Diverging Diamond Interchanges...Do they actually work?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Staticbuster, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

These seem to be the new rage in road updates around the south.

They put one up on a bridge in the town I grew up in, and it was pure traffic hell. The problem was simply an overload of commuters in the area, leading to congestion during peak driving hours, because the roads weren't built to accomodate the volume of traffic that had been introduced over the last 20 years. The DDI was supposed to help keep traffic moving through the interstate exchange but it flat out did not. Traffic still backs up for miles during rush hour.

Now they are installing one this weekend that is on my daily drive to work. I am not looking forward to monday morning's commute. Anybody ever seen one of these things actually work?

For the un-initiated: http://www.divergingdiamond.com/

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

They put one in near where I work and it seemed to ease the congestion. Confusing to drive thru, tho.

I prefer over the "death circles" that are springing up everywhere.

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Lokos like you need a graduate degree to navigate it, and I live in NJ: land of rotaries and jug-handles.

4. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

That's a good idea. People taking left turns only have to wait for one light.

5. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Hey I'm in ATL and have been on a couple of them a few times. Pleasant Hill and 85 and another one somewhere I can't remember. North side of town I think. I think they work pretty well. The lane markings are very explicit and make them nonconfusing to drive on. Seem to help traffic significantly.

Oh yeah the other is Ashford Dunwoody and 285 by perimeter mall.

6. option1

option1 Member

Looks like a poorly designed attempt to do what a roundabout does so easily. Then again, generally, Americans have a very hard time understanding how roundabouts work. Amazing how something so simple can't be simple enough for them - hence the moronic "death circles" comment above.

Neil

7. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

That's crazy looking to me. All this so you don't have to make a left across traffic entering an Interstate?

8. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I have no problem with roundabouts at all up here. It took a little getting used to in the UK going around the "wrong" way.

But

When I lived in Indiana, they put one in and it was a disaster. I also knew some people who actually changed their driving route just to avoid it. :nuts

Roundabouts are really the most intelligent way of doing it. Enter, exit when you need to, the only rule is the car in the circle has the right of way. How confusing can that be? And there's no sitting waiting at a light or stopping at a stop sign when there's no traffic.

Agree on the moronic.

10. i8guitar

i8guitar yelling at clouds from outer space Silver Supporting Member

This was the first diverging diamond interchange in the US, located in Springfield, MO at Kansas Expressway and I-44. I lived less than a mile from it when it was built and I can tell you firsthand that it solved a lot of traffic issues for people on those roads. What it did not help was the people who were trying to access the DD from Norton Road, which services the zoo and fairgrounds (ie lots of traffic). At any rate, it did help and was not really that disruptive while being built. The beauty of the design is that you can route all traffic over just one side of the bridge while building the the other side.

And if the natives of the Ozarks can handle driving on the DD, I'm pretty sure the natives of the Garden State can as well :rotflmao