Disturbed the neighbors yesterday

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

We are in a rental home while we transition during a corporate relo. I was playing my Germino Club 40 at around 4.5 for a bit on Saturday afternoon. When I stopped playing one song I heard someone rapping on the back patio door. I was shocked to see a policeman! He was really nice, but told me someone called to complain. I am 44 and have never had this happen. I was a little embarrassed. :). I have an Alex Attenuator, but it is still at my house in Chicago. Time to go grab it!

I was surprised about the complaint. didn't seem that loud to me!

2. rotini

rotini Member

It happens. The past 2 apartments I've lived in, I've actually received compliments. The only complaint I've ever received was from leaving my alarm clock on when I went on vacation - in the note was "..and to be frank, we enjoy listening to you play".

But most of the time I get carried away and don't realize how loudly I'm playing until I stop... I always feel embarrassed!

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Saturday afternoon? I have to wonder if you were breaking any laws or ordinances. By home, do mean a house, or an apartment?

Nothing wrong with being polite and trying to get along with your neighbors of course. But if your neighbor's first action is to call the cops, they aren't all that interested in being polite and getting along with you.

4. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Just because someone complains doesn't mean you're doing anything actionable by the law. I would just reduce volume a bit to show good faith and keep playing until I got a court order to stop. Don't let people impose their will unless they're righteous.

RRC

5. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Wow, in San Diego I don't think the police will even respond to a noise complaint until after 10pm.

6. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

This seems right; it's easier for some to call the cops rather than to actually engage with people face-to-face.

7. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

when i was 19 (12yrs ago), i had a blackface Bassman head with a 4x12 fender cab w/ V30s

i let it rip in my parents garage with the door open - pretty much on 10

...a few guys from down the road started walking over and i thought they wanted to talk &/or compliment me
    but they just wanted me to turn the thing off
    "it's too loud" blah blah blah

if i owned a home, i would spend the money to sound-proof 1 room the best i could.
    ...because if i owned a house, it would be a very loud house

it can be very difficult to rock out for a lot of people in their apartment/house/etc, because of neighbors

i do it anyway. Nobody has knocked on my door yet so i have to just keep on playing.
    not too loud though. maybe twice as loud as the TV, maybe more.

8. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Funny story here, when I was about 16 living at my parents (long time ago). I was jamming out on my Park solid state 10 watt practice amp. A cop came to our door, said he was driving by and heard the noise and wanted to talk to my parents. My parents were asleep and when I told him that, he looked kinda embarrassed he was even bothering me about the noise when my parents were easily sleeping through it. True story!

9. Structo

Structo Member

Some people are busy bodies and look for any excuse to complain.

If it is in the middle of the day then that was pretty low to call the cops.

On the other hand, I have called the cops on neighbors when their fricking sub woofers are bouncing us out of bed at 2:00am...........

10. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Yes they will. In San Diego you can get a noise citation any time of the day or night.

To the OP, welcome to the club. The best option with police is to always be polite, and they will most often do the same back, when it comes to noise complaints. They are usually not thrilled about having to make the contact, but its their job so they do it.

11. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

i had my first complaint in my new rental apartment yesterday .
    the old lady from downstairs was knocking on the door within seconds !!!
    i think got it dialled in now , i knocked her door to ask but she didnt answer .

got an ac30 no louder than the tv .
    which she also complained about .
    she mistook me playing cypress hill the night before for me playing my guitar .
    i think she gets a little confused ...

12. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I guess I've got it good in my neighborhood as far as guitar playing. Every time I crank the amps, the neighbors all want me to open the windows so they can hear better.

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

EVERY person that wants to consider themselves a real guitar player MUST have the cops called over a noise complaint at least once! :D

OP, welcome to the club!

It's only happened to me once in decades of playing and it was by a person 4 houses away. I was playing a /13 CJ11. Yes, an 11 watt amp.

That day I check the noise ordinances in my city and discovered that it's not legal to produce sounds in your home that can be heard 50 feet away. The time of the day or night does not matter. I suspect that most cities have similar noise ordinances. You may be surprised.

Either way, I don't want neighbors to have to put up with my hobbies so I tend to keep it down. :)

14. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

hey adam .
    you have a message on your shop phone about the tubes for that marshall head ....

the best thing to say to the cop is " hey you look just like that guy in the photos at my girlfriends place"

15. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

my old neighbours in england used to love the saturday afternoon rehearsals in my living room .
    so they said ....

16. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Hey, if the neighbors dig it, all the better! That's great to have. :)

17. cbellanga

cbellanga Member

i live in london, 2nd floor in one of those old/always the same buildings. the sound proofing is so bad that I can track where the girl upstairs is on her flat :/
    when I moved, she used to kick the floor to make me stop playing .. and that's probably I was a bit louder than a tv + during the day
    after many troubles, I gave up and now I mostly play with headphones into my computer

although, after 4 years in the same flat, I'll be moving to a top floor next week :D

18. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

my new apartment solution

[​IMG]

not my xits but sounds good at low (low) volume and through headphones :phones

19. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

A good one and a bad one...

Bad one first. (there have been a few - we played TONS of house parties in the late 70's)
    1978, backyard party, parents left my friends house for the day to give us the house for the party.
    I guess a neighbor complains and the cops show up and tell us to turn it down. We do. About 30 minutes later 6 to 10 cops with riot helmets and billy clubs show up and say, "we came by and could still hear you out front, this parties over". Now we had all ingested a substance called "orange sunshine", those who know understand. So logically I start to try and dialog with the main cop, next thing I'm being tossed in the back of a cop car on a hot summer day. They had brought K9's and all. My friends whose house it was was talking to a cop outside the car I'm in and his little border collie is barking at the K9 in the back of the cop car next to mine, the cop kicks the border to shut him up, I see my friend Bill make a fist and I'm yelling in a hot closed cop car, 'DON'T DO IT!!!'. The cop sees the change in my friend and next thing I know he's tossed on top of me. They take us to holding cells at the PD and we stew tripping out for about 4 hours. When his Dad shows up he goes berserk on the cops, I guess he was a big wig at Lawrence Livermore Lab. Small cow town in the rural east SF Bay. No second complaint, just the cops judgment call.

A much better one...
    A few years ago before I moved to Idaho we'd rehearse at my buddies house on Sat. afternoons, after a few weekends we get a knock on the garage door, "can you guys open the door so we can listen?" We had to explain we were rehearsing so they might get repetitious, they didn't seem to care. Usually by the late afternoon we'd have people in the driveway, across the street drinking beer hanging out - way cool neighborhood. We were loud to, I was using either an old JMP 100, or a Mesa Nomad 100 - through a 1960A. Or a pair of 66 Supers. A latino/white very middle class neighborhood - very bay area hip group.
    Again, we were loud and not once did a cop even drive by.

20. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

In Northern California, there's a big difference in Noise Ordinances in the Incorporated vs. Unincorporated areas. Within established cities, each city has specific guidelines, regarding decibel levels and times. The cities are way more lenient too, but it makes sense, because of the nature of a cities environment.

In the Unincorporated Areas......any Sound or Noise that "disturbs" someone's peace and quiet, regardless of the time of day can get you cited. The only way around the ordinance is getting a specific "Use Permit", but it's got to make sense before the County will approve it ie: one day concert, wedding, fund raiser. And if the neighborhood resists at the Permit and Resource Hearing....well....it's politics.

As for the comments about neighbors complaining to the Cops first, that's a two way street IMO. I go out of my way to introduce myself to new neighbors first, and let them know I play guitar in my garage....and if I ever get too loud, to simply knock on the garage door. The house next door to me is a rental, and was just rented out again a few months ago. After introducing myself, I found out the husband is a Cop. Now....I crank my Bogner, but since he knew ahead of time....there's been no issues. Knowing what your "rights" are, versus being a "good" neighbor, are two very differents things IMO.