• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Distortion - Dyna Red or Hermida?

CWK

I'm looking to buy a distortion pedal. Would appreciate if your thoughts on the Dyna Red and Hermida distortions.

Thanks.

cedjazz

DRD is killer! Dynamics and low noise. not much compression either. you should consider the MRD too.( by Mad Proffessor)

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
If you have the coin go for the Dyna red, heard great things.

I have a Hermida Distortion and I really like it, but it has less gain than I was expecting. Its not that much more gain than a Mosferatu and well less than a MI audio Crunchbox. Its still a really nice pedal, great for alternative/punk rock and classic rock.

geetarman

Gold Supporting Member
I have not tried the Hermida but did own a Dyna red for some time and it was by far the best distortion pedal I had played. If your goal is nice Marshally tones with good string to string articulation than it may be right choice.

rawkguitarist

I'll echo here... yes, the DRD is the best distortion pedal I've ever heard. Melds with lots of amps, very well. Definitely has a hot rodded Marshall flavor to it, but it's still got a nice fairly even EQ response. Can do killer low gain stuff too. You just have to set the tone control for the gain level you're using. The higher the gain, you'll want to attenuate the highs a bit. Lower gain, you'll probably want to boost the highs.

Regarding Bjorn, the designer. He's IMO *the* coolest guitar gear builder there is. And he's got some stiff competition in my book since I've gotten to know some pretty cool gear builders.

Haven’t played the Hermida Distortion, but have read (in Guitar Player I believe) that it doesn't have a lot of gain. But, the DRD isn't extremely high gain either, but it's still has more distortion than most people would need.

Yr Blues

Silver Supporting Member
Once Bjorn is finished with my CAF, I'm ordering a DRD. I have to pace my budget. I figure it'll be the last pedal I order for an extremely long time, even though I'm GASing for the RRB. :facepalm

slopeshoulder

My Hermida has an astounding tone (but no it is not a super high gain pedal, but it has plenty of gain for miost things).
I do recall reading some mixed reviews of DRD before fanboyistis took over.

I would highly recommend the Zendrive. I have both the original and the Zen II. They both sound fabulous and I've never had moments trouble with either of them and.........Alf is the man!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom