Distortion Pedal Clip

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SFW, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SFW

SFW Member

Over the past two weeks I have recommended the Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor pedal in several distortion pedal threads. I’ve noticed that these posts have gone without comment for the most part. I figure that this is due to one of two reasons… 1. TGP members just haven’t heard the pedal or don’t know much about it. Or 2, they don’t consider it to be a high dollar/ high quality unit.

So I decided that I should make a clip using the pedal to show what it sounds like. My band is in the beginning stages of recording our new album. So last night I miced up my cab and hit the Warp Factor and let the tape roll. The pedal will get much heavier that what you will hear in the clip. I am running the gain just above noon. Tone around 10 and volume at 1. I think it sounds very amp like. Amp was a Carvin Legacy on the clean channel through a Marshall 1960AX cab with greenbacks. Recorded with an Audix i5 mic in Qbase.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=760600&songID=6175049

2. SFW

SFW Member

one bump before I let it all into oblivion....

3. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

4. funkycam

funkycam Member

Good sound, but I gotta say the most useful pedal clips I hear are comparisons between the clean sound & then with the pedal in on various licks.

5. shood

shood Member

Nice sound and playing, thanks for the clip

6. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Pretty nice.. sounds pretty close to some amps. What can you tell us about this thing? Is that just the pedal or is it pushing an amp with the preamp turd up a tad?

7. SFW

SFW Member

Pedal was set- Gain: 12:30, Tone (warp): 9, Vol: 1

Amp (Carvin Legacy) on clean channel- this thing doesn't breakup in the clean channel. Treble: 1, Mids: 9, Bass: 1, vol: 9

The Warp Factor was marketed as a "NuMetal" pedal, but I find that it does nice thick rock tones very well. I recently got my Tube Factor in, so I'll try to make some comparison clips soon. The Warp Factor has a ton of gain on tap. Comes with a 12v wall wart. H&K says that they use higher voltages to get the "preamp" pedal to completely take over the amps clean tone. (This has been a major battle for me with the VS Jekyll & Hyde, as well as the MI Crunch box.) With the tone and gain knobs set low, it will cop some nice early Van Halen type tones.

hope that answers your questions... if not, ask away!

Joel