Divided by 13 FTR 37 w/ Attenuator?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Sep 25, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Well guys, i'm extremely happy to say that i have my d/13 ftr 37 head, 2x12 cab (g12h+blue) and switchazel on the way and should have them by the end of the week. I was wondering how an attenuator like the dr. z airbrake would work with it since you need to use 2 speaker cables from the head to the cab. I've seen some pictures with a weber (leon c's), but i can't seen to grasp how it works unless the attenuator as 2 inputs and outputs.

thanks, jon

2. sssmile

sssmile Member

I don't understand why you would need one, the amp to me wasn't that loud and sounded great at reasonable volumes. In fact I believe fred frowned on attenuators with his amps.

3. themusicboxstudios

just simply for home use and more control over volume when i need it.

4. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Fred also mentioned to me that he's not a fan of attenuators with his amps....in fact, I believe the words were "don't use them"!

That said, I've seen him add master volumes to the 2nd channel with killer results. He uses one of the inputs so it's non-invasive. .:dude

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Just use the half power switch, I don't think the amp is that loud, in fact it's my "quietest" head.

6. themusicboxstudios

i guess i'll just wait to get it and check out the volume on half power ... i would still like to know how you guys do it though, just for kicks and giggles.

7. Distortion

Distortion Member

Leon used a Weber Mass and seemed pretty happy with the results.
    I personally haven't used one with my 37, but any attenuator with dual speaker outputs and the correct ohms setting will work.

Try the amp first before you buy an attenuator.

8. themusicboxstudios

thanks, i'm not planning on getting for a long long while ... i was just curious.

9. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

No one likes to use them, but some of us have to :eek:

I believe I heard through LeonC that Fred preferred the MASS b/c of its speaker-like load. So I use one of those and am happy with it. I use it to knock a little off (basically around 12-1 o'clock on the dial)

I've never heard of him doing master volumes, but thats pretty cool :) I'm happy with the MASS doing its thing when needed.

10. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

This is basically what I gathered from Fred. I totally understand using an attenuator with this amp, particularly if you're at home or something (or even on a gig, frankly). That click channel is LOUD. 37 tube watts -- especially given the way Fred has designed the output section -- can move your furniture.

11. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

No joke dude. The amp is loud. I don't know where you guys play. But the 37 is allot of amp. And I'm a guy who used to play big stages with 2 full (yea, 4 cabs) Marsh stacks cranked.

But it is managable. With some experimenting you can find what'll work best for you. I go back and forth with an atten, and straight in. Sometimes half power, sometimes full. Know this... there really isn't a huge volume difference between the two. Mostly it just breaks up earlier in half power.

All the big crunch is way up there (12:00+) on the volume, so I use a Z Airbrake if needed. Lately, I've been running full power straight in with lower volumes (10:00) and using pedals to kick it in the ass. This works great if you need extra clean headroom.

At lower volume settings it really helps to bring the bass level up (more click too) to fill things out. The louder the volumes, the less bass needed.

I tried a number of attenuators, and found the Airbrake to be best to me. Good luck.

12. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Oh... Fred made me a small box to split the single output from the Airbrake into 2, for each speaker.

13. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

When I first got my ERT33 I asked Fred for a recommendation on taming volume for very small club gigs. He recommended the Weber Mass (as PlayByTone sys, because he preferred the speaker-like design should keep more of the amp's mojo which comes from the interplay of the power section and the speakers).

I got the Mass (the bigger box before they re-vamped it last year) with all the extras (treble switch etc.) to try, but I must admit I didn't like the results.

One of my gripes with the Mass is that when you switch it out of the bypass mode, there is quite a hefty attenuation, even with it set to minimum. Tone-wise, I think it loses that very mojo mentioned above.

I also have an Airbrake. The Mass is just a wee bit more natural with the ERT33, but the Airbrake works better with my Orange for example. I like the fact that the increment from bypass to first click of attenuation is smaller on the Airbrake.

I used the Mass only when it was very necessary.

YMMV
    Chris

14. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

On the Airbrake you can set the atten click increments to whatever you want. Just slide the rings clamped on the big metal bar around in there.

I find it to be very transparent on the first couple clicks with the 37. (the bedroom settings stink).

15. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yeah, if I take the MASS dial lower than 10 o'clock (on high range still) its rather unappealing.

Outdoor gigs, its easy not to use the attenuator, but when you're on an IEM biased stage I usually need the MASS to take a little off the top.

16. themusicboxstudios

thanks for all the help some of the guys scared me by telling me this is a quiet amp ... :confused:

17. evhtone

evhtone Member

Yeah, I'm about to trade for one and if it ain't loud I don't think I want it! LOL

18. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have owned three FTR 37's

Every one of them is loud.. In a Good Way :D

If you think they aren't loud when cranked it might be time to schedule a hearing screen :eek:

19. evhtone

evhtone Member

Only problem is...I'm used to playing 100 watt Superleads with no attenuation. :)

But, I have played AC30's and was pleased with the power that they behold. I've been told that the 37 is as loud, if not more, than an AC30. I can live with that.

:D

20. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have a 64 JMI AC30 and would agree that the volume of the two amps is pretty close.
    I would not describe either as "not very loud".. They are plenty loud :)