Divided by 13 FTR 37 Too loud :( other amp ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Thought the same here.

(What's the verdict on the SS-3?)

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

well, i went to my local store today, and i actually lugged my entire rig with me. i tried out the hotplate AND ..... i'm getting one :). it sounded really nice, those switches on the hotplate help a lot and overall, it's a big step up from the weber mass (for the ftr 37). I am still interested in the airbrake, only because you can control the increments more, but i don't know if i'm willing to give up the bright and bass swiches on the hotplate.

i'm probably still gonna go to fred's shop tomorrow, to try the 10/20 and my buddy is gonna order a cab.

hmmmmmm. :confused:

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Supporting Member

yay jon! I'm gonna get a hotplate sometime...after I roadcase my stuff. Can't wait to jam that FTR37 someday. :D

4. themusicboxstudios

what are you doing tonight man? my friend and i are jammin @ heritage park from 7-midnight.

give me a call, we'll have a tone party!

peace

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Andy Marshall's THD Hotplate is amazing for what it does...And it has treble and bass boost switches as well.....And I'm a guy that has fought with attenuators since the early days of the EU Wurlitzer Boston Strangler, The Jim Kelley unit, Scholtz, Altair...They were awful!! sucked the life out of my old Marshalls....The Hotplate is a different animal...and for recording it's wonderful cause you can get the tone at lower volumes that sound better recorded than at high volumes cause of mic distortion ect...:AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK

6. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

see, listen to your Daddy, won't steer you wrong. I have a big interest in you. When I was 18 couldn't afford crap, played crap amps, crapo guitars, sounded like crap. OH, well I've made up for that. You just ozz passion. Oh, to be 18 again. Enjoy the ride. BTW, if you ever get a chance to try the "Ulitmate Attenuator" with the 37 I 'd love to hear your reviews on that. I hope you appreciate your parents.

7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

That's just the thing... The Airbrake doesn't need the switches. Not only are you limiting the choices available with your 37... It's only a matter of time before you'll be caught in that inbetween setting that would make the mix right.

Switches are fun, and the Hotplate will do the job, (and it's pretty)... but you asked for advice with the 37. TIFWIW. :rolleyes: :)

8. themusicboxstudios

thanks for the encouragement. i have a lot to learn, but i'm loving every bit of it.

and of course i appreciate my parents. i couldn't ask for a better life.

but .... i also pay for 90% of my own gear ;)

9. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Make sure you give a report about the 10/20(please!)...real interested in this one, or maybe an rsa23/31.

10. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer

FWIW, I had to sell my 10/20. I've heard the 23 and the 37 and still want ( and will get ) another SJT 10/20. What a cool, cool amp.

Sam

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

curehardy - sorry to hear the '37 is too loud for you and that the MASS isn't working out to your satisfaction. I'd much rather not have to use it too, and the amp certainly sounds better unattenuated. But for whatever reasons, it's worked out okay for me.

Before giving up, I'd certainly try:

- half power through 1 speaker, with the amp turned down further and some pedals. I'd also try this appraoch with the MASS, but not using nearly as much attenuation. Also, I hope you have a bright switch on your MASS...it's essential IMO.

- the THD Hotplate (my '37 sounds pretty good with the Hotplate too).

FWIW, I really dig the 10-20 too. Great amp. It's hardly a bedroom solution though. And it doesn't have that click channel mojo of the '37, so it's hardly a substitute, IMO. But it's a great amp on its own merrit.

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Oops...Just saw that you tried a Hotplate. My MASS has a bright switch on it and like I said above...it's really essential, IMO, as the sound gets too dark w/o it, particularly at higher levels of attenuation.

13. themusicboxstudios

thanks leon, when i had my mass, i had the one with the bells and whistles, and the bright switch almost seemed like it didn't do much of anything.

anyways, i'm picking up a hotplate sometime this week.

thanks, jon

14. hw2nw

hw2nw Supporting Member

I think I'm the only other 18-year-old on this board. Funny that the two regular young'uns on TGP live probably 5min from each other tops. :dude :dude

I also pay 80% of my college education, and fund 100% of my musical equipment. I've found the best way to do it is buy an amp, and when you sell it, chip in a hundred or two for an upgrade. Over four years I've gotten quite a ways with that :D

Power to ya Jon!

15. themusicboxstudios

haha, ok ok. But the thing is, the airbrake is bound to take off some highs, and lower the bass as the volume gets turned down, so how does it not need the switches?

i think the battle between the hotplate and airbrake, is between the impendence matching, and the bright/bass switches. i could totally see myself using those switches. so as long as i stick with only one speaker (16 ohm hotplate) or 2 speakers (8 Ohm hotplate), i should be set correct?

please feel free to sway me either way. i just wanna get the right one the first time.

thanks, jon

16. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

OK, now I am more impressed. You are way ahead of me at 18. How times have changed.

17. skybosky

skybosky Member

I'm a tone nut, and I finally got an Ultimate Attenuator about 6 months ago. What I like is that it lets my amps' signature tones come through...I play a Matchless HC30, 71 Marshall 100w Super Lead, Komet 60, Mojave Scorpian 50watt, 65 Fender Pro and a Marshall 2000 SLP100. I have no trouble with loss of highs, attach, touch sensitivity or loss of dynamics(compressed output) with the UA. They are expensive but very well worth it. I use to have a Weber Mass which really compressed the signal too much for my taste. I'd definitly keep the /13 amp. You'll regret it if you dump it now. Here's the link to the UA site http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/home.html
    Best wishs....

18. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

This is the post I've been waiting for. I might as well dive in. I've checked them out and been on the fence $. I have gotten along fine with all the Hotplates, Mass, etc, but I think the UA time has come. I even mentioned early in this thread to orginal poster, hoping for someone to chime in about the UA. One day I will have my bunkered cab room complete until then it attenuators, MV's and ear plugs. Thanks for taking me over the edge on the UA.

19. wichita

wichita Member

Try the 9/15 rather than going the Dr Z direction. You will be let down after the 37 believe me

20. themusicboxstudios

Picking up a hotplate tomorrow. 227 out the door for a brand new one seems fair. I'll update once i get in a band situation.

peace, jon