Diversify this rig

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zombieStrat, Apr 6, 2015.

1. zombieStrat

zombieStrat Member

I like to get the most out of my rig in terms of variety. I play in a mostly originals band, but I sit in with a few cover bands. I want this rig to be able to cover as many tones from the rock, funk, blues and metal genres (roughly in that priority) as possible. Unfortunately I'm on a modest budget.

This is how the rig stands now:

Fender Am Deluxe HSS Strat // Jackson RR1

-> Korg Pitchblack -> Dunlop Wah -> Boss CS3 -> TS808
    -> Fulltone GT500 -> WH Swollen Pickle -> Wampler Euphoria -> Bogner Ecstacy Red
    -> MXR 10 Band EQ -> Boss PS6 -> Small Clone ->Boss PH3 -> Boss DD3

into a George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe.

I can imagine putting $2000 into it over the next year or so. If you wanted to diversify it how would you? To you, what is lacking in this rig and how would you fill in those holes? I play a wide enough bunch of styles that I'm interested in hearing what others would do.

2. brunsje

brunsje Member

Perhaps a nice Telecaster or an Amp.

JohnnyB

3. zombieStrat

zombieStrat Member

I played an awesome 2014 Am Std Tele today, I think you may be on to something. The GB HRD has awesome cleans, any amps you think would compliment it?

4. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Wow. I had never heard of that amp before.

In terms of diversification, I'd agree that a tele would be a good start.

I also see 5 dirt boxes? Yow. That's diversified. One area you seem to be potentially lacking is in modulation. One of the Strymon boxes or an Eventide H9 would give you a lot of swirl options to go with the various gain stages.

5. zombieStrat

zombieStrat Member

I hadn't either when I got it. All it ends up being is a stock HRD with a 12AT7 in the v1, a much higher efficiency speaker, and a pine enclosure. It was used and a steal. I went into the shop looking at Twins and I honestly couldn't justify the price difference to my ears. YMMV, but to me the cleans are just incredible at any price.

I will look into the Strymon and Eventide units. I just wish I could find a store to demo them.

6. jrjones

jrjones Member

H9, maybe a mark V?

7. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Maybe add a used es 335.

8. axe4me

axe4me Member

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

My thought, also. I would be tempted to open a vein if I couldn't play without my Eventide Modfactor.

10. eschoendorff

eschoendorff Member

I don't know how you can cover rock/metal tones without a Marshall in that setup. Get yourself and older DSL and a 1936 cab and call it good.

Dirt pedals are one thing, but the response from a good Marshall head/cab is something else.