Divided by 13 BTR 23 (cab choice)

bigdannyd

Thinking of picking up a BTR 23 head. Those that have owned/played one, would you recommend a 1x12 or 2x12 cab? Why?

jacksonburn

I used the RSA23 (same as the BTR23 except no master, no gain boost, and with click channel) with a 65 Amps 2x12 w/ G12H30 and Alnico Blue and thought it sounded pretty stellar. I would probably be happy with a G12H30 only or the G12H creamback.

lukeII

Check out papastache102 demos on youtube; he plays a BTR23. He plays it with 2 cabs. One is an open back 1x12 with a G12H30 the other is divided closed back "rock block" cab with a Celestion Creamback. See which one you like.

My perception is that the open back throws a bit more vox in the mix (more air, clearer highs and a decent amount of reasonably tight bass) vs the closed back which is more Marshall with greenback (mid focus with smoother highs). YMMV

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I gig with a BTR23 and a Rock Block 1x12 loaded with an ASW Crossroads. Killer tone at a volume that doesn't kill the audience.

Here's mine at a gig with my Longhorn El Vaquero. I use the BTR for humbuckers and the EV for strats.

SimonBSinister

Gold Supporting Member
I have the BTR 23 Head and I am using it with a Marshall 2061CX 2-12 with one 65 Watt Creamback and 1 75 watt Creamback. The amp sounds great. I have also played it in my early 70's Marshall 4-12 Cab with original greenbacks and in a Marshall Vintage Modern 4-12 with the G12Cs in it... It basically sounds great with any of the above. I like the added bottom with the Creamback combo... The amp has a very Marshall like presence...

MontyW

I have a BTR23 and play it through a 112 Rock Block with a Creamback in it. Totally sublime combination!

K.E.P.

I have only had it a few weeks, but I have the 2 x 12 D cab with greenbacks and love it.

Only thing I might do would be mix a blue in with it or something similar since my old Gabriel Cab had a greenback and a blue and it sounded great with anything. The bad cat speakers are killer as well for options.

That being said, I have zero issues with the two greenbacks.

SimonBSinister

Gold Supporting Member
I was going to buy that cab as well, but I already had so many vintage greenbacks seems like a waste. I do like those rock block cabs but no on has them in stock anywhere I looked. ... I have a single 16 ohm Blue cab I am going to mix it in and see how it sounds with the other 2-12 ....

Nice color /13...

SBS

Last edited:

Gazza

I have a BTR paired with the Divided by 13 2x12 cab which runs both G12B and G12H speakers. I really like the sounds that I get from running both speakers in parallel, or either one on an individual basis. I've got my cab configured to the open back option, but I do have the closed panel if I so desire. I haven't tried that yet with the BTR, but probably won't. I have a Rock Block cab coming from Fred in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to see what kind of punch that might add. I'm finding the BTR really does everything well, so I can't imagine there is a wrong cab choice.

Gazza

I have only had it a few weeks, but I have the 2 x 12 D cab with greenbacks and love it.

Only thing I might do would be mix a blue in with it or something similar since my old Gabriel Cab had a greenback and a blue and it sounded great with anything. The bad cat speakers are killer as well for options.

That being said, I have zero issues with the two greenbacks.

The gear is cool, but I'm almost more impressed by the perfect cubby-hole.

K.E.P.

The gear is cool, but I'm almost more impressed by the perfect cubby-hole.
One room had to be my office/guitar room. I saw the nook and immediately had visions of filling it. I am super fortunate the two amps fit. Barely any room to spare but I feel I have everything covered ;)

Trending Topics