Divided By 13 9/15: EL84 or 6V6 side and what pedals are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by randy morser, Jun 23, 2006.

1. randy morser

randy morser Member

This amp has been great. I find myself using the 6V6 side a lot. What pedals are you using? I've liked the Dynaranger with it the best. I didn't really dig the Joyride a whole lot. What have you tried and with what tube and control settings... and with what cab/speakers? Haha. Horrible run-on, that. I'm really loving this amp.

:BEER
    Cheers,
    Randy

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I find that I also prefer the 6V6 side over the EL84 side, expecially with a pair of late 50's RCA 6V6 tubes. I'm not much of a pedal guy, but I have had good results with a Fulldrive in front to push the amp a bit for solos.

Right now I'm playing it through a /13 2x12d loaded with two Celestion G12M Herritage reissue Greenbacks. I'm really pleased with that combination. I also tried the amp with a 1x12 with a Celestion Blue (the low end of the amp seemed to really overpower the Blue and I did not like that at all), a 2x12 with 2 Blues (better than one, but still not what I was looking for), and a 1x12 with a G12H30 (a really great sounding speaker in combination with the 9/15).

3. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Hi Randy,
    The JRT is one of my favorite amps.I like both sides.I also run a Dynaranger before it.Helps a lot with the bass through the Blue.I've also tried the Landgraff through it and I liked the upper position(the Marshally one)a lot.
    I have Fred's 2x12 with original Celestions I took out of vintage amps, a G12H and a Blue.Use them both or either one depending on the vibe.I plan to get Fred's diagonal cab soon and I'm gonna load that with Greenies(like Eric).
    What a fun amp!
    Ted

4. randy morser

randy morser Member

I ordered a weber silver bell but beefed up to 50 watts. how do you think that'll compare to the G12h30? I have a D/13 2x12 with a G12H30 and a Blue, but I haven't had time to try it yet. I play the amp with a Lentz tele and the Dynaranger on the 6v6 side and it KILLS. The amp is getting retubed right now. The guys at the shop said the last batch of JJs they had were bad so they're using Sovtechs until the next batch comes. Do you guys ever use an attenuator?

5. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I'm not a big fan of attenuators...If you can stretch up to some NOS tubes,these make a big difference in the JRT.Check with some of our own forumite dealers here for recommendations.The SilverBell seems like a good choice and it'll blend well with the Blue.Chime for days in the EL84 side!

Ted

6. ethomas1013

What does the Dynaranger do? It's described as a treble booster on the /13 website and the last thing the JRT needs is more high end. How does it help out with the bass through the Blue?

7. randy morser

randy morser Member

It's a rangemaster type pedal with some really interesting setting in the rotary switch that goes from dark to bright. Great pedal. It adds some treble , but it's not the ear-piercing treble, it's the cut through the mix ripping solo treble. I passed out bibs to a few guitarists at an outdoor gig I did with it recently with that set-up.

8. Slygo

Slygo Member

I am running my 9/15 through a 2x12 cab loaded with Blue + Scumback H12-55Hz. Great combination, as each brings something different to the party.

For tubes, I like the RCA VT-107A (6V6) and Mullard EL84.

For pedals, ProAnalog Dual Drive for the EL84 side works nicely. The 6V6 side, I use either the TIM (mild distortion and helps with the EQ) or the ZEN (heavier distortion).

9. ethomas1013

Are you running vintage Mullards, or the new reissues? I need to start experimenting with better EL84's in mine.

10. Slygo

Slygo Member

Yes, old stock Mullards. Amperex is an excellent choice as well.

11. randy morser

randy morser Member

What about mullards in the pre-amp section? The store down here has some NOS Mullard 12AT7s or should I stick strictly with the 12ax7s? He's got JJ and Sovtek down there too. for NOS 6v6s he's got some company that starts with an P and ends in lab or something... Pentalab or something. Are those any good?

12. Slygo

Slygo Member

Keep in mind that the preamps are two 5879 (V1 & V2) and a 12AX7 phase inverter in a JRT 9/15 - no 12AT7 in the stock configuration.

Almost all of the 5879s are essentially RCA. I am running the JAN version.

For the PI, I am using an Amperex 12AX7A/ECC83 (Orange Globe). Been very pleased with this line up.

Don't forget you also have a rectifier tube - mine is a Mullard GZ34/5AR4.

Not sure what those 6V6s could be that you are referring. I am not familiar with them...

13. randy morser

randy morser Member

14. Slygo

Slygo Member

15. randy morser

randy morser Member