Divided by 13 FTR 37

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Mine sounds fantastic and has no bass problems as I run it to my own open back 2 x 12 cab loaded with one 12H30 and one Greenback, both British. I have used this combo for years and it gets a lot of compliments.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
I have an FTR 37 since a couple of years.. tried at the beginning with other cabs and never been completely satisfied until I've got the matching 2x12 cab with celestion blue + G12H30.
The cab itself plays a big role in the clarity and punch of the sound you get as I've coupled it also with several friend's heads and all of them really sounded at their best. The speakers work very well together as the G12H has solid bass with sparkling highs and the AlNiCo Blue has the sweet midrange and vocal quality we all know (they absolutely need break-in..) Only downside is the limiting total power handling that is 30w nominal (FTR is 37w and all seems to be safe as Celestion is rather conservative about their speaker's max power handling).
About the FTR head.. because of my wrong cab choice and the time needed to break-in the speakers of the /13 cab (I've got it brand new) it tooks more than one year before I was really happy about the sound it produce. Also to keep the bass knob near to 0 position is a very good idea I've got here from other owners and works very well. The amp has a rather simple construction with no frills to give you a very dinamic and raw clean sound with a fantastic punch and frequency balance, with good sweetness and personality when pushed at the edge of breakup. I play pretty loud also at home so I've never met the "too loud issue" that is always associated with /13 amps. If I switch to 18w (half power) as often happens the volume drop is very limited but the feel of the amp change a lot. Less bass, less headroom and a little more spongy compression (37w has way more dinamics and punch).
I like it very much for a bluesy dirty feel with more breakup control under your fingers.
At 18w you can connect just one of the two available speaker to tame the volume down a bit more so this way you'll have the same total volume level of a little 1x12 combo with more air and diffusion due to the large cab. Reverb has that classic Accutron spring tank and it can goes too much very soon rising the knob just a little. I keep it very low and like the dinamic feel it gives you as you don't hear it at all playing soft and it can jump out when you hit harder. I initially ignored the click channel (if you do the same don't forget to leave the volume at 0 as the click is an always on channel). As soon as I got the clean sound right to my taste one day I've compared the click channel to some crunch sounding dirt pedal and discovered very soon how the crunch sound produced by the click channel has no rival in any pedal. Pushed with humbukers pickups at high volume levels (past noon) it really goes in a very Marshall/angry Vox territory. You could go Lead just with a klon type pedal but the only downside here is that without MV you have to rise the volume very high to get enough gain for a good crunch/lead sound. The hiss and the white noise is well under control in my personal amp but I know it can get worse on some models due to the noisy pentode used in the preamp section. I've become very used to how my FTR37 amp sounds now and sometimes I tend to consider it just an average good amp BUT... every time I plug my guitar in other amps (and yes they can be also top of the line amps) I really miss something of the fantastic character and the sweet fullness my /13 FTR gives to me every time I play it.
superb explanation of what makes this amp so special.

High Voltage

Can you run the FTR at full power into a single 1x12 cab? Speaker would be an 8 ohm Creamback 75. Which ohm speaker jack would I plug into? Thanks!

Simto

It's my favourite amp of all time for clean/crunch (I never play squeeky clean anyway) It's just got a depth no other amp has.
It's kinda funny how I like it more and more after trying a lot of different amps since buying it.

Try setting the volume on the clean channel half way up so it's a bit crunchy and then roll the click channel in to taste. It sounds massive :dude

I hope you're enjoying it op

rshull07

I just picked up a new FTR today in the Tuxedo finish with the matching 2x12 cab...I couldn't be more happy with it. It has a certain character unlike any other amp I own or have ever played. Its most certainly its own thing. Ill be taking it on the road starting next week and I need some road cases for it ASAP. Anyone have any suggestions for good companies to check out? Ive had more that one super bad experiences with Brady case in particular.

