Distortion Pedal with tone of original Scholz Rockman?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sockeye, Sep 17, 2008.

1. sockeye

sockeye Supporting Member

Anyone know if such a thing exists? Not the echo or chorus, necessarily but the distortion (and compression?) parts of the sound. It was a pretty unique & useful tone and I'm just wondering if there's a stompbox that would get you close...or if not, if anyone has a schematic.

(I'm talking about the original, early-80s version of course...)

thanks!

John

2. dsl

dsl Member

The Fulltone Distortion Pro was advertised as:

"Not a FUZZ! The greatest hi-gain sounds you can imagine, from Brian May to Boston, Holdsworth to EJ in a little metal box -- dripping with harmonics and feel -- unlimited shades of dirty, crunchy, Bluesey, and it even cleans up well as you turn the guitar's volume knob down. Leave the pedal on and do everything from the guitar!
    "

Although - the two I've owned in the past didn't really nail that "Boston" sound for me.

YMMV :huh

3. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Personally, I think only the Rockman nails the Rockman sound.

4. Burgs

Burgs Member

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I am curious about the Zed but more for the claims of ZZ Top Eliminator tones. Gotta hear this one and also ask Brian if it can also capture the Rhythmeen tones which are absolutely killer classic Billy G.

6. spentron

spentron Member

*Any* distortion through a lot of chorus?

Sorry. Seriously, the Rockman used compression as well as distortion to get that sound. Probably has more of the stuff he used on his Marshall than the Marshall itself, the distortion looks pretty generic in the circuits shown in his patents. Sometimes compression follows distortion, sometimes not. Warning, many guitar compressors suck.

7. ArcNSpark

ArcNSpark Member

http://www.rockman.fr/Reviews/Last.htm

The Ultimatum was the only actual distortion pedal Scholz produced. Never
    heard one. Think there are a bit different then the Rockman sound your talking about. Your best bet would be to get a Sustainor, that sound is in there.

8. sockeye

sockeye Supporting Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not interested in the post-Dunlop stuff, nor am I particularly after a ZZ Top or Boston sound, or the sound of a Marshall on a recording. (I am a big fan of the mid-80s sound of Curt Kirkwood of the Meat Puppets -- he was both a Gibbons fan and a user of the Rockman on records.) My brother had one of the original '82 models, and I borrowed it for awhile and used to use it to record onto a PortaStudio. It sounded really good, considering the lo-tech approach. No amp, no cab -- and this was before Sans Amp or any of that. I think as others have said it's not just the on/off distortion circuit, it's also the compression and early cabinet modeling. Anyway, I'm not someone who uses distortion/fuzz/overdrive of any kind much, but that's a sound I might like to have in a pedal.

Thanks again -- that Zed looks like something to keep an eye out for.

John

9. telelion

telelion Member

I liked the sound and find it under-rated in the annals of the history of gear. Except I think it was the combination of the distortion, compression, and chorus. Turn off the chorus and I thought it went downhill. That may partially have been due to the ear fatigue because the chorus gave you stereo which made it less fatiguing. Those with the Sustainer would know the answer to that.

It should be mentioned too that there is a cult that finds the Sholtz's seperate chorus and echo units as exceptional, unique, and unequalled.

10. Zero

Zero Member

I picked up this Korg Classic Overdrive 105od and was really hating it through amps. I then on a whim set it to "Line" (has "Amp/Line" selection) & plugged it into a full range set-up and liked it. As I played it more it started to dawn on me that it sounds like a Rockman, minus echo and/or chorus.

11. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

you mean you don't want to prance around on stage with a distortion pedal attached to your hip?