Divided by 13 fever...PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crossroader, Aug 21, 2005.

1. crossroader

crossroader Member

Greetings gents in tone!
    I'm new here and just want to say that after frequenting other forums, this one is heads and shoulders above the others Most everyone appears to be friendly gentlemen and it's truly a pleasure to be here.

At any rate, upon selling an amp this week to a really super guy who posts here on the gear page...he really encouraged me to check out this forum. Needless to say, I'm really glad I did!

Anyway...I pretty much had my mind made up about purchasing a 2x12" Blockhead Firstborn, GDS, or similar 18-watt Marshall clone type combo. That is until my new tone-fiend-friend turned me onto the Divided by 13 stuff. Now I must admit that I'm totally intrigued with these amps! I have a 50 watt Wizard Modern Classic, which has plenty of power and gain...so I'm very happy in that dept. However, I'd now prefer something that will get me a sort of early Billy Gibbons/Beano type tones...but at a somewhat lower wattage. According to their website, the FTR37 which conveniently has a half-power mode, also comes in a 2x12" combo, which should be awesome...thus, would any of you guys who either own any of these amps, or are intimately familiar with them, mind posting your thoughts and observations on the Divided by 13 amps? Any thoughts, info, or encouragement about your / by 13 amps and configurations, etc. would be sincerely appreciated. Mainly being...which one you own and which sounds like/compares to what, etc...

I still love everything about the little 18-watt Marshall type combo, but now that the / by 13 has come to my attention, I'd really love to hear what you guys think about them. Especially why I might dig this amp more so than the 18 watt Marshall clone, etc...

Many thanks in advance guys! It's great to be hear! :p

Mark

2. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I don't think Fred is making the full size heads in combos anymore.

Have you listened to the sound clips out there yet? There aren't many, and IMO they don't all reflect the amps strengths.

LeonC's Leon's vids are probably the most telling of the 37.

Pete Min clips
    A little studio added in there, but a decent reflection.

Lances
    I think Lance plays with his fingers instead of a pick, so the tone is a little different.

3. crossroader

crossroader Member

Hey thanks very much Jemlite!
    That LeonC clip doing Hendrix with an Anderson Cobra is simply magnificent! I mean...damn...that tone is just magical!

The Pete Min clips are also incredibly superb! It's no wonder why there's so much great hype about these amps.

I'm pretty sure Pete Min's and Lances are the same? The more I hear, the more I'm floored! Which model are the Min clips Jemlite?

From the very limited info I have on the / by 13 amps, I'm guessing that I might really dig either the FTR37, or perhaps the RSA23. All I can say is WOW!

Thanks so very much!

4. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Those are all the FTR37 that I linked.

I don't think the Leon clip with the Anderson is the 37 though, is it? Did the link I gave send you to D13 videos? I thought it did when I pasted it.

I have a 37, and it is a great amp. Pretty versital, and hugely cutting in a band mix. Anything you can't get out of it straight in, you should be able to get with a pedal. Very cooperative amp.

They aren't for everyone. Not a very forgiving amp... It can be very forward and hard hitting. I think this is what makes it great in a mix. They can be a little loud too, but I use an attenuator with great results.

If you can't have one of each of the D13's, I think the 37 is a great choice.

You should do a search here on the forum.

5. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Jemlite,
    Leon's clips are from his FTR 37 and the vid's are excellent. By the way, got my scumback h30-55hz in to replace the G12H30.....it's superb....you can REALLY tune this amp with speakers. Amazing. I would like to try his greenback style also just to see the difference.

6. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I will do my best to sum up some things that might help you understand the FTR 37 more after owning one for a while.

The "Reverb Channel" has absolutely stellar cleans that are fendery, very responsive, EXTREMELY punchy(even in the bottom end) and thick. You can get a healthy dose of bass...just listen to LeonC's video clips...nice high end but then when he goes to a low note on a chord, the bottom end blooms beautiful and really fills up the empty space. As a friend said to me, it has that "bright/dark" thing going on, it can have a lot of bottom and still have enough top to cut, but it's not harsh. Things start to break up with single coil a little after 12 o'clock. This is a softer smoother breakup then the click channel, not as aggresive but a great sound. It will get a little hairier and meaner if you pull out the volume knob for the mid boost(the only pull knob on the amp). The reverb is splendid, I use it no higher then 9 o'clock but its a good spacious sound, very tasteful.