Stratogatto

Can you run the FTR at full power into a single 1x12 cab? Speaker would be an 8 ohm Creamback 75. Which ohm speaker jack would I plug into? Thanks!

Of course you can. Use just one 8 ohm speaker out and leave the other empty.. they are wired in parallel so you should connect a total load of 8 ohm using just one (1 x 8 ohm) or both (2x16 ohm).

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I'm strongly considering going back to an FTR. It was my first WOW moment when I was discovering boutiques. The advent of the Power Station makes it a much more realistic option too. I had a nice talk with Fredrick today too. I've always had good interactions with him. There's a reason these amps are on pro stages more than most.

rshull07

Anyone have experience with using an attenuator with the FTR? Im trying to think ahead to playing some smaller rooms in the near future. Is there a good attenuator that has two outputs so I can run both speakers in the cab?

Simto

I popped in to tag @Simto who has one that sounds fantastic, but seems he's already commented :beer

Cheers :) Yeah, I'm always lurking in these threads.

I like to think they all sound great because I would be on the phone ordering a new one if mine broke or got stolen.

I'm actually thinking about making a video soon showcasing my favourite tones from the FTR with a lot of different guitars and styles. Thought it might be cool.
I'm also making a video of my White Falcon that should be done this week showing some tones going into my FTR. I've got a pretty mean Malcom Young tone going with the FTR's volume about half way up and the Falcon, and hitting it with a Koko boost takes me into pseudo Angus territory :dude

JimGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Cheers :) Yeah, I'm always lurking in these threads.

I like to think they all sound great because I would be on the phone ordering a new one if mine broke or got stolen.

I'm actually thinking about making a video soon showcasing my favourite tones from the FTR with a lot of different guitars and styles. Thought it might be cool.
I'm also making a video of my White Falcon that should be done this week showing some tones going into my FTR. I've got a pretty mean Malcom Young tone going with the FTR's volume about half way up and the Falcon, and hitting it with a Koko boost takes me into pseudo Angus territory :dude

Do it! :)

FFTT

What was the issue with the RF noise way back? I assume long since taken care of in newer models.

When I first looked at /13, I was really interested in the ERT 33 Reverb.
RSA31 with reverb from what I understood then.
Then they were discontinued.

Simto

Will do! I was doing some stuff today but got lost in my Falcon, the amps' reverb and my Carbon Copy, so I didn't get anything done other than dream away for a while.

What was the issue with the RF noise way back? I assume long since taken care of in newer models.

When I first looked at /13, I was really interested in the ERT 33 Reverb.
RSA31 with reverb from what I understood then.
Then they were discontinued.

I had it pretty bad at my house. We live pretty close to a huge radio antenna though (I sometimes pick up radio signals when I sit and record my Marshall too)
But I had one power outlet like... mega grounded and I used a three pin power lead from the amp to the outlet. I've had no problems with it since.
My music room is in the basement too, but I've moved all my heads to my bedroom where my computer is since I got a Suhr Reactive load. I don't have a mega grounded outlet here and I'm having no problems with radio signals now. I don't know what's up, all I know is it sounds rad as ****.
Never had the radio signal problem with my SJT10/20 though. Great combo too. I hope to get the RSA23 head at some point too, but I'm really happy with my Fender Tonemaster. The FTR and Tonemaster sounds ****ing amazing together too

Stratogatto

My music room is in the basement too, but I've moved all my heads to my bedroom where my computer is since I got a Suhr Reactive load.[...]

Can you briefly explain your experience with the SRL please?
I'm using it with my FTR too and still trying to improve my results (overly saturated/compressed sound).. any suggestions? thanks!

FFTT

Last /13 I heard from member clips here was the new KT88 powered BTR 23.

Simple, but very cool amp.
Nothing grinds like KT88's pushed hard.

Simto

Can you briefly explain your experience with the SRL please?
I'm using it with my FTR too and still trying to improve my results (overly saturated/compressed sound).. any suggestions? thanks!

