Divided by 13 FTR37 vs. SJT 10/20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Dec 15, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I have a divided by 13 ftr37 and i LOVE IT! but ... it's a bit too loud for my bands (i've never used the full power and still need an attenuator on half power) ... i like to push the clean a little and i love the way the reverb channel sounds at about noon. I just fell in love with my BJF EGDM for my overdrive tones, so i'm starting to think that maybe i don't really need the versatility and power of the 37. I have a chance to trade my ftr37 for a 10/20 + 1x12 cab (i'd still have the 2x12) and i was wondering if you guys could tell me the differences between the two, both tonally, and volume wise. I know fretmaster has both, so i'd love to hear what you think.

and let me get this straight ... you can't use the switchazel to switch between the "channels" with the 10/20 right?

thanks guys, jon

2. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

Jon, you are correct- you can't use the Switchazel with the 10/20. 'Course, you could always plug in another amp...:cool: I have heard that Fred can install a footswitch for the gain boost, though, which would be very cool, and might work as a substitute for channel switching?

I've never tried a FTR37, but I can't imagine needing any more volume than the 10/20 has, unless you're playing on larger stages, outside gigs, or don't mike it up? Mine is loud, and even when playing with LOUD bands, the tone cuts through so well- I just never seem to need to turn it up all that much. It keeps up with my Mazerati (33 watts), step for step, although I believe the ToneTubby in my 10/20 is a more efficient speaker than the ones in the Mazerati? Good luck with your decision!

3. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Cuehardy, do you or do you anticipate playing on large stages? I ask becuase that xtra headroom that might be a small problem now could be a big help when you take it to a big stage and need it.

I have been in the position of only having a 20 watt head lately and for big stages/shows I am really hurtin' for some clean tones at those stage levels. Just my .02

4. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have owned both the 10/20 and the 37. When I first received the 10/20 it reminded me a lot of the 37.. But in my case the 10/20 could never replace the flexibility of the 37.
    The 10/20 does not have the reverb or the clean abilities nor does it have the presence and body of the 37 In my opinion you will regret getting rid of the 37 and replacing it with a 10/20.
    Why don't you only run one speaker in the 2 x 12 cab instead of using both?

5. themusicboxstudios

good stuff guys, it sounds like i better stick with the 37.

and Distortion, i have used it with only one speaker (g12h) and it's still too loud. :(

i guess it doesn't hurt to have all that extra power. for when i need it. i've been wanting to pick up another 2x12 with a less effecient speaker to see how that would turn out, but my head won't fit on fred's 1x12. o the choices ....

again, thanks guys ... if anyone has an opinion, feel free to post.

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Try a less efficient speaker. Sounds like you want a little more grind at lower volumes.

7. themusicboxstudios

any ideas for a less efficient speaker?

the thing is, i love the blue/g12 combo ... so it's gonna be hard for me to be satisfied. does scumbag make something i can use?

8. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

greenbacks are less effeicient and the Scumback take is a great sounding speaker.

9. Luke V

Luke V Member

I have a Scumback 12H-55, great sounding speaker. I believe It's 2-3 db less efficient than the Celestion. It is rated at 97-98 dbs. For me that's a good thing.

10. themusicboxstudios

wouldn't a 55 speaker be too dark if i was using it by itself? i understand that it would match great with the blue ... but the thing is, i'm more into chime than low end boom. is the g12h30 a 55 or 75?

thanks, jon

11. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

FWIW, I mic the 75hz speaker in my cab (I have 55s and 75s). I would say the reissue g12h30 is probably 75hz.

From what i understand a blue + 55hz is a killer combo though!

12. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

To loud for what? Playing Live? If so Maybe turn the cab around or use plexiglass in front of it... Is it a closed back or open? Closed back is a little lees volume.

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yo Jon,

Don't do anything until we've tried out the Airbrake. I should have that in a week or two.

14. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I have the 37 and the rsa 23......I love to use the tones of the amp on both channels. rather than relying on pedals for OD.....and yes....it can be too loud with a band....what has worked for me is using a hotplate down one click and a plexi in front of the cab and I can get everything out of the amp that I want.....I think this will make you and the people you play with happy!!

15. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

Just curious- any particular reason that the Switchazel won't work with the SJT? It has 2 inputs, same as the FTR. Steve

16. Distortion

Distortion Member

The FTR 37 is like an old four input Marshall, two for the clean channel and two for the click channel.
    The 10/20 is a two input design.

17. Distortion

Distortion Member

I no longer have my 10/20, but if memory serves me correct the 10/ 20 was not as loud as the 37 in the half power mode.
    The 10/ 20 is very impressive for its power rating, but the 37 in the half power mode can be very loud with quite a bit of head room.