Divided by 13 FTR 37 Too loud :( other amp ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Feb 2, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I think it may be time, that i just realize that this amp is too loud for what i need. On that very sad note, it may be time to move on to something with either a master volume, or lower wattage. i usually use the amp on half power with one scumback h75 and, i would love to play with the first channel (mid boost engaged) on about 11-1 o clock all the time but it's just not working out that way. i can really only get it to about 9-10 o clock before the volume jumps the gap into TOO LOUD VILLE. A tone close to what i'm going for would be stuff along the lines of Whiskeytown, Keith Urban, Wilco, so i kinda wanna that voxy breakup thing going on basically.

Hit me with the ideas guys.

Thinking:
    Dr. Z Maz 18
    Dr. Z Z-28
    D13 10/10
    D13 9/15

blah blah blah.

thanks, jon

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yo jon! Have you tried a Hotplate?

Other than that...I'd say it's time you came to the Bad Cat world :)

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Same problem as others with 'too loud' issues looking for smaller wattage amps. Either not enough headroom, or even at low wattage, it's still LOUD.

Try the hotplate. It does take some tweaking to get it right, but I still find it better that the alternative....getting rid of an amp that you love.

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Have you tried an attenuator?

5. themusicboxstudios

i have tried a weber mass, and it compressed the hell out of tone and chopped off the sparkle. that experience kind of killed my hope in attenuators. i will need to try out the airbrake and hotplate before i get rid of my amp. this is the amp for me, but from the moment i got it, i've been struggling with the volume issues.

i'm actually interested in the hotplate the guy has in the emporium, but he's new here ... so i'm kind of scared. but @ 150 ... damn what steal.

anyways, keep the ideas coming.

thanks, jon

6. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Pedals.

Once you get past the hurdle (ie, 'real men don't use pedals') and listen with your ears and not your eyes, they are the answer, especially if your playing in a band (where the other noise generated obliterates the cork sniffing).

I like the hi-voltage tube based units, like Bad Cat 2-tone, but there's plenty of great sounding units of all kind (well, maybe not quite digital yet).

Speaking of Wilco and pedals:

http://www.nelscline.com/tech.html

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Jon,

the weber mass is terrible...it cuts the sparkle on all my amps. You definitely have to try a hotplate with the FTR before you sell.

8. themusicboxstudios

do you have access to a hotplate i can try out ;) ???

and yes, i've tried the pedal thing, i've been using my tim for the first channels broken tones ... but nothing can recreate the second channel.

PEACE, jon

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You're in Orange County! You don't have a music shoppe with a return policy?

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Dr. Z/Trainwreck Airbrake and it works pretty good. . .With that said, after the third click, I find that they take the top end off.

Try a Matchless DC30. I think they get a great just broken up sound!

11. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Bad Cat Tone Cat does a pretty good job of that and has a master.

12. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I'll pass on a little nugget of wisdom LeonC gave me when I needed to venture into the world of attenuators...

Yes, there is no attenuator that is going to sound exactly like the amp does unattenuated.

But you should thank your lucky stars that you can still use an incredible amp in less than ideal situations.

Do I think the FTR-37 sounds better unattenuated? Heck Yes, it does. But can I be plenty happy being able to use this amp from playing with an full scale orchestra to outdoor venues if it means losing a little sparkle? Heck Yes I can :p

13. themusicboxstudios

hahaha, i guess i just feel like i'm throwing tone away, and with that, i feel like i'm throwing money away. It gets to a point where i just have to sit back and think ... should i play a 3500 dollar amp, and then even have to buy pedals and an atenuator to use it, or should i just get a 1200 dr. z an extra pedal or 2 and just rock it.

it's a hard situation since i'm only 18 ... but the thought of being able to keep the d13 for the rest of my life is what keeps me sane (money wise).

i guess the attenuator is the next step ... if i can't justify it ... the d13 may have to come some other day when i'm playing stadiums :p.

14. themusicboxstudios

what attenuator do you use play by tone?

15. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Get in contact with Pete Cage and see if you can check out his demo Corsa for a few days. The Corsa is not a Vox clone but it has that EL84 thing going on. The Half power switch gives it a different feel to it that not only cuts the power but adds sweetness to the tone. I acctually prefer the 18w setting on mine. Managable power levels. The transition into overdrive is very smooth and seamless. Loves pedals too.
    I think the Cage has hints of many different amps. It just sounds and feels like a vintage something or other. His demo program is worth checking into. You pay for shipping to the next guy on the list. So you can check out an amp from you own home for $30 or less.
    If you decide you want a Corsa it's not that long of a wait and it's totally hand made by Pete. Plus it's under $1400 new.

16. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I had the same issue. I have a Weber Mass and something just didn't seem right. Fred recommends the Weber though. I got the Hot Plate and seem to like it much better with FRT 37. You have to be carefull which hotplate when hooking up on half power. The OHM's are different because of how Fred wires the amp and cabs. I have it all written down and have to reference it when I work out the 37. Hell, I have a 9/15 as well and it came smoke out some volume as well. Somehow I think you need to hang on the 37 and attenuate as well as demo the other amps or you may find your self in tone circle. The clean head room is awesome, try some more BJF pedals for dirt at lower volumes. DRD is pretty awesome with FRT as well as EGDM. For bloom the PGC. The only mistake I've seen you make so far was getting rid of SBEQ too soon. Good Luck.

17. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i like the idea some people had about running a dummy load in parallel to your speaker cabinet. maybe try that

18. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I am thoroughly enjoying my Gabriel Voxer at the moment. At only 18 watts, it gives up the goods earlier on the volume dial than any other amp I've owned. Sounds GREAT for the kind of rootsy tones that you are after. Gabi makes a "Low Carb" version now that has just the Vox channel too. Check one out if you get a chance...highly recommended!

19. meterman

meterman Member

I don't know man, I'm not familiar with the FTR37 but if you have the amp on half power and volume @ 10:00 is too loud, I'd say you've got too much amp. IME amps sound best when they're running at least halfway up...I find that my 20w TopHat Club Deluxe 1x12 is enough for everything but larger gigs or outdoor stuff, in which case I'll bust out my 33w or 50w 'Hats. $3500 is a lot of beans to have tied up in something you're not totally happy with!! If it was me I'd either sell it and get something smaller, or just get a smaller amp to use for those situations for the 37 is too much and keep the 37 for the bigger gigs. Isn't there a lower wattage /13 or two? The TopHat Club Royale will also give you Voxy breakup at lower volumes, it's a very sweet amp and you'll have $2K left in your pocket.....

BTW, when I was 18 I had $hit gear!! So you're still ahead of the curve :RoCkIn

20. themusicboxstudios

thats what i needed to hear man! every body keeps telling me the weber is IT for the 37 ... so i just didn't have any hope in others. I've tried the EGDM (may get it again). I own the PGC and love it. I totally agree that i let the SBEQ go to soon and it's on my list for sure.

thanks, jon