divided by 13 in nyc?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crawdad, Jun 24, 2006.

1. crawdad

crawdad Member

anybody in the nyc area have one? i'd like to try one out before i drop $2500-$3700 dollars. i'll be your best friend and i'll bring a six pack.

2. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

I'm in northern NJ and I'd be happy to hook up. PM or email if you like and we can set something up. Oh, yeah, I have an RSA 23 smallbox and matching 2x12 D cab.

peace
    -jeff

3. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Hey Jeff, do you like the RSA better then the ERT??? If so, why?

Thanks!

4. hansoloist

Hrm, well, that's a tough one. In a lot of ways I really regret selling my ERT. That said, I could not be happier with the RSA. They really are very different beasts. Here's a quick rundown for you about the pros/cons of both:

ERT33

pros:
    - Utterly gorgeous cleans (think Super Reverb meets AC30)
    - Stupid good punch and clarity
    - Immediacy (notes exploded from the speakers)
    - Great headroom AND loads of gain
    - Complex roaring overdrive (AC30ish) with wicked low end

cons:
    - A bit loud

RSA23

pros:
    - Breaks up nice and early
    - Insane amounts of gain
    - Combines the grind of a Plexi with that amp-on-the-edge-of-exploding AC30 thing
    - Endless sustain
    - Volume is more managable
    - Nice AC30 meets Marshall cleans
    - Suits my style of playing a bit better

cons:
    - doesn't have the room-enveloping cleans of the 33
    - doesn't have the immediacy of the 33

You really can't go wrong with either. They each have their own vibe, and what sweet vibes they are.

peace
    -jeff

5. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

If you don't mind me asking, what's a new ERT33 head and cab cost from Fred?

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

The guy who works with Fred at the shop owns an RSA23 and RSA31. Best of both worlds!!! :D

7. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Thanks alot Jeff! I have a pair of '64 Silver Vox AlNico's waiting for either a RSA23 or 31, I can't decide which... Oh, yeah then there's the LDW, Crap!

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

it's a long dark road. first the 23 and 31, then the LDW, then the 9/15...

$$$$$$ :BEER

9. hansoloist

Fred's amps are addicting to say the least. If I can ever get the scratch together it'll be a 31 for me...or perhaps an LDW, haha.

peace
    -jeff

10. randy morser

randy morser Member

I've got a 9/15 down here in annapolis with D13 1x12 and D13 2x12 cabs if you're ever in the DC/Balt area. I'm happy to let you try it out.

RandyMorser@aol.com

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

You know you want that 31! Join the club! :D
    :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn

12. hansoloist

Haha, you know it! In hindsight, I really f'ed up. What I should have done was send my 33 back to Fred and have him mod the Reverb channel to 31 specs. Then, I would have had the 31 with Fred's killer reverb. ****, that would have been nice. Man, I can be a dense mofo sometimes.

peace
    -jeff

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

We could have a /13 party.....I have the ftr 37 with his open back with g12h and blue.....and the rsa big box with a closed back with greens in it..... I started jonesing for the new one with the master volume.....but just heard a clip and it really does sound like the rsa.....I would have to hear one in person to go for it!

14. crawdad

crawdad Member

thanks for the replies. did any of you buy the amp before you heard it? i've done this with a few pieces of gear, but it's a trend i'd like to stop. hey randy, how much headroom does the 9/15 have?

15. mlongano

mlongano Member

I think many of us purchased one of Fred's amps without having heard them first, myself included. Until recently it was difficult to find one outside of California.

16. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I know the sound is subjective, but how do the cleans on the FTR 37 compare to say a Two-Rock Onyx or Fuchs?

17. Sherman

Sherman Member

I've not owned/played an FTR37 but I do own an SJT37 which is an FTR37 with EL34's instead of 6V6's. I used to own a TR Onyx however I never had the chance to play them side by side.

That being said, I prefer the cleans on my SJT37. Don't get me wrong, the Onyx cleans were nice but I felt that it lacked any character. That's just my take because as we know tone is very subjective.

Just my $.02.

Sherm

18. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Everything is subjective........ touch sensitivity, sound, tone, etc......which is why I wonder when so many people on here argue about "whats the best" So what I will say about Freds amps......these are amps made to "sit in the mix"......there might be better amps out there for recording and studio work that have the sound and tone needed when looking for the tone needed......but when playing live these things are incredible.....they dont get lost in the mix and just sound plain incredible.....

I have a friend who owns a recording studio who really knows his s##t......he is also a pretty great guitar player.....he has an expression when we test out amps that he doesnt like......"must be broken"! Well I own the ftr 37 and the rsa 23 after hearing them in his studio........so obviously Freds amps dont sound broken!!!!

19. crawdad

crawdad Member

cr8z4life, it's funny that you mentioned the ability to "sit in the mix". a buddy of mine who has the 37 says the same thing.

having both the 37 & the 23 do you have specific uses for them? or do they "like" certain guitars? i'm a pop/rock/country/blues tele player so i was wondering which would suit me better.

20. randy morser

randy morser Member

Head room. Huh. The 9/15 doesn't have a lot of headroom. It breaks up pretty quickly. But cranking it dirty and then rolling off the volume still gives you a nice loud clean. Roll off the volume with a Hilton Volume Pedal that doesn't take out the sparkle like your guitar volume can (though not nearly as much with the D13s) and you'd have it pretty good. The two sets of tubes is great. American and british from one amp: cool. I'd love to have a D13 party. I've been dying to try some of the others.

I went to California on a business trip and stopped in at Fred's shop on Scott Lentz's recommendation when I was amp-hunting. I really can't thank Scott enough for that. Fred walked me through the amp's controlls and let me tear it open for a while. This really is the best amp I've ever owned. I'd like a 23 or a 31 next, though I only want one for the click option. That's the only thing that I miss with the 9/15 is the click channel, though I do a lot of damage with some decent volume and his Dynaranger (rangemaster-ish) for solos. I also wouldn't mind a fx loop. I play lots of things that require pedals.