Dissatisfied with Seth Lover in Bluesboy

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I have a semi-hollow G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy with a Seth Lover humbucker in the neck. I hear great things about this PU, but it doesn't seem to be working in this guitar. I don't know if it is because the guitar itself is very lively and bright, because of the 250 pots, or if it simply doesn't match, but it just doesn't sound that great. Any ideas for a replacement to match with the single-coil bridge PU?

SPROING!

Matching a neck humbucker to a single coil is tough.
The best luck I ever had was wiring it up for the humbucker with 500k pots and then using a resistor on the bridge pickup to keep it sane.

svenhoek

I've had two bluesboys and didn't really like the SLs in either of them. Too muddy for my tastes. I'd get a humbucker sized P90 and give that go. But that's me...

SPROING!

I've had two bluesboys and didn't really like the SLs in either of them. Too muddy for my tastes. I'd get a humbucker sized P90 and give that go. But that's me...
That's a good idea.
What about a firebird mini? Those pair up well with singles, though they don't sound a whole lot like a PAF.

rwijaya

Does Seth lover use alnico 2 magnet? you should try alnico 5 magnet, most humbucker that i found to be muddy or dark (to my preference) are typically the one that use alnico 2 magnet.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I'd consider adding a resistor to the circuit so that the Seth sees 500K with the volume pot wide open before writing it off. You might also try a magnet swap as already suggested - I like A4 for a neck pickup (A5 tends to add too much bass for my taste).

crossbones

Yeah, I had the exact same problem.
I ended up getting rid of the SL, replacing it with an under wound Duncan that I can't remember the model, replacing the bridge with a stacked Dimarzio tele pickup.
The new Duncan is still pretty present with the 250k pot.
The Dimarzio is working real well, but I am going to try a 500k pot and then see if I need a resistor on the bridge PU.

I have tried the SL in a couple of other guitars (that sound good), but it seems to make them all a little more dull.......almost like backing the volume down a couple clicks and turning down the tone.
Just dull.

Sorry Seth. You failed.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I'll try the 500k pot. What value resistor?

I saw that Zhangbucker has a humbucker made for Teles. Anyone try?

SPROING!

The resistor is going to tame the bridge pickup. The easiest way is to just put one in line between the bridge pickup and the switch. Try a 240k. If that's not enough, try 1.5k. If still more cutoff is needed, try 3k, etc.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

bgood

Silver Supporting Member
Me too. It lacked definition and was too muddy by itself. Was OK in the middle position.

I took it out as well as the bridge since it was microphonic. I have Dimarzio Area T's in there now. Very happy with it.

grooveht

The SD Jazz was initially conceived to use 250k pots, and is brighter than the Seth. I'd think that, or the 59, which is A5 and brighter.

73Fender

You could get a mini pot and experiment with it. I stumbled on this idea when I was doing a coil split and was going to put a resistor to ground from the split point (if memory serves). I happened to have a mini pot laying around. Anyway, I was able to play the guitar and tweak the pot as I went..worked well. May work for you as well. Easier than soldering in multiple resistors til you find one. And you get the instant tone comparison thing going on.. The mini pots are tiny, fit under a pickguard very easily.

ASATlove

Was talking to Tim(the designer of the blues boy) at Buffalo bros. guitars once while a friend of mine was picking out an ASAT Classic. I picked up a ASAT Blues Boy, plugged it in and started to play it. I had a white blond B.B. At the time. He said "You know, the gut that designed that guitar is a genius." Knowing WHO he was, I said "Really, I heard he's a an idiot that just got lucky!" The look on his face was that of a hurt puppy dog....... I then told him I KNEW WHO HE WAS! The look changed to one of relief....... I always liked mine in an ash body, but if it is in an alder body, I could see how it would be kind of muddy. I would think a SD 59 or Pearly gates would most likely give you what you are looking for.
I'm surprised Tim hasn't spoke up on this thread yet...........

Spooky Action

The resistor is going to tame the bridge pickup. The easiest way is to just put one in line between the bridge pickup and the switch. Try a 240k. If that's not enough, try 1.5k. If still more cutoff is needed, try 3k, etc.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Try this, it is worth the effort if it works with your guitar, because the Seth is a great PAF pickup. It is my favorite neck humbucker. A semihollow tele neck position is a dark dark place, but I love those guitars.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I just read that the Seth Lovers provided to G&Ls for the Bluesboys are wax-potted, as opposed to the standard Seth Lovers. Does this make a difference?

Trending Topics