Distortion Pedals Layered on Top of Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lockjawpony, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Lockjawpony

Lockjawpony Member

Hello all,

I'm looking into getting a distortion pedal that sounds good layered on top of Overdrive.

The basic idea is that for most of my solo project songs I have the verse sections with me playing with a simply bluesy Overdrive (Fulltone OCD at the moment) and then the chorus is a loud gritty distortion.

I was using Dwarfcraft Devices: The Internet for this because it has two switches on the pedal that give you an overdrive and then when you engage the second switch it goes into a gritty distortion that sounds great. But I find that The Internet's overdrive only setting does not sound as good as my OCD. And while the two buttons pressed sound good, they do not layer well over the OCD and to get the two sounds I want I would have to stomp 3 switches at the same time.

So I'm trying to find a really beefy and gritty distortion pedal that will sound good layered on top of my OCD. So I would have the OCD on the whole song and just hit the distortion during the heavy parts.

The tone I'm looking for is something along the lines of Soundgarden. So something really heavy with lots of low end for power chords and rhythm work.

Anybody do something similar or know of any pedals that will get me where I need to be? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

What about another OCD?

3. logang

logang Member

Tubescreamer type pedals blend alright with OCDs as well as more subtle "transparent" trebly overdrives in the klon vein. You can get a good stacked sounding crunch into a clean to cleanish amp.

If you want it to sound seriously "gritty" you might be talking something more in the distortion to fuzz range which would really require a different kind of pedal altogether.

Got any examples from songs maybe?

4. Lockjawpony

Lockjawpony Member

Outshined by Soundgarden

http://youtu.be/sNh-iw7gsuI

5. Lockjawpony

Lockjawpony Member

I've actually resolved my differences with The Internet and it sounds good to me again. So I don't think I'm going to replace it with anything at the moment. Sometimes I hear things and they sound off then I'll take a break and come back 10 minutes later and it will sound perfect again. Weird.

6. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

"Analysis is paralysis"....Quincy Adams

7. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Jekyll and Hyde by Visual Sound. Play the Jekyll for rhythm and then kick in the Hyde for the distortion parts. They stack so well together and sound huge IMO.

8. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Turbo Rat in front of any overdrive works great for that, if you ever change your mind again.

9. Lockjawpony

Lockjawpony Member

Yeah, the guitarist in my other band used to use one. He switched to a Fuzz pedal. Maybe I can steal it from him and try it out with my rig.