Distortion pedal + Clean amp = Modern Metal Tones???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fearhk213, Feb 16, 2009.

1. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

Something I've always been curious about since there are lots of options for distortion pedals these days and some really nice clean amps. Is there really a viable option for someone who plays something a clean based amp like the Fuchs Clean Machine or something like that to run a distortion pedal into the front and get modern metal high gain tones (i.e. Uberschall, HG Jose, etc)? I'm not talking "that's good enough" type tones, but viable tones that don't sound like pedals and have amp-like dynamics and that could hang with the mentioned amps. They have some mid-gain pedals like the Kar-Krash that are amazingly amplike and dynamic, but is the a distortion box out there like that?

I'm not planning on parting with the Uber anytime soon, just curious.

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

The Skreddy Top Fuel comes to mind for me. It has that clean, compressed, metal-ish drive sound. And with a fairly clean amp.

3. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I was thinking about this, but I don't really know of a pedal that will give you that Uberschall sound into a clean amp. I think the new wampler pedal is going to sound very good for this type of application which is why I intend to get it once it comes out. Other than that, hard to tell.

I have tried several high gain pedals just to find that they are either too muddy, to compressed, too shrill, or too processed and therefore have a very hard time cutting trough in a band situation. That mid bark that you get from a high gain amp just seems too difficult to replicate in a pedal, but that new Recstortion (???) pedal seems to come very close. Check it out.

4. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I'll be posting some files shortly of our "Noxious" pedal. It does stupid high and higher gain tones through most anything, that might surprise you ! I'm cutting some stuff through a Hot Rod Deluxe and a BF Twin that sound like Uber-tones.... :)

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Now, I do like the sounds of this!
    When can we expect to hear this gem?

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Listen to the Pinnacle or Super Plextortion pedal from Wampler Pedals.

7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I'm practicing my best metal riffs as we speak....lol.

Hopefully not long. :RoCkIn

af

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I can hardly wait!

9. SGosden

SGosden Member

have you tried or heard the zvex box of metal? seems pretty killer too me, there is a demo on the website of it through a clean fender amp

:)

10. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

The Barber Dirty Bomb is the best I've played on

11. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

Thanks for the input so far.

Anyone tried some of the offerings from the AMT line? Some of those sound very impressive.

I haven't. I'll check those out when I get home and can listen to clips.

12. EffectsGuru

EffectsGuru Member

Well, the best clean amp every made is a ROALND JC-120, metallica uses it, and Sublime's guitarst and lead singer used it (I know Sublime IS NOT metal), that gets the best clean tones, and it's THE ONLY solid state amp I would ever recommend or consider using. I don't understand why you would want to use a clean amp and a pedal for metal tones, it makes much more sense to use a high gain tube amp to me. You would be better off with one of the following: ENGL Powerball E 645 (this is the one I reccomend most for a MODERN HIGH GAIN TONE), Mesa Mark IV or V (mesa mark V will be out VERY soon), Marshall JCM 800 (the old ones not the reissues)with a MXR Distortion +, Diezel VH4 ( the main amp behind TOOL's sound, no longer made but can be found on Ebay).... Really the best thing you can do for yourself is to research what your favorite metal band is using and GET IT, I spent years tone chasing, using all kinds of amps and pedal combinations, and that great and all, but I never nailed it, until I started really looking into what my favorite bands are using, and for punk rock like I listen too, there are basically 2 amps... the JCM800 (great for metal too, but needs a pedal), and teh MESA MARK IV (great for punk, can do metal, but some would say there isn't enough gain... I think they're full of ****).

-I used to work for Satin :Devil

13. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

lol satin? I worked for polyester.

14. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

lol

15. Zero

Zero Member

H&K Warp Factor.

16. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

I don't see why not. As long as you're heaping on the compression, I'm not sure why it would matter if it's coming from the circuit of an amp's channel two, or from a box at your feet going through a tube amp.

When I have to melt faces, I usually hit the Rat. Thick, meaty, potentially nasty sound that cuts like a knife. To me, all other "metal" tones sound tame in comparison.

17. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

A Jetter Purple evokes Marshall hi gain & variable tonality though any amp

18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

19. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

I'm happy with my current set up (I did say I wasn't planning on selling my Uber anytime soon). I just started the thread to figure out what's out there pedal wise that the guys who occassionally need something really heavy are using and if there is anything that is doing an exceptional job pulling it off.

20. joachiml

joachiml Member

I'm currently playing a Metal Muff through a Tiny Terror. Works for me.