Dist, od or clean boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tayste_2000, Jan 9, 2006.

1. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Hi, everyone just found this site recently and could do with some advice.

I'm currently using a black barber ltd and a SIB Nick Nitro for my gain needs and while this is great I need something in between. I'm using the LTD on all the time as I'm a bassist this gives me that more classic rock bass sound with out me carrying round 100lb's of tube amp, and I run the Nick Nitro after it this really tames the Nick which is good as I get all that fuzz tone with out the massive amount of drive and gain. I use to use a Dod fx10 before the barber so that I could get more drive out of the barber mid song (Barber is currently with the drive at about 9 o clock) and the boost just kicked it up a set and filled out the sound abit more. But the dod's bypass was robbing my tone abit and I managed to make a profit when selling it, so off it went.

So I still want a medium to low overdrive and I suppose the easiest solution is to just get another barber and have a different gain setting on it, but I wanted something a little different that's more multifunctional.

I've been looking at
    Crowther Hotcakes (Modded for better bass response XLF version)
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
    various Orange Squeeze clones such as the Tone Factor and the Pedalworx
    Barber Small Fry - when it comes out

I don't want anything that really treads on the barbers toes tonally, and all of the pedals have to retain bass well, I tried the Zoom Power Drive and really didn't like what it did to my tone, so that might be a bit of a reference point for you.

So any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

2. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

As the guy who designed the liquid sunshine, I would warn against using it for bass. It was designed for guitar, and cuts frequencies below about 100hz at the input. Not so great for bass if you want a solid low end. It could probalby be modded for bass, but not really what i had in mind when i was working on it.

I have never tried any of the other pedals other than an orange squeezer i made for my self.... which i canibalized pretty quickly and made somethign else out of... so i guess im not much help.

3. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Thanks for that Brian, sorry to say that takes the Liquid Sunshine out of the running, but thanks for the advice.

I hope to own a subdecay pedal some day.

Would this be the same for the Darkstar as well?

4. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

The blackstar... i dont know, i have never tried it with bass. I know of a couple guys that use the stupid box on bass, and one that uses it on electric cello, but both of these pedals might cover a lot of the same ground as stuff you already have...

Catalinbread makes a green version of the scp booster that has a better low frequency response... its more of a clean boost though, not an overdrive.

I was working on a bass fuzz a while back, but lent it out to a couple guys, and both had issues with it. I'm really trying to look at bass more than i have in the past, but i really need a better bass, and a bass amp. We'll see what happens next year.

5. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Yeah that's ok, I know a guy who uses the flying tomato on bass and thinks it's fantastic as it's buffered and works really well with his active basses, but he's also told me its a little to modern and harsh for my needs.

Thanks for the responses though

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd recommend buying an A/B/Y box of some sort, and mixing your clean and dirty signal. Do this and you can still quite conceivably use the Liquid Sunshine

7. ajric

ajric Member

Crowther Hotcake. The Bluesberry version might be suit your needs best.

Cheers
    Anthony

8. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

OK thanks for this it's all quite inciteful, doesn't seem to be much love for using a boost into my barber.

I emailed Paul Crowther last night so I'll see what he says and then probably get ordering.

But keep the recommendations coming.

What about some of the other barber pedals like the direct drive and such?

9. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Oh and the Skreddy Mayo or Top Fuel or are these to harsh and to much gain for my needs?

10. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Oh bit of a bump and also I had a band practice last night which was pretty revealing

I love my current tone to me it sounds amazing and I was all set for thinking, I don't need any more pedals I've got everything I need, then I had a bass solo to do, very punky and just hitting loads of notes but normally I need to fill quite a bit of space and the nick nitro with the octave up fuzz just couldn't handle it, I couldn't get enough volume out of it, I'm not sure if it's the nnitro not having enough volume or if my compressor is capping it to much, but I'm not about to stick my fuzz after my compressor (ugh)

So what I could do is put a clean boost after my compressor and just make my whole signal louder which would probably work quite well.

So it comes down to 2 pedals Hotcakes or s/h Pedalworx McSqueeze, both do boosts and both do other things but not sure what would be more useful.

I have no idea how the compressor will be on bass I'm expecting a more percussive effect when I use it, and I'm not sure I'd use any of the dirt of the hotcakes, but I'm sort of planning for the future makeing sure I have every angle covered.

Advice, ideas, anything

Thanks

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Two Hot Cakes work well stacked together for guitar atleast.. The XLF versions should work well together I think as well, why not. As someone suggested, the Catalinbread SGP might be a good option too with one Hot Cake..

Our bassits uses a Sansamp (into an Ampeg), which provides quite a good bass overdrive, we call it the "punk sound".

I dont have experience of the Hot Cakes with basses as I said but if the quality is as good for the bass as it is for guitars, you wont be sorry. And even if you dont like the Cake(s), I think it would be easy to get rid of them and at a good price as well, 'cause you can purchase them at an ok price from Paul Crowther himself. Hope this helps! But really, check out the Sansamp too!

12. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

OK so I bought a Hellbaby I decided it was fate was built a mere 4 days before my 21st birthday.

Also decided to get the Pedalworx McSqueeze as well, will probably end up keeping both but using them for different bands and sessions.

Thanks for the advice everyone

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Hope you are happy with the results, report back when you've done some testing!

Just found out that a double hot cake is coming to production, that might have been really interesting as well!

14. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

+1 to that.

15. dave s

dave s Member

Here's a potential low-cost solution that might work for you. A Carl Martin Hot Drive n' Boost.

The OD side of the pedal sounds to me like the songs All Right Now or something by early Bad Co. It also has a lot of tweaking potential to be different than that, but those rhythm tones are pretty much what I got from the pedal.

The better side of the pedal is the clean boost which provides up to 22 db of clean boost. The boost, while not 100% clean, it's at least 95% clean and did a fantastic job of not turning any other pedal ahead of it into mush.

Best thing? These pedals can be had for $100 or less and would turn quickly if you bought one and decided it wasn't what you were looking for. I used one for about a year.

dave