Ditch my Epiphone ES335 for Ibanez AS93?

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for an inexpensive alternative to a ES335.

I had an Eastman T486 it was a vastly better build quality but actually thought the Epi had more character. That being said after 2-3 weeks I feel like I am constantly having to tweak the Epi to keep it playing nice. Something about the pickups is hit or miss too. I feel like some nights the guitar is a complete dud and others it gets close to hitting a home run.

So I started looking around and there something appealing about the Ibanez.

Basically be an equal trade so what say you all is one better than the other?

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a big Ibanez jazz guitar fan, my AS73 is my number one guitar right now. I have never directly compared them side by side, but being familiar with the Epi's I'd say that I prefer the Ibanez body size/style and neck shape compared to the Epi's I've played. This is of course, completely subjective.

The AS93's pickups are pretty good, and my AS73 is the most stable guitar I've ever owned. The neck rarely ever needs adjustment and the tuning is rock solid even with the budget tuners. But I will say this, I've played duds and ones that have impressed me...even at this price point, it's about finding a "good one", they are not all the same. I think that applies to any brand...

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a big Ibanez jazz guitar fan, my AS73 is my number one guitar right now. I have never directly compared them side by side, but being familiar with the Epi's I'd say that I prefer the Ibanez body size/style and neck shape compared to the Epi's I've played. This is of course, completely subjective.

The AS93's pickups are pretty good, and my AS73 is the most stable guitar I've ever owned. The neck rarely ever needs adjustment and the tuning is rock solid even with the budget tuners. But I will say this, I've played duds and ones that have impressed me...even at this price point, it's about finding a "good one", they are not all the same. I think that applies to any brand...
How are the pickups in the AS73?

I am not big into the AS93 Flame tops but I rather get a guitar with good pups instead having to swap things and all that junk.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member

I am not big into the AS93 Flame tops but I rather get a guitar with good pups instead having to swap things and all that junk.
Honestly I couldn't tell you, as I planned to mod this guitar from the get-go. So the pickups and all electronics stuff was gutted and replaced immediately..

I do not like flame tops either, which is why I went for the 73 instead. But I like trying and experimenting with different pickups, so that aspect isn't a hassle to me. Plus the electronics are a major cost cutting aspect of all these imports; flimsy switches and jacks, cheap mini-pots, passable at best pickups, etc.. If the wood, neck and acoustic tone all sound and feel good to me, then it's worth upgrading the internals to my personal specs and taste IMO.

I own 2 AS-73s and both still have the stock pickups, although I have removed the pickup covers from them, but I do that to all humbuckers.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
The AS93 Ibby is very nice and I really enjoy mine. The Epi 335s are nice too but they are different animals. They both need a good setup out of the box.

rizla

I have had the AS73,93 and currently have an AS103.

I think the AS73 was a really fun guitar. The bridge pickup was a hot ceramic p/up and part of the reason I found it fun. But that could be the reason other people dislike it.
The AS93 was also a good guitar but when I got the 103 I stopped playing the 93 and sold it later on. The 103 just felt better, played and sounded better. There probably wasnt much in it tbh.
As far as Epi Dots go, I have had two over the years. Neither had much that inspired me to keep them. Ive never liked epiphones of any sort, so there is a strong bias at work for me.

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
I have had the AS73,93 and currently have an AS103.

I think the AS73 was a really fun guitar. The bridge pickup was a hot ceramic p/up and part of the reason I found it fun. But that could be the reason other people dislike it.
The AS93 was also a good guitar but when I got the 103 I stopped playing the 93 and sold it later on. The 103 just felt better, played and sounded better. There probably wasnt much in it tbh.
As far as Epi Dots go, I have had two over the years. Neither had much that inspired me to keep them. Ive never liked epiphones of any sort, so there is a strong bias at work for me.

Was construction between the AS73 and AS93 similar in quality? Less bling is always the direction I try to head in but playability has to come first.

ranchofm

I got an AS73 with the intention of modding, but did play the guitar stock for a while. Did not like the pickups. They had that heavily nondescript pile of mids that I associate with cheap ceramic pickups. I was going to install Seth Lovers but I tried StewMac Parsons Street humbuckers and they sound great. $350 all in, with hardshell case! Other than the electronics, it's a solid guitar and I prefer it over my bandmate's standard Epi Dot. Much prefer it aesthetically, as well.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Was construction between the AS73 and AS93 similar in quality? Less bling is always the direction I try to head in but playability has to come first.
Other than the 93's three piece neck (with one piece headstock, kind of weird) the 73 and 93's construction is exactly the same.

Steadfastly

I would take the Ibanez without even having to think about it.

1653593013198.png

Yamaha 350

Looking for an inexpensive alternative to a ES335.

I had an Eastman T486 it was a vastly better build quality but actually thought the Epi had more character. That being said after 2-3 weeks I feel like I am constantly having to tweak the Epi to keep it playing nice. Something about the pickups is hit or miss too. I feel like some nights the guitar is a complete dud and others it gets close to hitting a home run.

So I started looking around and there something appealing about the Ibanez.

Basically be an equal trade so what say you all is one better than the other?
1653665238457.png

You will thank me later. :aok

bc55lp

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve got an AM73 (smaller size version of the AS73), and the build quality is outstanding. I liked the stock pickups okay but wanted something different and installed Duncan Phat Cats and new electronics. now a great guitar! One advantage with the Ibanez is that the f-holes are large enough to squeeze full-size pots through them.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I played an AS73 a whole bunch of times at my local mom and pop store. I owned an Epiphone 335. I liked the Epiphone better. You probably couldn't go wrong with either.

The Epiphone did take quite a bit of work to get it set up, but ultimately I like the pickups on the Epi a great deal better.

Jim85IROC

To anyone who has owned both - how do the neck profiles compare?
Honestly, they felt exactly the same to me, or at least close enough that I never noticed a difference. Both are that same medium-thin profile that every budget guitar has. It's that type of profile that tries to appeal to as many people as possible.

I just compared my AS93 to a 2020 Epi 335 that I repaired a neck crack on, then subsequently sold. To be honest, I could have happily kept either. Once set up, they both felt and played almost identical. I thought both sounded similar also, but the Ibanez pickups were a little more to my preference, especially the neck, which is pretty low output (7k), which makes it nice and bright.

In terms of overall quality, I think both were very good.

51960195902_cf8b873ded_z.jpg

50120712957_8bf8f066f3_z.jpg

Top Bottom