Divided by 13 EDT clips inside.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SkydogFan81, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

My band (we've been together about 6 months) just finished recording a demo this weekend. After our first gig we were approached by an intern at a local recording studio, Gadgetbox. He offered to make us custom effects pedals, do our live sound, and record us when the studio owner was out of town. Well Saturday we showed up at 10am, but due to recording equipment problems we didn't get to lay down any tracks until about 7pm. We did everything live and were able to finish all 4 songs that we hoped to record that night. Then we went back Sunday to lay down vocals and some extra guitar and organ tracks (the singer played the Rhodes live).

It was my first time in a real studio and I was thrilled. They even let us use their Bandmaster modded by Dumble himself.

Lots of folks have been asking for overdriven EDT13/29 clips (including me until I got one) so I'll proceed to specify the gear used on each of the four tracks.

-Mods, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize, please move to the appropriate location.

All songs can be heard on our myspace: www.myspace.com/nightsweatmusic

All my rhythm parts except were noted are the EDT in 13w mode, mid boost engaged, bass and treble at noon, a little reverb (8:00 or so). The Celestion Blue was miked by a Sm57 into a UA 2-610 (same for the other amp as well). I'm in the right speaker. Left speaker is the other guitarist using his USA SG into a Victoria 20112 volumes bridged on 3 or 4 of the dial.

"Straight Shooter"
    Solos:
    1: USA Gibson SG->Tonebone British-> Victoria 20112
    2: /13 EDT in 13w, Vol ~1, mid pulled, Tim->Mojodrive on Neck pup (WB's 67-07 HVTP) of my R7
    3:Same as 1 all solos on the neck pup I think
    4: same as 2
    5: same as 1
    6: same as 2 (we did these all live)
    The harmonies in the last part were doubled Left speaker is a Ceriatone 1986x (with NOS Mullards) into a 4x12 of Scumback 75Hz and 55Hz in an X. On the Right Speaker is the Bandmaster modded by H.A. Dumble (it had 4 6L6's) into the 4x12

"I'm a Man"
    Solo1: EDT 13w, (same settings as previous) bass and treble at Noon. Tim is on always in all recordings. This Solo is boosted by a Klon
    Solo2: Same as solo 1 from above
    Tremelo guitar is my Asat Classic with Curtis Novak pups, glendale bridge and saddles in to my '67 Deluxe Reverb with a Tone Tubby AlNiCo.

"Katy Girl"
    Solo 1: 1986x Ceriatone into the 4x12 of Scumbacks. Volumes bridged both at 8 (on the dial, not 8 o'clock)
    Solo 2: is the SG->Custom Octave Fuzz by Alex Nitta into the Victoria. (www.nittapedals.com)

"Gabilan Ranch"
    Solo1: EDT in 29w mode, vol 12-1 o'clock, bass and treble at noon, mid boost engaged. Tim->Klon
    Solo2:USA Gibson SG->Tonebone British-> Victoria 20112

We're all happy with the recordings, but we know that there are things to improve on so please give advice and constructive criticism.

Thanks,
    Marcus

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. freaktone

freaktone Member

Love the color combo on the d13. Is that Plum???
    Great jams on the myspace by the way

3. SkydogFan81

Thanks for checking them out! Its plum with a green apple V. :AOK It looks alot cooler when its not in direct white light.

4. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I sincerely hope I'm not being too critical here. When someone asks for a critique I try to be thorough and honest just as I would expect them to be. Fluffy reviews don't help. I am a guy who gigs a few times a month and has done extensive recording, writing and spent time at the console in the recording studio. I'm not a pro, just a serious amature.

Katy Girl: Nice and groovey.Very Cool vibe. I think the tone in the guitar solos was a little too much of a contrast from the groove you guys were laying down. The sound was a little more buzz than tone, and I found it a bit distracting. The non-slide solo would benefit greatly from the playing sticking the major 3rd into the scale on occasion. The tune is a very bright, major key, happy kind of groove and the guitar solo with all those flat 3rd's sounded a little dark.

Gabilan Way: I really like this song. Start the tune at 00:26 with that decending piano riff. The previous :25 is longwinded and unnecessary. Very nice, expressive guitar solo. Work on getting the bends in key. They are such an important part of the solo and must be in pitch. Again, you have some wonderful, complex, articulate tones in the rhythm section and then the solo comes in all buzzy sounding. The solo tone just seems to stray from the vibe of the tune to the point where it's foreign even in the context of the mix.

Rolling Man Live: Nice take on an old blues style. You might try having the bass player stop popping with the drums and guitar. It's a little bit of overkill on the groove. If the bass player were to smooth out his line and play through the beat instead of right on top of the punches, the song will take on a really cool groove. Try it. The guitar solo tones are very similar to the previous tunes but it sounds good on this particular song. It's a bit more appropriate.

