• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Distortion after a clean note is played-Solid State Amp

Bob Langston

Pardon if this has been addressed, but I have had a similar problem with a handful of old Solid State amps: On the Clean channel, whenever I play a loud note (especially noticeable with bassier notes), there is a distortion/static sound I hear. The first Amp I noticed this was a Carvin SX-200 2x12 combo. I sold that to a shop and the owner said something about "Bad Output Capacitors". Later i got the same issue with a Fender M-80 Pro head. I used several different speaker cabs and got the same thing. Next came an old Kustom head. I am currently using a Trace Elliot Super Tramp Combo, and have started having the same issue. Is this an indication of capacitor failure? Just looking for a little guidance.

J M Fahey

Very unlikely.
In fact the amps you mention do not even HAVE output capacitors.

Basically:

* if the distorted sound appears at high volume, but dissapears by lowering it, it's typical SS clipping, it's built in.

* if a mid/loud chord sounds fine but when fading you hear a buzzy/raspy sound mixed with it, it's either underbiasing (crossover distortion) or scratching/dirty speaker voice coil.

Trending Topics