Distortion and Vox

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Decept, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Decept

Decept Member

I have an AC30 CC. Looking for a good overdrive/distortion pedal.

I recently purchased a Zvex fuzz factory, which works great on my amp for those fat/smooth meaty tones. But I want something that works for other tones.

All the pedals I have tried have failed to impress me on my vox, but at the same time they sound GREAT on a Marshall. The most recent pedal I have tried is a Fulltone OCD. Which sounded great. I want to know if there is anything better... in your opinion.

I want something similar to this tone:

http://media.zvex.com/boxofrock.mov

Think ACDC, MUSE... basically any pedal that is crounchy and clear for chords other than 5ths and 4ths. And that doesn't break up when I rip into a solo.

Any thoughts?

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Have you tried a Hotcake? set low it can get some beautiful ringing chords.

I also just got a ÷13 Dynaranger for my AC30, and it's another amazing pedal that keeps the chime intact and adds great beef. I highly recommend one of those...every AC30 player needs a treble booster-style pedal!

3. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

4. SebiX

SebiX Member

BJF Dyna Red

5. utterhack

utterhack Member

6. Decept

Decept Member

Yeah, I've tried it on an AC30 and it sounded like butt. Just like the Tonebone that I wasted $270 on. The closest I've come thus far to the tone I want is the OCD. But I don't want to make any final decisions just yet.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

BJF EGDM or RRB. They hold their value extremely well in the used market so there is little risk in buying. Although, you'll keep 'em for sure!

8. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Or that. I actually have the Dyna Red myself, and I've used the EGDM pretty extensively, but I don't own an AC-30. If you want more of a "Marshall" flavor, the Dyna Red is the way to go. If you want more of a "Vox" flavor, the Emerald Green is the one.

9. utterhack

utterhack Member

Interesting... I've been digging it quite a bit, run through the normal channel. Amp EQ setup probably makes a difference as well.

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Hey, getting "good" Marshall-like tone out of a AC30's pretty tough. You can get decent marshall tone, but you're never gonna get great Marshall tone. I thought the Barber pedals could do "decent" marshall type tones. The Problem is, the AC30 is always gonna sound chimey, and no marshall ever sounds that way.

11. Miles

Miles Member

fulltone OCD

or anything by Zvex

Redwitch pedals are fun.

I would personally drive the crap out of the vox and use that for OD

12. Decept

Decept Member

Yeah. Right now I am digging the OCD the most.

I love the sound my AC30 has when I drive it real hard... but I'd rather have a pedal do that so that I can easily switch between real clean tones and overdrive.

13. dave s

dave s Member

My OD and Gain pedals were spec'd for my Matchless and they all work great with the VOX AC30CC2 as well.

Xotic RC and AC Boost pedals and MI Audio Crunch Box for higher gain stuff.

There are a couple of 'can't-miss' ODs that have been recommended at TGP, but from practical experience, the pedals mentioned above are doing a GREAT job for me with the AC30CC2.

dave

14. utterhack

utterhack Member

Have you tried switching between normal and top boost channels with an A/B?

15. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Or use V-30's in a quad or twin box;)

16. Tapp

Tapp Member

OCD is working for me right now with my AC30 thru the Normal channel. I've got a Carb on order so we'll see who wins the battle. I tried a COT50 red that was good but not good enough to knock the OCD off.

Tapp

17. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

Are you guys finding an overdrive or distortion mixes better with the normal channel or top boost channel...or the blended mix?

Right now, have it on the top boost set fairly clean, and adding pedals over it. Gonna try out the blended again, though. Or would the normal channel be better with a treble boost (like Catalinbread SCP) as its base sound. Also, should I have the SCP as an "always on" in the top boost channel?

Slightly off-topic...

18. Decept

Decept Member

Well please excuse my ignorance here then. I have had little experience with Tube Amps thus far in my guitar-playing career. The AC30CC is the first all-tube amp I have played on... so please excuse the stupidity of the following question:

I did not know that you could plug into both channels and use an A/B. I had heard that there were some complaints about how Vox did not include a line switcher on the amp, so I assumed that I shouldn't plug into both. I would like further explaniation on this idea. :D

Once again, my lack of proper lingo prohibits me from understanding that. Haha...

Shame on me.

19. Teahead

Teahead Member

20. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

÷13 DYNARANGER!