Diver Down is a pretty good album.

jjaaam

Agree. It gets a lot of hate for the amount of cover tunes on it, but IMO it’s really a great album. Hang ‘Em High in particular has really grown on me over the years - the solo is just killer!

And I’ll never forget when I was a teenager just starting out playing and realizing that Cathedral was a flippin’ GUITAR instead of an organ...

NB_Terry

OP here..

VH went from WACF (garage rock, amazing and not much production), to FW (dark, still not much production, and EVH close to his peak, but not commercial at all), to DD, the videos and DLR trying to get things cheesy (but great originals and cover material - VH knew how to do a great cover tune), to 1984 . Very well produced, played, composed, everything..

Just my 2 cents.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Nah… it’s a pretty lame album with a few really killer tunes on it (ex: Hang ‘Em High, Full Bug, Little Guitars)

Cathedral
Intro to Little Guitars
Little Guitars
Hang em’ High
Intruder
Big Bad Bill

It’s a phenomenal album.

The only VH album mixed at Amigo. Van Halen II was mixed at Westlake but VH I, Women & Children First and Fair Warning were mixed at Sunset Sound.

Most people claim that Fair Warning is their favorite VH album but it’s actually a crap album with only 4 decent songs vs the 6 decent songs on Diver Down.

sws1

From Rolling Stone (at the time):

Strip away the four cover versions, the three brief instrumentals and the minute-long goof on “Happy Trails” and Van Halen’s fifth album, Diver Down, suddenly seems like a cogent case for consumer fraud. Van Halen, it appears, is running out of ideas: there’s more excelsior (i.e., softwood shavings used for packing fragile goods or stuffing furniture) here than in a shipment of glassware.

From Rolling Stone (at the time):

Strip away the four cover versions, the three brief instrumentals and the minute-long goof on “Happy Trails” and Van Halen’s fifth album, Diver Down, suddenly seems like a cogent case for consumer fraud. Van Halen, it appears, is running out of ideas: there’s more excelsior (i.e., softwood shavings used for packing fragile goods or stuffing furniture) here than in a shipment of glassware.

Nothing guarantees a good album like a bad Rolling Stone review.

Coach T.

Silver Supporting Member
Most people claim that Fair Warning is their favorite VH album but it’s actually a crap album with only 4 decent songs vs the 6 decent songs on Diver Down.

While I dig and agree with the rest of the post, this is the most untrue statement I’ve read on the internet since I stumbled across some dudes claiming that the earth is indeed flat.;)

Barquentine

I've never heard this album but I just had a listen to 'Where Have All The Good Times Gone' because I love the original. I thought it was dreadful with a particularly heinous vocal performance from DLR.

somecafone

I liked it then, and still do.

At the time, wholly ignorant of record company politics, I had no choice but to think every song was “deliberate.”
And for my money (literally), Dancing and Big Bad Bill were the things that set VH apart from their contemporaries.
Can anyone imagine Journey or Priest doing either one of those tunes?

We like to think that bands, and especially successful bands, had the world in their hands.
VH, even at that point with platinum sales behind them, was beholden to WB and their wims.

As to the songs, yeah, Hang ‘Em High and Little Guitars are the standouts.

Ted Templeman offered a funny aside about this record in his book.

raylinds

Silver Supporting Member
A truly great album IMHO. Some killer originals. Happy Trails is a cheesy novelty tune, but Pretty Woman, You Really Got Me are great covers that EVH really made his own with some killer riffs. Dancing, is fun.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom