Divided by 13 EDT13/29 ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SkydogFan81, May 21, 2008.

1. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I just got mine and I have a few ?'s for other Divided by 13 EDT 13/29 owners.

1) Did yours come with a Reverb footswitch?
    2) Going from left to right, my preamp tubes are:
    12AX7, 12AT7, 12AX7, 12AX7 2 KT66's and a GZ34
    is that correct? Seems like the AT7 is always last in my other amps.
    3) With the mid boost pulled, in 13w mode, the hum is LOUD, so loud that at band practice the guys were giving me a real hard time about playing out with it like that...the tone was unbelievable though!

I looked for the other EDT ?'s thread, but it has been removed?!!?? for some reason. I thought I would post this before calling FT

Thanks...

2. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

I just got the EDT head, and I hear the same hum as everyone else if I am playing in a quite place. At band practice it was noticable at all. Is is strange that some seem to have a louder hum than others. Could it be the electrical outlets being used? I noticed that my RSA 23 is loud only if at a certain location. Anyways, best of luck and maybe the amp just needs time to settle down.

3. SkydogFan81

Thanks for the response Greg. It's hard to believe that you pay close to 4K for an amp & cab and not get a footswitch or an owner's manual. Also my speaker don't have an Ohm rating anywhere, so I just assumed they were 8 Ohms.

I'm looking forward to your new post on the hum etc. FYI I played a TV show last night and I had it set in 13w mode vol about 9o'clock, mid boost pulled, damp switch in the up position and the hum was not noticable. Only after 12 o'clock with the mid boost pulled is where the hum becomes LOUD on mine.

4. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

For me the noise would make the amp unusable. Mic'd through the PA just makes it even worse. There has to be issues with the amps. I guess that I don't understand.

5. SkydogFan81

Are you speaking from experience? If you mic the amp, the volume is low enough that the hum is negligible.

6. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

No info on the reverb footswitch or the hum issues, but I spoke with Fred on the phone about manuals and he told me that he does not include manuals with his amps. He would prefer that you contact him directly with any questions you may have.
    For example: I called him 3 different times over the course of as many days and he always picked up the phone and answered all my questions to my satisfaction. I believe he likes to be very "hands on" with his company and would prefer to address any issues or questions himself.

7. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

I currently own an RSA31 combo, and have owned a 9/15, 33, and a 23. And I never had any issues with idle hum, especially in a live setting. In fact, my 31 is rather quiet, even with the gain and volume cranked. Plenty of pros seem to use them on stage and in the studio without a problem.

peace
    -jeff

8. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Yes, speaking from experience. It was actually the noisiest of the boutiques that I have owned. I know that everyone here loves them but the amp was sensitive to our lighting on stage and the sliders had to be brought down after every song.

The other amps that I have used have not had this problem. It simply didn't work for me.

9. SkydogFan81

Butch,

Thanks for your input. Was it the EDT that you owned? Just wondering if certain models have more hum etc.

10. minjason

minjason Member

Hey SkyDog,
    I have the EDT 13/29 Head that I use with a 1X12 Divided Cab, and while there is definitely a hum (as you'll hear with other Divided amps as well), it has never been loud enough to become a distraction by any means. I use it all the time with the mid boost engaged in the 13-watt mode as well as the 29 watt mode, and I've never had my bandmates comment on the hum during practice and/or gigs. The only time I REALLY notice the hum is when I'm practicing by myself at home...it is definitely a lot louder than other amps I've owned and/or played, but like you said yourself, it's definitely worth it when you hear what this amp can do.

11. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I had a FTR37 that had noticeable idle hum to an irritating level. The RSA23 I had did not have any noticeable idle hum.

12. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I'd suggest to contact Fred at %13 and express your concerns.

13. n.j.

n.j. Member

Divided by 13 amps never come with a manual, Fred prefers people to contact him directly (310.547.1313). As for the footswitch, it's also not included, any standard one-button should work.

I have a JRT 9/15, an FTR 37 and an EDT 13/29 (up for sale), and none of them have unusual hum issues. The JRT and FTR are actually the quietest running amps that I own, to the extent that studio guys and soundmen will comment on how silent they are. Any extraneous hum could be coming from a variety of sources, but they're not inherent in the circuit, at least by my experience.

Killer amps, all, and great customer service.

14. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I have always noticed that Fred puts his preamp tubes very close together maybe this has something to do with the hum. You might want to try some really good NOS preamp tubes and see if it improves the hum. Matchless amps seem to hum alot to but the tone is die for.

15. Seditious

Seditious Member

My RSA 23 has no hum that I notice. Hmmmm.... strange that he said the EDT is supposed to have hum.

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm very interested in the EDT but I'm kinda concerned with the idle hum. I play in a Church setting so any unwanted noise is very important.

I previously owned a FTR37 and traded it for a RSA31. The FTR was an amazing amp and the tone was simply one of the finest 6V6 amps I have ever played or heard. But it did have an audible idle hum. Not very loud and pretty much unnoticeable when playing the way the amp was intended but at very low volumes it could be heard.

What's strange is that some people's FTR hum and some don't...WHY? Then when you ask Fred he quickly says its normal...

My newly acquired RSA31 is pretty much dead quite which comes in handy when playing bedroom levels late at night. It actually works better for me over the FTR because I'm more of a Vox/Marshall guy over Fender stuff.

So, I guess its safe to say that certain D13 models WILL have an inherit idle hum within them. So far it looks like its being limited to the FTR and the EDT...

Are there any others?
    Will combos matter?

I'm looking at picking up a D13 1x12 combo or a head and 1x12 cab setup. Mainly to grab and go, crank up or run with pedals. These were on the list:
    • JRT 9/15
    • EDT 13/29
    • CJ11
    Which would fit the bill for me better? I'm thinking the JRT now because of the hum issue.

What other combos or small head and 1x12 cab setups would compare in other brands?

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Can you explain in further detail?
    • What model?
    • What tube?
    • What tube brand/model?
    Thanks!

18. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

I have a Bad Cat Hot Cat that I got cheap, because of hum. Check your preamp tubes, replace them. These often get tweeked in shipping, as most amps ship with them installed, (yes botique amps too) and see if it helps!

19. SkydogFan81

I replaced all my preamp tubes with NOS Mullards and then with NOS Amperexes....it still hums LOUD! I wanted to ask ?'s before I call Fred. Although he's straight to the point/blunt, he's always been nice and sincere. I'll call him now. Thanks for the input.

20. mprvise

mprvise Member

I think the JRT would be a great choice. Sounds great cranked (but still pretty loud) and takes pedals extremely well. I use mine with a Two-Rock 1X12 occasionally with great results. (Usually I use a 4X10 with the JRT). My JRT has no hum or other noise issues. In fact, I can hear the fan more than anything when not playing (but it's by no means loud).

I've been wanting an EDT for some time now, but all these noise issues have me concerned. I've played a 10/20 that had some horrible noise issues - no way I could live with that.