Distortion/Overdrive Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frankhuzzah, Feb 10, 2006.

1. frankhuzzah

frankhuzzah Member

I'm looking for a distortion or overdive pedal to augment my 'normal' amp crunch. Basically, my problem is that whenever I add a distortion pedal to my sound everything becomes very muddy and I have the amazing ability to make my guitars sound craplicious. I'm trying to get my sound to go from a good British crunch to a higher gain sound.

I've got a Analogman TS9, EHX Big Muff, and a Turbo Rat right now. I've been trying to use the TS9 as a boost for lead passages. The Rat and Muff both sound great on their own, but added to the crunch sound terrible.

I'm fairly certain that my amp, a Marshall VS265R (please don't make fun, I was young and stupid) is a large part of the problem. I bought the damn thing way back as a total gear neophyte and, until recently, never gigged enough to spend the money on a 'proper' amp. Now I'm saving for a 'real' amp, you know, with tubes and everything, but need sort of a stopgap.

My main two guitars are my Paisley Telecaster equipped with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders and an Epiphone Supernova loaded with Gibson '57 classics. The basic sounds I'm trying to get are my 'general' Britpop-ish crunch, to a heavier Spacehog/Weezer distortion, then to a higher gain sound.

Thanks a lot for any help!

2. nsriley

nsriley Member

Hmmm. Well I would say you could try a ToneBone Hot British pedal and use it as your source of OD and run the amp clean. They sound great and can get pretty gainy, hence the 'Hot British' title.

-peace
    -Nate

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

In this case, I'd suggest a Tonebone but not the HotBritish I'd suggest the Classic. It's funny to me that Radial (tonebone) states that the Classic is an "American" tone much like a classic "Fender". But this couldn't be further from the truth. I've never heard a Fender sound as tight and smooth as the Classic when it's cranked. The Classic is simply a great all around OD-to-Distortion pedal. For Britpop, I'd be heasitant to play the HotBritish into a clean Valvestate Marshall. Would probably sound pretty dang heavy. IMO, the Tonebone Classic is the abslolute best all around versitile distortion pedal... have to say though, it's more like a good tube preamp than a distortion pedal.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I just got a Keeley modded BD2. It has fantastic range and it really does sound like somebody took a carpet off my amp when I use it. I could not believe the difference. I think that pedal would help you get close to just about anything you like.

Good luck!

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Did you try a different stacking order?

6. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

+1 on the tonebone classic! Works good on a clean amp or a mildly
    overdriven amp. Doesn't color the sound and adds great overdrive!
    Rob

7. frankhuzzah

frankhuzzah Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'd heard a lot of good things about the Hot British and the Classic. Looks like you can pick them up for around $100 of eBay.

I'd also heard quite a bit about the DNA Gain Fxxker. I realize that pedal is quite a bit more, for some reason it has piqued my interested. Perhaps that doesn't work quite as well with the crap amp I've got or maybe it is too much gain for my purposes.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I just picked up an Xotic BB Preamp whichis very transparent, has a very smooth, "natural amplike" compression. It can also work as a clean boost, and the ability to add treble and pull out bass if necessary. On its own, even with the gain maxed out, it retains a lot of clarity which should help your situation. Also the fact that it isn't a fuzz or heavy distortion but more like an overdrive should help avoid the problems some fuzz pedals have when mixing with other distortions and the amp. I don't know your settings, but you might want to experiment with lowering the gain on the amp and see if that helps at all.

But $100 for the Hot British and the Classic sounds like a pretty good deal too (and for almost half the price of the BB)!

Brett

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Get the classic!

I've been a long time skeptic of pedal type dist tones and the classic really changed my mind. I play in a band which play everything from hard rock to metal. I can get a really good shred type tone and even really clean overdrives with my tone bone classic, stick an RC booster behind it and you're in heaven! :)