Distortion/OD pedal for slide

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeS, Aug 19, 2005.

1. MikeS

MikeS Member

The never ending search for tonal bliss continues. I'm looking for something that works well for slide. What I've been using is a modified Boss SD-1 and a compressor in front of that. The SD-1 has ge diode and a fat boost. It's ok, but I keep thinking there's something better.

Most of us here have heard/seen the Greg Germino clips where he's playing the Gold Top straight into one of his amps. Even though I know you can't cop that tone with a pedal, I'd like to find something that's open and airy like that... Something that sustains nicely, and isn't too buzzy, but has a nice top end.

Some pedals I've tried

Keeley Blues Driver... Not full enough, too much highend when you turn up the gain.

Analongman DS-1... too buzzy/fizzy sounding, not natural sounding

Barber Direct Drive... Too compressed, too smooth and pretty, too many mids

Digitech Bad Monkey... Too closed in, too smooth, not enough sustain.

If I had to put my finger on the problem with all of these, it's that they're not open enough... too synthetic.

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts. I'd love to be able to just crank up the old Marshall and let 'er rip, but the reality of it is, the band does too wide of variety to use that amp all the time. I gotta have something with a wider variety of tones available throughout the night.

2. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    www.hermidaaudio.com

Great mp3s, dont know if the Mosferato is really that good for slide but great clips

3. erksin

erksin Member

The Mos is great for that - if you'd like a little less gain and compression, go with the Zendrive.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I always liked the Fulldrive II for slide.

5. MikeS

MikeS Member

Bump.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks Ya'll!

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

I used a FD2 also for several years and now use a modded SD1 myself. I do need a compressor now, the FD2 added enough compression but there is very little (not enough for me anyway!) w/ the SD1. I do like the SD1 w/asymmetical clipping -it's nice and raspy sounding!!

7. MikeS

MikeS Member

I've been using a Direct Drive and a modded SD-1 on my board most currently. My SD-1 is modded with a silicon/ge diode switch selector and a fat boost switch. It's pretty decent with a CS-2 comp in front of it, but I'm still looking for that holy grail tone in a pedal. This SD-1 is about the closest I've found so far.

8. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I'm going to suggest two tube units.

SIB Varidrive and the Hot Chilli Tubester. They both kill for fat sweet slide tones. And there is no way these units sound fake. YOu won't need a compressor either.

Bob

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

Cool! I'm building an orange squeezer at the moment and see how that works! Hard to believe that I chose a modded SD1 over the Fulldrive, but I like it enough to have sold my FD2!!

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

A Hotcake can give some pretty wicked slide tones with the gain up.

11. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

12. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

Don't forget the Fatdrive! :dude

13. MikeS

MikeS Member

Hey Randy,

Very nice! What amp/guitar were you using on that clip?

14. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

The amp is a 30 watt Bogner Metropolis set on Schizo 3, which boosts the highs and lows.

The guitar is a MIM Telecaster with a Fralin Blues Special in the neck position, and an Antiquity Tele in the bridge. It also has Stew-Mc compensated brass saddles.

The Eternity was set with the volume @ about 10 o'clock, the treble @ about noon, and the clip @ about 1 o'clock. Lately, I've been using it with the controls set @ 2, 10 and 10. The volume on the guitar is set about half-way up, and I roll up for leads. Very cool pedal. I use the fat chip, which has some added cholesterol/tweed type tones.

Randy

15. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Some may disagree with me on this with me, but the guitarist in my last band did all the slide work and all he would use when playing slide was a les paul, a reissue super reverb and a rat pedal. No mods, nothing fancy, and he sounded amazing, really got that gritty allman tone. I personally hate the rat pedal, but it sounded amazing when he would use it for slide, and only slide.

16. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

A friend of mine gets the biggest fattest slide tone using a Super, a Vintage Rat and an SG

I think that a McFuzz would kick ass too.

17. aquadog

aquadog Member

A mcfuzz definately kicks ass.

Timmy would be nice too- I can coax some great tones by cranking my sunn and hitting the front with the timmy, particularly as a boost.
    Would still like to try the luxury drive though.

18. blueprint

blueprint Member

My 1 cent...
    I play mostly slide with a Tele squier into either a Matchless chieftain or a Mesa DC5.
    I have many dirtboxes, and THE one which seems the best for that use is the Lovepedal Eternity.
    But that's me, I don't even know what guitar and amp you use, so...
    :rolleyes:

19. Marcello

Marcello Member

mi audio blue boy, highly tweakable, lots of gain on tap, very versatile and decent price. Try it, it's awesome.