Dist. Pedal to replace my Rat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fr8_trane, Feb 13, 2006.

1. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I'm looking for something better than a rat for my hi gain slot. I mainly play a strat and tele into a fender DR or Bassman w/4x10 cab. I still dig the rat for leads but there are several shortcomings: The high end is either too harsh or too dull depending on where the filter is set. It rolls off a little too much low end. It has that funky power jack (1/8 plug I think). I'd like something in an MXR style small box format.

I'm not intersted in the keely mods. I'm capable of modding my own pedals and may go that route but I am more interested in these alternatives:

OCD - I have read somewhere that this pedal is basically a modified Rat with mosfet diodes in the clipping section. If this is true it seems like a logical choice.

SCOD: This pedal gets alot of props but the clips on the website are HORRIBLE.

BSIAB II: I like the clips I've heard of this pedal but is it in the gain range of a rat? I'm not looking for an OD. Modded JCM 800 would be good...old plexi is not quite what i'm looking for

MI audio Crunch Box: The price alone is incentive enough. It has plenty of gain but the clips sound a bit midrangey.

If anyone can compare and contrast these pedals in relation to the Rat it would be a great help in deciding how I should spend money I don't have.:D

2. el34power

el34power Member

Well i to was done looking for OD's as i was set. I needed more flexibility but didn't want to start buying all kinds of pedals again.
    So i bet on the Digitech DF-7. The bet paid off. You get 7 known od's and distortion, and the eq section helps you tweek the unwanted from the original units..(rat) (mt-2). 2nd rehearsal with the unit last saturday. I used (supplied in the room) a clean Dual rec. had a Crystal boost from goodieFX for leads.... winner.

FWIW Here is what i left home on that day...
    Keeley BD-2, Keeley SD-1, OCD, Barber LTD, monkey, Super chili Picoso.

3. gls500

gls500 Member

How about a Fulltone Distortion Pro?

It doesn't get much mention around here, but I have one and like it a lot for that type of sound.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Fr8 Trane I have a DRRI and 59 BMRI, My Tonebone Classic sounds great with both those especially the Bassman!
    I have a Crunch Box on order but hope to have it here in a week or so! I can let you know how that goes if your Interested.

5. eknapier

eknapier Member

" OCD - I have read somewhere that this pedal is basically a modified Rat with mosfet diodes in the clipping section."

I dunno about this - can someone confirm? I have spent some time w/ an OCD, and it is a beautiful sounding pedal, but no where near the kind of gain a RAT has - and to my ears a totally different sound.

For the record, I have tried several OD/Distortion pedals, including a stock RAT, nearly all the Fulltone line as well as MJM, vintage mxr distortion +, Mosferatus, Mi Audio stuff, I own a Timmy, Foxey FUZZ, AM SD1/Silver/808, the list goes on and on - and I have heard nothing that can replace my Keeley modded RAT....truely 3 pedals in one and all of which kick the hell out of the stock RAT. THe PHAT RAT setting is king - if you can find the schematics for whatever Keeley does to his RATs and you know what you are doing - you might have what you need already at your fingertips (or footprints, as it were). I hate to push this pedal after you've said you're not interested, but his mods truely address every issue you mention: it has a much more usable tone control, 9V boss style adaptor, and w/ the phat rat setting you can have as much sparkly highs as you want w/o losing the low end. The highs on the Keeley, to my ears, are never harsh, even at maxed out fuzz settings. Truly remarkable....

But my impression of the OCD is that it is a low >medium gain pedal, excels at what it does, but is no RAT by any means.

Maybe an Emma RefRATfaritz...or whatever the hell that thing is called, I think that is based on a vintage RAT design...but I've never tried one, and I could be completely off. Anyone know for sure?

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

what's in your lower/medium gain slot?

7. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have the OCD and I used to have an original Rat a long time ago. I think the OCD can be as high gain as the Rat. I've used it for some massive Marshall meltdown moments. I also have the Distortion Pro, which I use less now that I have the OCD. The DP can also go very high gain, and you have more fine-tuning capability because of all its minipots, but I think the OCD sounds better. You can probably find used Distortion Pro's on the cheap, as I think the OCD has probably eclipsed it in the Fulltone line. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue it in the not-too-distant future.

9. onemind

onemind Member

I think the OCD will suit your purpose, but will never sound as raw as the RAT, depends on your sound, I think you should also consider the T-Rex Mudhoney, which has gobs of gain.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming.
    The tonebone is too big and too expensive for my tastes. I'm looking for small and under $150 used or new.

I have a Zen drive and I'm waiting for my timmy.

I also own a BD-2 (anyone want it?), a Zoom PD-01(used exclusively for its boost), a badmonkey and a a silver LTD (its going up for sale when I get the timmy). Sooo I'm pretty set for OD - of course I'm contemplating the Blues Pro as a replacement for the monkey.

11. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'm lookin at those. Email me when you get ready to dump it

jasonpenn_2003@yahoo.com

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried the Menatone Blue Collar? The circuits of the RAT and the Blue Collar aren't supposed to be anything alike, but I hear some similarities in the type of distortion that the two pedals give. The EQ is voiced nicely on the Blue Collar.

My personal solution is to use a RAT 2 with an EQ pedal. I like the character of the distortion that the RAT has and then I tweak the EQ for a more singing tone (or cutting, scooped, etc.). It works well for me.

I don't think the OCD and the RAT have much in common, though I've read that the Fulltone Distortion Pro was based off of the RAT design. I had an OCD, but didn't really care for it through brighter amps.

Bryan

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I'd send the Rat to Keeley; my Keeley Rat is KILLER, far beyond what I remembered them to be.

14. jeak

jeak Member

Try a search on "Crunch Box." I read a review or two last week comparing it with a Rat. Haven't heard it myself, but you're right about the price. Worth it just to check out. I have an old mid-1980s Rat, and I agree with you about its shortcomings. Great pedal, but ...

15. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

16. dzo

dzo Member

Is this flexible within the extreme gain realm or is it flexible as an overall distortion pedal?

Thanks.

17. loudboy

loudboy Member

There's a really simple "bleed to ground" mod floating around for Rat's - it tames the fizz and puts it straight into Santana/ABB territory. I've done it to both of my No=LED small box Rats and thru a Bassman or such, it'll stand up to almost any rig out there, for sweet, singing distortion.

Loudboy