them high. Hang them so you can grab them by the neck with the least amount of effort and reach.

11. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

You should be able to fix the fret sprout once and never have it again. It's literally 5 minutes with a competent tech.

12. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Done it for decades. The stress on a neck from the strings is way more than the things own weight. Keeping good humidity is def important though.

13. JDutch

JDutch Member

+1. Guitars, especially semi-hollow body and hollowbody instruments, are sensitive to changes in humidity and temperature. You can get a humidifier and a dehumidifier, but having to refill/empty them is a pain after a while.

As people already have mentioned, sunlight can affect finishes, particularly nitro finishes, and airborne debris will age the strings faster and also gunk up the metallic parts.

Best case scenario: you can count on spending a lot more time maintaining your instruments by displaying them, rather than leaving them in their cases.

14. munger77

munger77 Member

I agree with JDutch. When I'm in a pro studio, I notice that most of the go-to guitars for tracking are kept in the cases, not hanging on the walls. I used to have a nice rainbow of 12 guitars hung up in my studio, but after the winter months they were no longer playable and I needed to adjust the truss rods, change strings, oil the rosewood necks, file fret ends, etc. so now I leave them in a nice case and shut the clasps until I use them again.

15. jadams71

jadams71 Member

Thank you very much for all the insight it really helps.

16. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

I'm about to install some hangers on my wall primarily due to the fact that I've no space to keep them in their cases in the music room. Is it cool to hang Gibson's, too? I feel like the headstock on my LP will break if I stare at it the wrong way.

17. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

The hanger may mark the guitar in the area around the nut. It will break if you drop it, like other valuable things. So, be sure not to drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk