Divided by 13 FTR 37 Clips/Review/Pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Oct 9, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

HERE THEY ARE MY FRIENDS! FTR37 CLIPS! PICS! REVIEW!

I condensed all the good parts from the last thread to this one. I will delete the last thread as soon as i feel most of the people got the news of this one.

All the clips where recorded with a Shure SM57 off center on the G12H30 in a Divided by 13 open back 2X12 cab (G12H30+Blue). They were all recorded with a stock Fender USA Telecaster. I decided to not compress the file or put any plug ins on it so you guys can hear the most accurate clips i could make. Because of that, the volume goes up and down quite a bit and the over all clip may be soft. My goal with these clips was not to show my playing ability, but the amp's ability. I am not a lead guitarist, i'm more of a lead singer/rythm guitarists who just loves tone. All clips were recorded on half power.

Here are descriptions of each section of the clip.

All reverb channel clips were set with the bass and treble around 11 o' clock. with the volume around 1 o' clock.

All click channel clips were set with the click on about 1 o' clock and the volume at 9 o' clock.

1. Clean Picking on Reverb Channel
    2. Pushing the clean a little on Reverb Channel (Sensitivity to picking)
    3. Clean to Pushing clean by just strumming harder on Reverb Channel)
    4. Click channel Dirty to Clean
    5. Click channel Chords
    6. Click channel Riff Thing
    7. Reverb Channel w/ Reverb set at 3 o' clock

There is a lot more gain on tap than showed on some of the click channel clips and the switchazel boosts sounds absolutely amazing for lead riffs. I will record more clips with my band mates in the near future with a les paul or vintage sg so you guys can hear some lead stuff. I am also recording an album in December, so i will let you guys know when that is done.

http://members.cox.net/jonathanobrien/D13FTR37.mp3

REVIEW FROM JAM SESH:
    Just got home from a long day of practice, I LOVE THIS AMP! I have always been able to find so many things i didn't like about an amp, until today. For starters, my band plays really ambient rockin music along the lines of Coldplay or Engine Down for those of you familiar with the indie scene. The other guitarist in my band has a new Vox AC30cc. Before i got this amp i was playing an Orange Ad30 head out of an Orange 2x12 cab loaded with v30's. The amp sounded great in the studio but had a tendency to be a bit piercing. I could also never hear myself when i was playing with my band, the amp was plenty loud but simply would not cut. I'm sure this had to do with the closed back cab but anways ... now for the juicy stuff. I set up my new rig and we roll right into our first song. The amp is sitting PERFECTLY in the mix, every note is extremely clear and distinct and for once i finally felt as if my amp was a part of playing. This amp paired up the Switchazel opens up an entire world of possibilities. I can go from beautifully round and sparkly cleans with some of the most brilliant reverb i've ever heard (especially for this ambient type stuff) and with the click of a switch i can seemlessly switch to the roaring overdrive of the click channel. This channel tricked me so many times today. I would be playing between songs, thinking i'm on the reverb channel until i look down at my footswitch and realize i'm still on the second, this amp cleans up unbelievably well. The boost on the Switchazel is also a perfect match for the amp. This amp will be sticking around for a very very long time.

PICTURE OF MY BABY!:
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think. We may not have the same taste in music since i'm only 17, but i hope that these clips can help some people. Please let me know if they are helpful and what i can do better.

Please keep in mind i just did this in my room, these clips do not completely do the amp justice, and where the amp really shines is in a live/jam situation.

2. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Good job at puttin' it out there dude! :dude

I'd say that's a pretty good reflection of the 37. Super freakin rich sounding, huh? The recording levels sound fine, and nothing extra to distract.

There is more gain in there, especially with humbuckers. But, strat's and tele's show more 3D.

A warm amp that cuts! Who'd a thunk?

Cool.

3. themusicboxstudios

thank you, good to hear. and yes this amp is the most harmonically rich/warm amp i have ever played. The only thing that ever came close was a bruno cowtipper but i'm not sure how that would hold up in a live situation, and it is nowhere near as versitle as the ftr37.

4. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Great job on the clip. It does a good job of showing the amp. My favorite - part 2. The pushed clean. Thats where I keep my 'verb channel at.

Half power or Full?

5. flicker180

flicker180 Member

holy hell...you're 17 and can afford this?

geez...

what line of business did i get screwed outta?!?!?!?

seriously, looks good on ya!

dave

6. themusicboxstudios

thanks, it's actually at half power.

7. themusicboxstudios

hahaha, thats what happens when you work the whole summer scanning and filing tax returns.

8. flicker180

flicker180 Member

btw, what was your price on it?

i'm considering getting one and need to know how much above what i have now will be needed.

PM me if you don't want to talk to the rest of the forum.

dave

9. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

The nice thing about being young is you really don't have a ton of expenses. No credit cards to pay off, very few bills, no wives/children... it's harder to get money, but it's also the optimal time to spend it. I worked 40 hours a week for 2 months to get my Bruno... it's tough, but it's rewarding.

Just gotta save those pennies and every amount of birthday/Christmas/income tax refunds that you get!

10. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

BTW, I posted this in the other thread, but that amp sounds killer! Very nice...

11. themusicboxstudios

i bought used. w/ the switchazel it set me back about 3200.

12. themusicboxstudios

exactly, i figured that i better buy an amp before i move out or i may not be able to get it for a long long time. i'm glad you liked the clips.

13. themusicboxstudios

i'd love to hear more people's imputs on the clips. i just like to know if stuff like this is useful, i don't mind putting in the time to do it, if it helps people in their tonequest.

14. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

BTW, I saw Engine Down on their farewell tour w/ Bella Lea @ Chain Reaction in Anaheim. Did you go? :)

That's such an awesome amp!!!! I didn't think D13's could rock the overdrive THAT hard.

15. themusicboxstudios

i was on vacation, but my band mates were there :)

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Nice clips and amp! I'm 21 and you're not alone on this board with your music taste (my band does a cover of "Yellow", but we're all pretty diehard Coldplay fans). In fact, I think our bands are probably very similar :dude

Cutting through in a band mix is never easy. Even rocking the mids on an amp doesn't ensure you can be heard over a loud drummer. Glad to hear the FTR 37 can do that and a whole lot more :)

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

The clips sound really good, that is a gorgeous sounding amp (doesn't look too bad either!). Congrats on getting such a great amp at such a young age. You don't have to start out with Peaveys! Way to go man.

18. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I really, really like the clean tone you are getting, Cue. Very sweet and sparkly and reacts with wonderful bite when spanked.

19. themusicboxstudios

thanks for the replies everyone. i actually have a question about an attenuator for the amp. if i were to buy a hotplate, how would i plug it into the amp since each speaker has it's own jack. would i need to buy the 16ohm model and always use it on full power?

thanks, jon

20. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

If you just buy the MASS (which Fred would rather you have b/c of its design) you wouldn't have to worry about ohms...