• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Distortion pedals with 12ax7's the definitive list.

pfrischmann

Hi guys,
I'm on a search for a distortion pedal with 12ax7's. Really a preamp. I'd prefer one that uses a built in transformer to get the tubes cooking at the correct voltages but..let's just see where this goes. I'll start.

Tone bone...Hot British, classic
Chandler ..Tube driver
Tube works..Tube driver
Badcat...Two tone, Xtreme
Soldano..GTO
Mesa
Budda........Any more

B

Bill D

Koch Pedaltone
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Hughes & Kettner Tubeman
SIB Varidrive
Siegmund Missing Link

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by pfrischmann
Chandler ..Tube driver
Tube works..Tube driver
Mesa
Budda.....
Don't forget that Tube Works puts out the Real Tube and the Blue Tube, too. The RT and BT have detented bass, mid, and treble knobs. (Ibanez Tube King also has three tone controls, and was made by Tube Works.) All have the built in power supply.

Mesa's V-Twin (bass, mid, treble, and presence) and Bottle Rocket (bass and treble) both have dual 12AX7s. Don't know if they have the internal power supply, though.

Budda's Phatman and Zenman both have dual 12AX7s, and their Phatbass has 12AT7s in it. They all have bass and treble knobs, but they need the external adaptor.

John Phillips

The two Mesa models are completely different - the V-1 is a tube overdrive pedal, the V-Twin is a preamp that happens to be in a floor box. They're totally different in sound and application, don't confuse the two - it depends on what you want it for as to which is best.

Guyatone made one (I can't remember the model number/name) that I thought sounded quite good, although it was years ago when I had one.

Tube Works made the Real Tube and Blue Tube, and I'm sure the Dean Markley Overlord was actually made by them too, since it's identical in construction, although more aggressive-sounding.

(These are all overdrive pedals.)

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
NADY had one made (in Japan?) with two knobs and AC power, sounds pretty good.
I always thought that the starved tube technology in the Chandler/Butler/Ibanez ones sounded harsh.
Siegmund built another, simpler device before the missing link-AC powered, more of a first gain stage than an OD pedal (forget the name).

dazco

Dean Markley "Overlord". Worse tube overdrive known to man. Possibly worth the price just for a really good laugh, but nothing more.

pfrischmann

Almost forgot the Gjika...Not really sure what to call it...an uber pedal...a really small amp. I wish he made one that sounded like a marshall.

John Phillips

Originally posted by drbob1
NADY had one made (in Japan?) with two knobs and AC power, sounds pretty good.
I've heard that this is the Guyatone relabeled, but I don't know for sure since I've never seen the Nady version.

Originally posted by dazco
Dean Markley "Overlord". Worse tube overdrive known to man. Possibly worth the price just for a really good laugh, but nothing more.
+1. I forgot that bit :).

908SSP

Does anybody uses any of these for a zero gain tube buffer? The first thing in your chain connected to the guitar to feed a low impedance signal through your effects and to the amp?

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
Electro Harmonix currently makes a couple of different ones.

Also, someone mentioned H&K. If you're looking for all possible versions, there were two very different H&K Tubeman pedals.

First version:

Current version:

Both of these are really tube preamps. Their Tube Factor pedal is a more traditional stomp box.

fatback

J.T. Pedals, Valveboy. It's similar to a V-Twin but a little less compressed to my ears. I've also owned V-twins, a Chandler, a Koch Pedaltone (what a monster!), and a SIB. The Valveboy works best for me.

Anyone who owns a tube pedal od/pre-amp and a COT50 owes it to themselves to try running the the COT50, set very low, as a boost/tone-shaper before the tube pedal. This combo simply kills for singing single coil lead sounds. :dude

Trending Topics