Dissapointed by the XTC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RSRD, May 23, 2005.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

Well, as a Bogner Shiva diehard, I finally tested a Bogner XTC 101b on Saturday. All the negativity on the clean channel was correct. I was expecting it to be too thin, but instead it was really flubby and just lacked personality. The Red channel was nice and the blue channel was pretty hot. But really, and I guess I am in the minority here, the Shivas gain with the boost on is just tastier to my ears. It might not get quit as hot as the xtc, but do I need to spend an extra $1000 for what the 101b offers? Definitely not.

Now if I could just get my hands on an uber to demo!!!

~thomas

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Someone agrees with me! :dude XTC did nothing for me at all. LOVE the Shiva!! One of the best switchers ever imo. :cool:

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i too hate the 101b. however, i absolutely adore the shiva 6l6 and the XTC classic.

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

While I like the entire Bogner line up (each is very good for the category IMO), it is nice to still see Shiva fans around here. That is the amp that really got me into diggin' the boutique amp thing and remains one of my favorites.

Evan.

5. Randy

Randy Member

I felt the same way about the XTC. Shiva was great but not enough gain for me. Would love to try one with a good boost though. The Uber on the other hand I love! Had one, traded it and now want another again. Pretty much a one trick pony, but what a trick!

6. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I had a Shiva for a little while but went with an XTC(6L6) for versitility that I needed. Right away the clean was a dissapointment. I do really dig the Blue channel. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81418
    I don't gig with it anymore and use it in the studio as a one tone amp, variations of Blue Ch. Not sure how long I am going to keep it around for just that.

Peace,
    Duffy

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I wasn't able to make the XTC work for me either. I hear other people doing amazing stuff with them...but I wasn't able to. Dug the Shiva quite a bit more, but the Orange Rockerverb is the channel switcher that really works for how I like to play. To each his own...

8. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

Yeah, that's why I have the Classic instead of the 101b. The clean channel is quite a bit better in the Classic to my ears. It sounds a lot like the clean channel on the Shiva the way I have it dialed in. However, when I really want clean sounds, I generally use other amps than an XTC or Shiva for recording purposes.

9. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the XTC, but I've heard some players make those amps sound like the best thing on the planet.

I wanted the Shiva to be "the" amp for me, but it just fell short for what I do,....which isn't much. :eek: :D

I picked up a Rockerverb 50 used from Steve Snider and I tell ya it's one smokin amp. The gain channel is what I wanted the Shiva to be, and the clean channel is almost as good as the Shiva. It won't replace my Recto's, but it's a fantastic amp for sure.

Thomas,..the Über is an awesome sounding amp and my personal favorite of the Bogner line. For thick, chunky, super heavy distortion it's hard to beat in my book. Clean isn't great but usable,...I liked it better than the XTC's clean.

10. RSRD

RSRD Member

Probos we may have to get together one day so I can hear that thing!

~t

11. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Me too!
    IMHO, the Classic is FAR superior to the 101B.

Keith

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I liked the Bogner Classic Ecstasy I had, but the Shiva remains my fave Bogner.

No dog in this hunt, but that's my opinion.

13. Ken

Ken Member

Ok Dr Phil :D

I'm still diggin my Shiva!

14. mude

mude Supporting Member

I love the XTC blue channel. Some of my favorite crunch tones. Love that channel for certain stuff.

Some good clips on the Bogner site for all the models if you anyone has not heard these amps.

Evan.

15. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

My cousin still loves that same amp, Bro!!

Keith;)

16. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I have a 101 A and it rocks, I had a 101B and agreed with all the reviews, but the 6l6's made a differrence

17. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

Chalk me up as another who could never get the 101B to click. I spun knobs all day long (and there are sure a lot of knobs and switches) and nothing ever felt quite right.

Now I need to try a Shiva.

18. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Couldn't get the 101b to work for me. The Classic is cool. The Shiva a little easier to dail. The Uber is unbelievable. I really have little use for one these days but what an amp.

19. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I had a 101b and bought a Classic hoping it would have fixed the problems I had with the tone of the 101b. It did and it didn't. I didn't really like the Classic either. It fixed some problems but created some new ones (at least for me).

The Shiva is a great amp though. Much more musical and harmonically rich than the Ecstasy, in my opinion.

The Uber is good for what it does, but if I were playing metal I'd much rather have a used, older VHT Ultralead.

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I've given an XTC Classic two tries. Unfortunately, like others have said, I've heard others make them sound great, but I can't....

I prefer the voicing of the Shiva. But I've tried many other amps that work better for me than the Shiva's gain channel. Their cleans are quite good, though ....