Well, it took some adjusting for sure, but it's an amazing piece of gear and I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to record their amps at full wack.
I mean... it sounds different than sitting in the room with a miced up amp because the sound you're getting is what you would get from the monitors in a control room so you need to adjust to not hearing and feeling the amps power blasting at you, but instead "just" getting the actual recorded tone. Which is actually pretty good considering you're using it to record hehe :)

The biggest problem I had was findin IR's that I liked because I find that 99% of them are mixed EXTREMELY dark and woofy. I like my tones to be totally clear, juicy and with no mud whatsoever, so it took a while for me.
You basically need to find IR's that match each amp you use.
I find what works best for my FTR is mixing two ownhammer IR's to match my FTR's real cab.
I don't have a recorded clip yet where I mix the two different IR's, I've only been using one at the time up until now, but I use a black back speaker with an sm57 in a bogner 2*12 open back cab for one (trying to emulate the sweet spot on the G12H30 in my cab)
And the other IR I mix it with is an Alnico Blue with a mix of two different mics in a 70's Marshall 4*12 cab.

I find that I need to HEAVILY high pass all tracks (Especially the 4*12 cabs) I cut most guitar tracks at 120 and a little cut at 250 to cut some mud. I find it sits better in the mix that way.
I have the bass on the amp at zero most of the time when I use it to record. I keep it a little under half when using it live. It's just got so much depth to it.

I think, finding IR's you like and matching them to what you want from each amp is the hardest part, but when you find them it's amazing. You get consistent pro quality recorded guitar tracks. It's pretty ****ing amazing honestly. It's like micing the sweet spot on your amp perfectly and nobody can move it around and make the magic go away :)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but here's a where you can hear my FTR through the Reactive Load (The first part has FTR all the way through, it gets pretty mean when it's blended with a Tonemaster)

So much for keeping it brief... But it's pretty hard to be brief about load boxes and IR's if you want the details.

Last edited:

JimGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Son
Well, it took some adjusting for sure, but it's an amazing piece of gear and I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to record their amps at full wack.
I mean... it sounds different than sitting in the room with a miced up amp because the sound you're getting is what you would get from the monitors in a control room so you need to adjust to not hearing and feeling the amps power blasting at you, but instead "just" getting the actual recorded tone. Which is actually pretty good considering you're using it to record hehe :)

The biggest problem I had was findin IR's that I liked because I find that 99% of them are mixed EXTREMELY dark and woofy. I like my tones to be totally clear, juicy and with no mud whatsoever, so it took a while for me.
You basically need to find IR's that match each amp you use.
I find what works best for my FTR is mixing two ownhammer IR's to match my FTR's real cab.
I don't have a recorded clip yet where I mix the two different IR's, I've only been using one at the time up until now, but I use a black back speaker with an sm57 in a bogner 2*12 open back cab for one (trying to emulate the sweet spot on the G12H30 in my cab)
And the other IR I mix it with is an Alnico Blue with a mix of two different mics in a 70's Marshall 4*12 cab.

I find that I need to HEAVILY high pass all tracks (Especially the 4*12 cabs) I cut most guitar tracks at 120 and a little cut at 250 to cut some mud. I find it sits better in the mix that way.
I have the bass on the amp at zero most of the time when I use it to record. I keep it a little under half when using it live. It's just got so much depth to it.

I think, finding IR's you like and matching them to what you want from each amp is the hardest part, but when you find them it's amazing. You get consistent pro quality recorded guitar tracks. It's pretty ****ing amazing honestly. It's like micing the sweet spot on your amp perfectly and nobody can move it around and make the magic go away :)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but here's a where you can hear my FTR through the Reactive Load (The first part has FTR all the way through, it gets pretty mean when it's blended with a Tonemaster)

So much for keeping it brief... But it's pretty hard to be brief about load boxes and IR's if you want the details.

Killer!

Top Bottom