Automobile: Great tune to sing along with! I bet this one goes over great with some crowds! The guitar solo tone is just what the song calls for. Very nice. Here again, I think the song would benefit from the bass player getting a little more loose with it.

Straight Shooter: Nice Song! Full of attitude and the it suits the band very well. The change-up at 02:15 is a cool surprise. Hot and Nasty guitar tones that suit the tune very well.

I'm a Man: Nice traditional 50's / bluesy / pop rock tune. I think in light of the heavy guitar solos in the other songs, this one would have benefitted more from a great, short, keyboard solo. I love the way you guys changed up the groove at 03:28 and then hit the breaks. Very dynamic! Great tension and release! This is just my opinion but, the solo section after those breaks would be plenty sufficient if it ended at 03:56 and then pick up the tune at 04:54 on that cool break down you guys do there for the ending. I would cut the whole solo section from 04:10 to 04:54 because, combined with the earlier solo, it starts to overwhelm the song and make it more of a guitar anthem rather than the groovin' vocal number it truly is. I like the song a lot.

Hey there's my two cents. I really dig the band or I wouldn't have taken the time to listen and comment. I hope my critique is taken in the positive, supportive way it is intended. Rock on guys!

5. glman

glman Member

why do you need a pedal to get OD from such a great amp in the Studio - why not crank the amp ?

6. SkydogFan81

Shooter Bob, Thanks so much for your honest comments! I will relisten (many times) with your comments in mind and pass them on. Thanks again.

Marcus

ps. this was exactly the type of response I was wanting

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

8. SkydogFan81

they were cranked up pretty good-(check the notes) The pedals just seem to give them a "boost" in one way or another

9. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I think the pedals are what gave it the "fizz" too though. It's so hard to get the sound balanced so you can feel it and play it without it getting all buzzy.

I like to use the following technique for guitar tracks in the studio.

Using a long cable, I'll run it from the amp into the control room and stand there without headphones playing my parts along with the tracks right out of the studio monitors. I have even set up a small amp in the control room so I could get feedback when needed. Works great and makes it alot easier for me to dial in my tone.

10. SkydogFan81

Do you think that both guitars have the "fizz" on them. Our other guitar player goes for more gain and distortion. Sometimes using an octave fuzz that hides the notes more than emphasizes them if not dialed in properly.

11. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

Yeah, I think that the guitar sounds gets very fizzy and compressed and inappropriate for the some of the songs. I thought the second solo tone on "I'm a Man" was pretty good. There was a certain clarity along with the over drive that made the sound less compressed, more dynamic and more articulate. The problem with overdrive is that the more you use, the more all the guitars begin to sound the same. I know many of us aspire to having great solo tone, but that often comes at the expense what is really appropriate for the song. Most of the tunes on the recording would benefit from cleaner, more melodic solo tones.

By the way, you mentioned it was your first time in the studio. Very good results for your first foray! It gets better from here! I realize it can be very overwhelming to do a recording and would suggest the following:

If there were a way to all go in the studio together on the first day with your goal being, "to record the bass and drum tracks." Of course, record the guitars and vocals, but only as reference tracks. Concentrate on getting great bass and drum tracks laid down. Once the bass and drums have an airtight groove happening, you've got something solid to build on.

On the second booking, add the rhythm instruments to the track. Take the day to get great sounds happening that will best blend with the vibe and style of the songs. Make an effort to find the perfect rhythm tone for each tune and then lay the tracks down.

On the third booking, record the vocals and guitar/keyboard solos. Take the whole day just for these parts and the magic will start to happen!

By breaking up your recording into parts like this and disposing of the reference tracks as you go, all the pressure stops and the vital focus required for excellent performances is there in abundance. Plus, you always have the "energy" created on the reference tracks when the whole band played together. The only difference is, you'll play off that energy now, and get better sounding parts by the end of the day.

On the 4th day, let the engineer get a rough mix of everything before anyone opens their mouth with any comments. Take the whole session just to do the mix down.

If you have the luxury of time like this, you will produce a stunning recording that will far exceed even your own expectations. I have sat in on some very cool album projects as they were recorded and that's the way they did them. The enjoyment and lack of stress helped everyone give their absolute best performances and everyone was happy.

Sorry to get so off base here but I like what you guys are doing and I think you did an awesome job on your first jaunt through the studio. Here's to many more successful recordings!

12. SkydogFan81

Thanks for your input! A little advice goes a long way. We were pretty happy with what we got. We sat in the studio for about 8 hrs waiting to play because there were some recording equipment malfunctions etc. We ended up only recording for about 8 hrs total and we had 26hrs booked! Next time gadget! I'll keep your words in mind when I go back into the studio (in 2 wks with other band). Thanks again!

-Marcus

13. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Great stuff. Do you guys ever come over the hill and play?

14. SkydogFan81

We haven't yet. Check out the site, we are constantly adding new gigs. Thanks for checking it out!:dude