Distortron, Plexi-Drive or Plexitone???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PedalOnPedalOff, Feb 10, 2012.

1. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

So i am looking for my "Marshall" pedal. I run a 65 DRRI. I think i have narrowed it down to these 3. who is the best candidate here, Zvex, Wampler or Carl Martin for going into a fender with Humbuckers??? I

thanks!

2. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

You might not believe this, but I tried all 3 of those options and even own a CM Plexitone however.... The best I've found with my '64 Fender Blackface Deluxe amp, '83 Fender Champ II (or even with my '68 Marshall Super Bass 100) has been the cheap Boss ST-2 "Power Stack" pedal. The trick is to keep the highs on it way down, and don't go too high on the gain or it will get noisy. I find it cleans up better than the others when you back your guitar volume knob down (like a real Marshall) and actually feels more like the real deal. To me the Plexitone sounds great but it even had more high end that I couldn't dail out, however neither it nor Wamplers retained clarity that well when you backed down the guitar for cleans. They all sound pretty decent when you keep your guitar on 10, but just don't react much like a real amp when you turn your guitar knobs. To me that is a big part of the Marshall tone and response, being able to control it from the guitar and how you attack the strings. I also found the Plexitone made the sound so thick (lots of deep bass and extended treble) that it was hard to EQ the amp so that you could get a balance between having the pedal ON vs OFF. The Zvex sounds nice and actually cleans up quite well, but it's very loose in the lows (like a JTM45 with the bass dimed which is the opposite of how most run them) so it's limited and not very usable for chunky rhythm stuff but it's nice and thick for leads. That said Boss drive pedals don't get the respect of the others because they are not "boutique" but you might check it out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I just started using a Plexitone last week with my Super-Sonic 22. The clean channel of that amp closely resembles a DRRI. For me, the Plexitone worked great because of the boost/fat option on the SS22, which really fills in the mids and warms up the clean channel and is footswitchable.

Without that feature on the DRRI, I don't think you could dial in a warm enough tone on the PT pedal, and be able to switch back to a sparkly enough clean tone on the DRRI. There would just be too much high end with fizz. The stock PT pedal doesn't give a lot of room for EQ freedom.

The feel of the Plexitone is fairly realistic though, and it produces this very convincing low end bang and slicing upper mids that I've never heard in another Marshall-like pedal. I'm most likely going to pick up another one and do the Vertex mod on it for my fly-date board. I've not used the other pedals you are considering.

4. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

i forgot to mention that i had a bright switch put in on channel 2 of the DRRI. i would assume this would help with some of that high end fizz that seems to come up with the CM plexi. thanks for the info guys!

5. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

Your post has got me curious about the Boss Power Stack...I might have to try one out.

And I've had similar thoughts about the Distortron and its loose low end. Except that I don't think it sounds like a JTM45 with the bass dimed, but rather like JTM45 with a normal bass setting. To me it has a natural sounding slight garbledness to the low end that is very amp like. I go back and forth between my RAT and my Distortron as my favorite OD...sometimes I like the tight bass of the RAT and sometimes I like the sloppiness of the Distortron. The RAT sounds like preamp overdrive while the Distortron sounds like a non-master volume amp with the speakers breaking up some.

6. jms6668

jms6668 Member

+1. Demo'd the Power Stack through a BF Deluxe RI, and it performed waaaaay better than my PT. There is a bit of a Digital vibe to it; but nothing terrible. The PT needed to be stacked with an EQ running after it to be useable to my ears.

The Power Stack really did well and I am considering picking one up to use while I get my PT modded if I decide to pull the trigger.

To the OP, for a stock DRRI, the PT would not be my first choice choice unless you are willing to stack it with something else to help it mate with that amps voicing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. jmoose

jmoose Member

I have the Distortron and Plexitone on different boards... haven't tried any of the Wampler boxes and I'd like to but am pretty content with what I've got. That said the Vzex & the CM are WORLDS apart and not even remotely similar despite general internet assumptions.

Plexitone is more high-gain tones... very precise with little to no sag. Think modified JCM800/2000 or something like a Bogner/5150 vibe. It likes a big, fat sounding amp and sounds amazing with my '61 blonde Bandmaster and UK AC30... tweeds etc. Into a blackface like a Twin or Deluxe its insanely bright, you'll end up rolling the treble almost completely off to make it sound "right"

The Distortron is more like a pushed non-master volume amp... very loose and fat with LOTS of sag. It can get really clean and loud, great booster box if you want volume but not a lotta gain. This one couples with the blackface amps really well and generally sounds like poo with the AC30, where it gets too fat and loose.

8. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Used a Plexitone with a DRRI for a little while, and I agree with other's assessments about EQ'ing it. It was clearly a great pedal, and it honestly blew me away when I first got it, but it was just too bright considering the amp and my guitars (SG and ASAT Special).

The Cmatmods Brownie is another option, and it seems to have a similar flavor of "brown sound", but will mate better as a stand-alone pedal through your DRRI. The Carl Martin does seem to have a little more clarity, but the Brownie is far from muddy or indistinct, and sounds great. It's worth checking out.

9. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I find the Distortron to work really well with humbuckers into clean Fender amps...that's how I use mine. Bass isn't an issue with the Distortron since it has the subs toggle switch. I also have a Box of Rock which I love too. Both have that cranked Marshall power tubes feel.