Now for the "Click Channel." From what I understand a lot of people don't dig it. You just have to find the right click for it and with this channel ESPECIALLY, you need the Divided by 13 2x12 cabinet. This channel about shook my house down with bass through a Jenkins Highway 61 2x12 with 2 G12H30's (70th anniversary), you need the Divided by 13 cabinet because it is tuned for Fred's amps, unless the Jenkins was just a bad mix....I dunno. Anyways...a lot of people think it's a narly, raw type of sound but it is incredible cool if you have the cabinet. I have gotten GREAT results with my strat. It's got a very thick, high gain sound(nothing metalish or anything, but you could play modern rock covers with ease). I can only imagine how Mississippi Queen or something like that would sound with a LP through this channel. With my strat I can get a great tone for songs like "crossroads", "voodoo chile", and numerous other favorites. It's got the goods.

The FTR 37 cabinet comes with one Celestion G12h30 70th anniversary and one Celestion Blue. 2 days ago I swapped out the G12H30 for a Scumbag H30-55hz and it changed some things for the better. The cleans could get kind of crispy some times, the new speaker took that away(remember, it's a clone of a good, old, G12H30-55hz speaker). Bass is not as boomy either as with the Celestion anniversary speaker. The biggest, most drastic difference was found in the click channel. It's not at ALL as narly sounding anymore, it's really thick sounding and while this channel was not meant to be smooth, it just evened things out and now it absolutely KILLS!

If I may make a suggestion....get an FTR 37(they've been popping up used here and there on a consistent basis). Grab a couple of speakers and then tweak it to YOUR liking....it's fun and it makes a big difference. When the time is right, I would like to pick up one of Jim's Greenback styled speakers like I said above and see how that sounds with the amp.

EDITED: FOR BAD SPELLING!

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Thanks fellers, glad you found those clips useful. That indeed is the FTR37 in the clip of Hendrix's Come On (and Let the Good Times Roll).

I love the '37 but the RSA 23 will probably get a little closer to the Beano type sound, if that's what you're looking for. The 37 (espeically when played cleaner) has more of a Fender vibe about it.

8. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

My FTR37 is "the" amp for me, and I gig with it on a pretty heavy basis. I use the reverb channel with a few choice pedals and the tone is to die for.

[​IMG]

9. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

While you're at it (and haven't committed to buy yet) you might also check out the 65amps London - you might like the features of that amp too...

10. Distortion

Distortion Member

Hey Mark,

Welcome to the Gear Page..

I think you will find the Gear Page is a great place to learn about all sorts of amazing gear you never knew existed that you can't live without. ;)

But what the heck.. It's only money isn't it.. :D

11. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I can cover a lot of bases with my FTR. I can do pretty much anything with just the Reverb channel and a Dual Drive. Having the Click channel is just a wonderful bonus! The amp really responds to how you attack the strings, you feel so much more passion displayed when playing through it. I love playing through mine.

12. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Give it a few months you might take that back.;) No just kidding for the most part it is a really cool forum and hope you enjoy it. I know I have enjoyed most of my time here.

Chuck

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Welcome!

Try to show some restraint buying cool gear, like the rest of us do...:D

By the way, I love my FRT 37. Cool big Deluxe reverb type tones (try a Zendrive for the D*umle tones) in channel one and switch to a Marshall-type tone in the other. Great volume, not too loud.

14. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Good decision huh. That speaker works incredible in an open back cab.

If you A/B the Blue and the Scum one at a time in the D13 cab, you'll see they even sound similar to each other. (Prob best to run 1/2 power on the 37 for this test because of the Blues low rating). I think this is why they work so great together. The Blue is a little louder and has tad more chime. The Scum makes things big and fills out anything the BLue misses. Same kinda flavor though.

I usually run my click channel A+B with the rev channel. It brightens it up a little more, and makes it more versital.

