Divided /13 ERT 33, How do I brighten it up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hdiddy, Dec 30, 2005.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I just got the amp, and I was wondering how I can make it brighter. I am playing it through a Germino with Blues and G12H30 open back. With humbucker equipped guitars (Johnny A/ Firebird with WCR Cross Roads) it is very "middy" and the treble is almost full up. I was wondering if I changed some of the preamp tubes or Power tubes if that would help? What does V1, V2, V3, V4 control? I would like more chime. Would the conversion to the RSA31 help; I have a DC30 and would like to make a little closer than that.

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

They're not real bright, sparkly amps, like say Matchless C30 or something of that ilk. The newer RSA31 has a lot more upper-midrange stuff goin on, more like a good AC30. It could be that some different tubes might make a little difference...but I think getting it modded to RSA31 specs would really do the trick. Just MHO, FWIW.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I take your opinion highly:AOK

4. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

were's you bass controll at? I run mine at 8:00, treb at 3:30 -4:00 with a strat with old g1230H speakers.. pretty bright on the bridge P/U... Not DC30 bright though

5. Leonc

I know what you mean Chuck...I don't think I'd actually say that the amp isn't capable of sounding trebley. It's really the upper-mids where there's something of a scoop in the EQ, IMHO. Same for the '37 (at least mine).

hdiddy - thanks but my opinion and 10 cents will get you 1/30th of a cup of coffee at Starbucks :).

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Will the RSA31 change add that Vox chime

7. Leonc

IMO, it'll get a lot closer to that sound, yes. It's not the same; it still has better low-end than most AC30s (from what I recall) but with the midrange control (you give up the reverb to get this, IIRC), you can really boost the upper mids to bring out more sparkle.

8. 57special

57special Member

True, but he won't be sending the amp to Starbucks for modding.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

What preamp tubes are you using

10. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have a 33 and love it but I will say that I did play the 31 and am going to have mine converted. They are both great amps but the 31 had someting that was extra special going on in the mids. Sounded like my best old AC30 that I had with more bottom.

11. blueclay

blueclay Member

try putting a hot EV or SRO in an open back box
    I have one I could sell if your interested
    It will make a diff.........
    what kind of power and speaks do you have now??
    Steve

12. Neon

Neon Member

How old are the power tubes? The last time I changed the EL84s in my ERT33, the amp chimed a lot more and was more lively.

My ERT33 seems to run the power tubes rather hot (i.e. high idle current), and the less reliable EL84 brands tend to wear out quickly. I'm not sure if this is normal for the 33. Based on my recent experience, I'd recommend EL84s which are rated toward the so-called "Vox" specs (i.e. lower idle current).

New power tubes may not get you closer to the sound you're after, but it might be worth a try.