Divided by 13 ERT33 vs. Bad Cat Black Cat 30r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by agentcooper2001, Aug 14, 2005.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I've been using the Bad Cat Black Cat 30r for the last few years as my main amp. I've always enjoyed this amp and am definitely a EL84 guy. That's just my sound. Of course, after you use a certain piece of gear for a while, you start looking around at other stuff and wonder what you're missing.

I'm wondering what I'm missing in the Divided by 13 ERT33 or the RSA31. How would you compare either of these to the Black Cat. I know they'll be similar, but for those of you who have tried both, what's your take on it?

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

ERT33 has waaaaaaay more gain on the "click channel" than the Black Cat.

3. Richards

Richards Member

I have only played the Black Cat a couple of times, (played it for 60 minutes overall which gave me a good idea of what it did) great amp too IMHO!! In comparison to the Divided by 13 RSA 31 ( which I have had for 3 weeks), the Divided by 13 has in my opinion has better bass response (low end stays tight on all volumes) the black cat seemed flubby on lower to mid volumes, I found the Black Cat to have a little more high end harshness when overdriven, and when I say harshness I mean a focus on the higher end of the mid tonal spectrum, in comparison the RSA 31 sounds a lot smoother in this territory (atleast to my ears) The Black Cat has more gain the RSA 31, tons of jangle and chime on the RSA 31, more so then the Black Cat does. Thats all I can think of now, but they are both great amps . To some people its Komet, others it Top Hat, I was looking for a Vox AC-30 amp and took a chance with Div by 13 and am continually blown away, *uck 3-D , these amps are extremely(lisp it out here) Fre-D. Tacky I know but it had to be said

4. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

It sounds like the ERT33 would be more up my alley than the RSA31. I think I'd prefer more gain than the black cat, rather than less. How does the ERT33 get so much more gain than the Black Cat? What sound would you compare it to?

5. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

+1 I agree. BlackCat is nice, but RSA31 is AMAZING!
    BC hopefully gone in Sept.

Class AB is my new love!
    plenty of dirt for me.... couple channels together, add a boost, click channel is the lead tone for me.
    cleans are jangley, tight and c l e a n! as Richards said.
    I'm avery happy camper here!

Richards, you bought Brian's?
    '
    :dudeI

6. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

It sounds like the RSA 31 may be too clean for me. I like a bit of gain, especially for lead work, although I use pedals alot too. Do the RSA & ERT33 amps both have master volumes? If so, can they be bypassed?

7. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

no MV on the 31. I don't believe on the 33 either.

8. Richards

Richards Member

Gril Grissom :Richards, you bought Brian's?

Yes I did Gril!

9. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

OK, the RSA 31 isn't a high gain amp, but it can get mean. Having owned the RSA 31 for a couple months now, I'm liking the non-click channel with a Keeley Java Boost.

Man this amp sounds sweet. It really shines with 2 Celestion Blues. I'm playing an R9 through it loaded with Darkbursts and it sure is fun (yeah, and the FTR 37 ain't so bad either! ;) )

[​IMG]

-Rich

10. Distortion

Distortion Member

Some people will say that Fred's ERT 33 is an AC 30 clone.. It isn't. But if you have ever played a great old AC 30. this is what the RSA 31 is like..
    Now if you are looking for more gain, you might want to try the FTR 37.
    I have owned five Divided by 13 amps and the FTR 37 is my favorite..
    I would buy a RSA 31, but I already have that base covered with a 64 JMI AC 30..

11. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Yep.... definitely check out the FTR37! I know you're an EL84 guy but this amp just has to be played to be believed. One of the most amazing amps of all time IMHO. Just plain fantastic tone.

12. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

to top it off, I'm seriously gassing for the JRT 9/15. I think that would be the perfect amp to carry back and forth to rehearsal, jam on at home and play small clubs with. How much do those go for new?

When I finally hit the lotto, I'll get the 9/15, ERT-33, FTR-37, RSA-31 and for my bass, the TBL-200.