Distortion lead pedal for Tele in to clean amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I need a big thick distortion sound for hard rock tele leads into a fender amp. Notes need a lot of hang time, no buzz and definition but not a hard or harsh sound.

Here is what has not worked for me (although they are great pedals)... bad monkey, timmy, bb, crunch body. Limitations were either buzzy, not thick enough, too compressed or not enough hang time.

2. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

big thick lead tone for tele into clean fender amp? Big Muff or variant. Smooooooooth

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I've had great success w/ Tele ->
    Mule
    Phoenix Ranger
    Rat
    Fuzz Head
    Distortion+
    Micro Amp
    (not at the same time) into a Fender-style amp, (Celestion speakers.)

4. Webfoot

Are any of these a 'budget' pedal?

Would any of the barber pedals work for this?

I tried the small fry and it was not my type of voicing but maybe the direct drive is more marshall and thicker. I did try a crunch box and it was too gainy... if only it could be dropped a bit less in gain it could of been the answer.

5. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

Keeley RAT all the way!

6. HBob

HBob Member

If the crunch box was fairly close, you might try their Tube Zone. ( 6 knob )
    There are a lot more options for shaping the tone and it is very versatile. It does take a little tweaking to figure out how the knobs work, but after you get it down it's a snap to dial in different tones. It sounds great with my teles and does a huge range of tones from clean boost to overdrive to metal. Great box.

7. bluelew

bluelew Member

Hermida Mosferatu = phat!

8. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

9. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Barber Electronics Small Fry - $149.95 and very tweakable with its toggles and internal trims - the note shape trim can really thicken the notes off a biteing tele...

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I`m having pretty good luck w/ a Fulltone OCD pedal. I`m in the proccess of trying to reduce the bass response a little. I hear that the Jetter Gainstage Red is exc. also! Good luck!

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

12. codeorama

codeorama Member

For lead tones... Big Muff, definately.

13. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

The Barber Direct Drive would work great. It is a bit more on the Marshally side than the Small Fry. Just make sure to pull out the push/pull tone knob for a fatter sound with more gain.

14. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

I always gig with a Tele into a Twin and I keep coming back to my old first-edition Barber Burn Unit for soloing. Sometimes I kick in my RC Booster in front of it, but I find it has plenty of gain on it's own, and also the pedal is voiced dark enough to work great with my fairly bright rig. I just scored a Small Fry from the emporium and am anxious to see how that will work for me as well.

Edit: Oops, sorry Webfoot just saw your reply that the Small Fry didn't work so well for you. I should read the entire thread before I post I suppose. Regarding Barber pedals a lot of Tele+clean amp players here in Nashville have Direct Drives on their boards and they sound great, though I haven't played one myself.

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Fulltone FD2 with boost works for me.Even brings the neck pickup in to play..
    Tele-FD2-Vibroking=big thick distortion with sustain..

16. Webfoot

guitbeef... I thought I had heard the small fry sounds more american amp like and the direct drive is more marshally... but not sure where the burn unit sits. So am now curious how the direct drive compares to the burn unit.

17. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I think the Burn Unit is very similar to the Small Fry. The Direct Drive may work for you...

18. Mike T

Mike T Member

I use a BOR into a Reverand which I keep set on the clean side with my Tele, and it is great. I have no complaints.

19. cugel

cugel Member

hot cake
    simply smokes into a clean 18 watt clone set for med-hi gain
    guitar is a tele with lollars
    best tone i have had in my hands
    i keep the presence on the HC down and the amp tone is on 2-3

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Not to be picky but, to me, alot of the above mentioned pedals are usually described as overdrives. A distortion pedal generally means higher gain pedals. I have a ton of OD pedals but the one distortion I settled on for my Tele through a BF Super Revrb is the Emma Reezafratzitz. It is a very warm, thick, almost "organic" distortion and the few times when our set list calls for it, I really dig getting those higher gain tones with the Reeza.