Distortion for low gain uses

biffbangpow13

I am currently playing with a Bearfoot Dyna Red distortion as my main dirt pedal and it sounds great.
I was wondering if you have considered or are using sometimes a distortion for your low gain needs ?

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Silver Supporting Member
Dyna Red is a great pedal for that. I don't use distortions for that often, but I can get great low gain tones with certain fuzzes. Analogman Sunfaces in particular.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
ThorpyFX Warthog excels at low gain.

MissoulaGriz

This is the answer! It's hard to beat a Rat set at low gain.
The secret to the Rat is to dial your overdrive in with the guitar volume rolled back to 6 or 7. That's your rhythm crunch tone. Roll it up to 7 or 8 and that's your lead tone.

I use a Rat into a Vox with the gain low and the volume high and it sounds amazing.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I am currently playing with a Bearfoot Dyna Red distortion as my main dirt pedal and it sounds great.
I was wondering if you have considered or are using sometimes a distortion for your low gain needs ?

The Maxon DS-830 Distortion Master, part of the Maxon Vintage Series is amazing at not only Distortion, but everything from amp Booster, barely breaking up OD to good old awesome heavy break up OD.

Seriously it's a very versatile pedal, severely underrated and barely mentioned and the fact it actually has a Bass and a Treble knob rather than just a Tone knob, helps dialing it with most amps and guitars.

The tone and feel of the pedal is amazing. If some small batch boutique company that people go nuts over, like Spaceman, it would be in crazy demand. But since it's Maxon, a lot of people tend to over look it.

VHS analog

Silver Supporting Member
Ocd clone for me right now. The gain knob is nearly off.
i like my old DS1 with the gain knob all the way down but the buffers are intolerable so it sits on the shelf.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member

I've found the Colorsound Overdriver to work great for lower gain drive. You can get clones dirt cheap, and sounds great with my Rickenbacker 6 and 12s through my Vox amps.

Biff Bang Pow-do it right now!(;

Love me some "Creation", and Eddie Phillips was the guy Jimmy Page got the idea of playing the guitar with a violin bow from.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
The Barber Gain Changer in the UnLtD setting blurs the line between distortion and OD. Dial the gain at or just below noon and it responds well to guitar volume knob and pick attack. It's a very underrated "distortion" box IMHO.

biffbangpow13

there are plenty of Distortions used in the low gain context, @MissoulaGriz yes the Rat sounds awesome with these settings, I agree that the gain changer is "in between" nd has so many possibilities, @WhoJamFan saw Coloursound overdriver demo ... beautiful (yes Eddie Phillips was a Rnr genius ;))

I have got a question, why some distortions don't sound good a low gain settings, I think about specific high gain ones like angry charlie or Suhr Riot for example ?

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
They aren't meant too. High gain pedals are voiced to work with higher noise floors and high end content, so at lower gain levels, can sound dull and lifeless. Otherwise, when you crank up the gain, all you get is an overbearing bees nest of noise you can't dial out.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
there are plenty of Distortions used in the low gain context, @MissoulaGriz yes the Rat sounds awesome with these settings, I agree that the gain changer is "in between" nd has so many possibilities, @WhoJamFan saw Coloursound overdriver demo ... beautiful (yes Eddie Phillips was a Rnr genius ;)

I often wonder what The Who would have sounded like if he had accepted Pete Townshends offer to join the group as a lead guitarist.

gearscrubs

Bogner Burnley sounds great at lower gain settings (Tight mode, gain around 9 o'clock). Problem is, it sounds so amazing at higher gain settings, I rarely use it for low gain.

joealba

Silver Supporting Member
Box of Rock at 11 o'clock is my (almost) "always on" pedal -- along with my El Cap. Stack other drives into it for awesomeness.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom