Divided by 13 EDT 13/29

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Vaachek, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

Anyone have any thoughts as to why so many of these amps have turned up in the classifieds lately??? I was planning on making one my next purchase, but I'm concerned by the number of guys looking to rid themselves of theirs.

2. KLB

KLB Member

Things like this run in cycles on TGP. You can't always deduce a trend from what's for sale in the emporium. There are many fine amps. Once you have two or three, you may realize you don't need six!

Plus, it's tax season, the economy is slow, and people have emergencies and other reasons for needing $$$.

While legally parked in an open, easy to see spot, my car was hit TWICE in the same afternoon, and almost the same spot, by two different sets of teenage drivers. Does that mean there is an epidemic of bad teenage driving?

I wish I had the cash to get an EDT 13/29 amp. That and the Louis Electric KR12 are on my short list.

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

The pricing seems a bit high too...they're USED and add the sluggish economy. That's partly why it seems there's a lot for sale...asking too much.

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I agree, when the prices become reasonable, I'll buy one.

5. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Flavor of the Month?

6. minjason

minjason Member

like the above posts state, i don't think you can judge an amp by how many you see up for sale on the emporium...there are countless reasons why people sell off their gear...trust me...if you buy the EDT, you will not be disappointed. i've played and heard almost all of the amps in Fred's line, and this one is by far my favorite.

7. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

more like Flavor of the Decade!:band

kiesinnervoice likes this.
  8. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I post in every EDT thread for a reason. After getting my EDT last September, and recently throwing a Scumback H75 in the 1x12 cab, I just have an extremely hard time finding an excuse to go out shopping for another amp. I actually put it up for sale earlier this year because of extreme financial struggle, but I thankfully recovered and pulled it from the emporium.

This amp flat out handles it all for me. I play roots rock, southern rock, blues, and country rock; I play a lot of Black Crowes style music, and anything from Kings Of Leon, Faces, Zeppelin, the Wallflowers, and Ryan Adams, to SRV, Albert Collins, and Clapton. With my tele, LP junior, and the EDT, I can cover all of this sonic ground. I'm eventually going to add an SG to the lineup, but that story is for another day...

FWIW, my first D13 was a JRT 9/15. It's a fantastic amp, and TGP guys who own or have owned one know what the deal is with them. However, there was a surge where I must have seen 7-8 of them FS in the emporium within a 2-3 month span. It didn't affect my decision to buy one when I saw people moving them for other gear. People have their own reasons for selling off gear, but don't base your decision on whether or not Jim, Frank, and Bob are selling their EDT. D13 amps are truly magical.

I can't recommend the amp enough. It's a minimalist-style amp with great versatility. The reverb, to my ears, is the best reverb in any of Fred's amps. The push-pull boost is awesome, and the dampening switch adds yet another great tonal variation. It takes all my pedals VERY well, and it's probably the most bad ass looking amp I've ever owned. I'm done gushing. Get to a D13 dealer and try one. Make sure you bring your checkbook.

9. SkydogFan81

I have a 4x12 of scumbacks (75s and 55s) that I can't wait to try when my EDT arrives. I though about getting the 2x12 empty and putting in my own speakers, but I decided to let Fred choose the speakers. FWIW I really dig your musical taste, which is very similar to mine! I've been a KOL fan since I got their first album after reading Rolling Stone's review of it! Really digging the Faces right now too!

10. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

Actually, teenagers are lousy drivers, for the most part, and the American Instute of Insurance will back me up on that, but you make a good point.
    Thanks to all for your input, saving my $$$ for a head/combo 13/29, just have to figure out colors and speakers!!

11. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I agree, this is one of the best amps I've ever played or owned period! From the first few minutes of playing the EDT, I knew I had to own one. I 'm into the Allman Brothers, Zep, Free, Crowes, many styles of blues, and blues rock. This amp can do it all! Plus is sounds great with humbuckers and single coils.
    The only reason I have my EDT up for sale is because I've been using small amps a lot lately, plus I’m in the process of making more than a few major purchases unrelated to music. I figured I would sell now, and most likely buy another EDT at the end of summer or in the fall. I’d buy another in a heart beat, they’re worth every penny in my opinion. I've tried a Scumback H75 in my EDT, and it sounds fantastic in the EDT.

Last month my best friend turned forty, and I helped his wife surprise him with a new EDT combo. He was blown away!

FYI: The last time I spoke with Fred he told me David Gilmour just pick up an EDT. That's how good they sound. :)

12. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Is the EDT combo too loud for home use and small venues?

I currently have a SJT 10/20 combo. So I was wondering how much loader the EDT is especially on the 13 watt setting??

13. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I ‘ve used my EDT at home and small clubs on the 13 watt mode. I guess it really depends on what you consider loud. Everyone has their own idea of what means.

14. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I gots to git me one...crazy - I know - but I haven't even played through one yet. I just need to consolidate gear and based on what I've heard/read this amp ought to do it for me. If not, hey - I'll play it for a while and sell. I love hearing the accolades so keep 'em coming!

My criteria: I'm interested in getting good volume for (neighbor-friendly & late-night) home practice as well as gigging small clubs; play strats, a tele Am. Nashville Deluxe and a Les Paul w/ Seth Lovers, have a decent pedal board that is continually growing, and like to play classic rock (as described above + Trower!) in addition to a variety of pop-type crowd pleaser stuff. This amp will probably be replacing a Victoria 45410 and a Soldano HR50+.

Anyway, I for one am thrilled that they're showing up a lot on TGP!

15. SkydogFan81

This 13w will def give you "good volume for neighbor-friendly & late night sess's)

just remember 5 was is LOUD; and 50w is 2x as loud as 5

16. John Barber

John Barber Supporting Member

I've been playing for many years, and have had everything from a real 59 bassman in 1962, to a Matchless Clubman 35 to a Germino Club 40, ( many many other, not worth mentioning) as well as a Vintage 59 Stratocaster See-thru Blonde, and many Jazz Archtops. I'm now 62yrs old, and I have Diveded by 13 EDT 13\29 Head and 1x12 and 59r Les Paul Melvyn Franks, and that's it!!!, I don't need any pedals, or other amps or Guitars, these two will take you to any level of playing, as far as your talent will let you.
    I've chased gear for years, and at times spent more time chasing than playing, which really sucks, I think its just the simple fact that we like new toys, when we should be playing and practicing, and learning something new anytime you pick up your guitar to play. Good Luck in your tonequest Johnny B

17. The Kid

The Kid Member

The EDT is a killer amp. I love mine!

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

A bunch of old threads coming back from the dead...

I miss my EDT, my YouTube demo I posted a while back always reminds me.

19. SkydogFan81

I miss mine sometime, but I do enjoy the RPB more.