Distortion Suggestions For BF Pro Reverb and Strat/Tele

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RedLizard, Jan 12, 2006.

1. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I play electric blues (or try to) through single coils into either a '65 Fender Pro Reverb or a '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb and I'm very happy with my clean and edge of breakup sounds, but I get these occasional urges to pull out my LP Standard or Deluxe and go for some heavier tones. By heavier, I mean I want to be able to do Judas Priest, Sabbath and Rush as well as classic rock crunch at neighbor-friendly volumes.

My PodXT ain't cutting it and I'd rather not go out and buy an amp for these twice a month urges, so looking for suggestions on distortion pedals that might work well with Fralin humbuckers and my Fender amps. Something that will work well with my Strat/Tele's with single coil pickups (Lollar, Fralin & Suhr) would be a bonus.

I'm not looking for any one particular sound or a 'Marshall-in-a-box', just looking for a good distorted, but not heavy metal sound.

Anybody vintage Fender owners that are having success and want to share your secret weapon?

2. Don L

Don L Member

Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive in the "marshall mode" does that very well with those amps. I've used mine with my '68 Pro Rev and '66 DR like that with les pauls with great results.

3. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

4. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I have 2 suggestions.

1. I use a Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker pedal which works really well for those kind of rhythms. I run this into an original '65 Twin Reverb. I got mine off EBay for $65. You really do not need to spend boutique level cash to get this sound. You'll get a little more classic rock thump if you run this into the Pro instead of the Deluxe (2x12's help a lot here).

2. As for the single coils, put a Duncan Little '59 in the bridge of your Strat, and a Harmonic Design Super-90 in the bridge of your Tele. Traditional Fender single coil bridge pickups are going to fight you 100% if you want to do "Judas Priest, Sabbath and Rush as well as classic rock crunch" with those guitars.

I find with the above combinations, I can do ZZ Top, AC/DC, 80's rock, and about anything else short of hair metal that I can come up with.

...Stormin!

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I don't have a vintage Fender but the new Barber Direct Drive did a very respectable job run into my Traynor YCV40 (Fender-like, 6L6) amp. For twice a month urges I think this would do fine.

6. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Thanks, guys. Just to be clear, I would not be trying to get the heavily distorted tones out of my single coils. I pull out the LP's with humbuckers and mini-humbuckers for this stuff.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

My Fender likes the analog man modded SD9, a lot!

8. jero

jero Member

If you want to stay away from tubescreamers: the BJF baby blue od works great on clean black- and silverface Fenders.

9. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I definitely am looking for something with more distortion than a tubescreamer or overdrive. My amp are Fender clean and have to be turned up pretty loud for good breakup and they will never get true distortion w/o a lot of help.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll research every one of them.

10. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I second the Tube Zone suggestion. Lots of gain on tap, but not "mush".

A BJF DynaRed will get you there, as well.

- Jim

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and still get great tone, I'd buy a modified Boss BD-2 or OD-3... this guy's mods sound great: http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

Scroll down and check out the MP3s. These are DIY deals, but he also has some guy who will do the work for you for $35. Pick the pedal up used, you're still happenin' for about $100.

12. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

+2 on the Barber DD. Does a good job of OD to mild Distortion on BF Fenders.

13. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Line6 Crunchtone
    Zinky True Grit
    Boss OD-3
    Boss MD-2

14. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I've got a '67 PR. If you want heavy sounds out of that amp, go all-in: either the SIB Varidrive or the old Hot Chili Tubester, both of which are a cut above in terms of gain range and have more flexible eq's than most ss drive boxes.

That said, I like the Maxon SD9, too (though I use it mainly as a booster).