Distortion Demo Day at the Used Store

PhuzzphayzZ

I HAD to return the Pigtronix Polysaturator due to snowstorm white noise. I really did like the pedal, but, yea, that noise came thru loud and clear at last night's gig. No money to buy today, but I did demo:

1) Charlie Brown: not enough Gain distortion... I take it it's a "heavy OD"? Quiet.

2) Zendrive (don't know which version; grey w/tube pic): wow, the least Gain pedal I've ever heard... so this is what Robin whatsisname wants to sound like (or does)? Obviously meant for cleam amP?

3) OCD (don't know which): the 2nd one I've demoed. Still had that same fizzy fuzzy thing I noticed with the GC one. I sure has its own little thing going on- words like "squishy" "the good kind of woofy"- it did seem to be a little darker than what I'd really want, but I have to admit this brand is a contender for me. Quiet.

SD Palladium: wooooooooah,.... Sustain FOR DAYS!!!!! wow wow wow... this thing really impressed me as a Distortion pedal. It seems like a super MXR... maybe Keeley Filaments... just a really classic Distortion sound here. very impressed. obviously quiet...

Rat SOLO: OK, so, finally, after 40 years, I tried a Rat. YES, OK, I'M A CONVERT, I UNDERSTAND... it did what the Polysaturator and the Palladium did, obviously quieter than the Poly... less knobs than Palladium... dialed it in to the guitar/amp I was playing, and sure, they was "searing lead" tone... so of course I have to ask about the different rats now...

Well, I left without a box, but I feel I did my day's work there, the most important discovering that CharlieBrown and Zendrive were way lower Gain than I had ever imagined. OCD would be the least amount of Gain I could use for "searing leads"... I would have loved to have stacked the Rat with the Zen or ChBrown...

ahhh, if I didn't have a loud amp headache now...

LordThurisaz

You wanted the JHS Angry Charlie; the Charlie Brown is JTM 45 ish. The Angry Charlie is supposed to be higher gain 800/900 Marshall territory. That said, of all of the Marshall in a box style pedals, I didn't get along with it.

The Solo is sort of a Rat-ish pedal, but with quite a few interesting/weird changes. I have quite a few Rat pedals, but I have not tried a Solo. Either way, my favorite set up is a Tube Scream style circuit into a Rat style circuit. I have several of both circuits. An MXR Custom Badass Modified OD (based on an SD-1/Wylde Overdrive with some changes) and a modded Rat will likely get a lot of cool tones. You can find the MXR used on Reverb for around $50 or so.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
What amp did you use, what amp volume/gain setting, and single coil or Humbucker? Those things have a big impact on what an OD/distortion sounds like.

PhuzzphayzZ

What amp did you use, what amp volume/gain setting, and single coil or Humbucker? Those things have a big impact on what an OD/distortion sounds like.
It was a Fendery amp... 'Georgia Satellites' crunch... on this amp that meant '10'. (MasterVol on 2) Bridge Humbucker on some LP style Used guitar they had hanging...

I basically tried to match the pedal to the amp tone, and then start tweaking, constantly A/B-ing until I got the sweet spot.

PhuzzphayzZ

The Solo is sort of a Rat-ish pedal, but with quite a few interesting/weird changes. I have quite a few Rat pedals, but I have not tried a Solo. so.
"Rat-ish"??? It isn't a ...sorta... RAT+, or RAT II ?? Deluxe RAT?? lol...RatDeluxe, I like it!

Also intrigued by "interesting/weird changes"... there was the Gain "switch"... the middle seemed right to me. The 2 Tone controls instead of 1 seemed to still want to "act as one".

I was able to dial in what I liked about the Polysaturator, but without all that unbelievable hissy hiss...

Well? If I'm looking for "searing leads" and here is the Rat "SOLO"...hmm... the "solo" must be for that extra Tone+Gain control... between this and the OCD, this has MOAR,... (that SD Palladium, tho, wow,... that is the MOAREST!!!)...

I'm glad I didn't have cash in hand... marination is crucial,lol

Trending Topics