For huge crunch I've been running a Cornish G-2. This pedal works great with the 37. Massive hugeness. God I wish I had this combination back in my Metal days. It is sooo quiet you don't even know it's on when not playing unless you look at the light. It's like adding the lead channel of a Deizel Herbert to the mix.

The 37 likes pedals so much I've even been using my early 80's tube screamer with great results. (and I've never been a TS kinda guy. I just kept it all this time cause it's old). You gotta have the amp breaking up pretty good though. Very SRV.

These amps aren't chosen by pro musicians in studios and world tours for nothing.

15. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Welcome Crossroader....

I am really loving my FTR 37...many tones to be had from this amp.

In my case though, I highly dislike Fender Deluxe Reverbs..I guess I never liked 'em. Although it took me a few (expensive) purchases (1 DR Reissue, 1 Allen Accomplice, and 1 SF DR) to determine I dislike Deluxe Reverbs amp most of all. So that's why when I hear people describe the FTR 37 as having Deluxe Reverb tones I get confused. I just don't hear that in this amp (which is a GOOD thing). I do hear some great Fender tones in the amp, but they just ain't DR tones.

The cleans have so much more character, and those who say they hardly use the click channel, have a good point. The amp would be worth the $$$ even without the click channel. It takes just about any dirt pedal perfectly.

Lately though, I've been really hammering the click channel. Been on a classic pop rock thing, and I'm really liking how this amp sounds with the band.

Also, like Derek mentioned, changing the speakers is like experimenting with a whole new tonal frontier. I've been throught the stock setup (Blue + G12H30) and (G12H30 + Weber 1230-55Hz), but have really settled on 2 Blues. I mostly play the amp in half power mode, as I've haven't found too much need to use it in full power yet. It's quite the beasteven in half-power.

Also, I own the RSA 31 which is too cool as well. It really covers any Vox tones you would ever need but I still find the 37 as my favorite.

[​IMG]

-Rich

16. crossroader

crossroader Member

Gentlemen…thanks so very much for all the great info on the Divided by 13 amps….especially on the FTR 37. I haven’t quite made my mind up between the 37 and RSA 23. I only wish I could buy both, but for now one will do just fine!

I did end up speaking to Fred yesterday (great guy by the way) and came away from the conversation feeling that the RSA 23 might just be the amp for me. I already have a 50 watt Wizard head that just screams, thus I’d like my next amp to be a lower watt type and the RSA 23 watt would be about perfect for my needs. Of course I’d love to get the 37 too! But from all the cool /13 stuff you guys have posted here on the Gear Page, I believe that either of these amps will make me a very happy dude! Fred stated to me that the 23 is like a really great mid ‘60s Plexi panel Marshall, with awesome overdrive, which also cleans up really sweet when you back off your guitar volume knob.

The photos you guys posted are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them!
    fit2-btied that is one super-cool looking /13 you’re got there! And fzfwyv…I hope my R9 Les Paul will look as good as yours, leaning up against my new /13! Being that I know I’d love either the 37, or the 23, in the end it very well may come down to a coin toss! Right now I’m leaning towards the 23…but who knows? I very well may go for the 37. I do want to extend my sincere thanks to all you great guys for sharing your thoughts and experiences about these amps with me. Had it not been for y’all, I may have ended up with a mediocre amp, as I really have to thank “Distortion” Larry for turning me onto the /13 stuff. I had also considered one of the 2x12” “65 amps” combos, but I’m going to go for the /13.

Once again, thanks a million for the great info and especially for the warm welcome gents….I’m really grateful this place exists! You guys are the best! :dude

Mark

17. crossroader

crossroader Member

Does anyone have any sound clips of your RSA 23?

If so, please post! Thanks!

18. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Crossroader....what state are you in? Maybe there's a /13 somewhere in you area you can hear live...

19. crossroader

crossroader Member

Yeah...that would be great if someone who has a /13 lived near me so I could hear one in action. If anyone lives in the Mass/NH border area, I'd appreciated it if you'd let me know.

I'm in Lawrence, Ma. on the Mass/New Hampshire border.

By the way fzfwyv...I love your /13 rig. But in all honesty, I haven't seen one I haven't liked yet!