Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by minjason, Jan 7, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

I currently play a Dr. Z Z-28 2X10 combo, which pretty much covers all of my gigging needs. I'm looking to replace this amp and pull the trigger on a Divided by 13 JRT/915 and was wondering if this amp will have as much clean headroom and/or will get as loud as the Z-28. Not looking for TONS of headroom, but enough for small to medium-sized clubs. After playing several amps, I've learned that more wattage does not necessarily equal more volume. Even if you haven't played the DR. Z Z-28, any comparisons between the Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 and other tube amps in the 22-30 watt range would be greatly appreciated.

2. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

the 9/15 does not have as much 'clean' room, for sure.

the 10/20 is alot closer to the z28 IMO.

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I agree... not much headroom with the JRT 9/15. EDT or SJT would probably be your ticket, IMO. I've played both these amps... they take to pedals really great and the cleans are awesome.

4. mild

mild Member

Hmmm, this thread is timely. I too am looking at going for the JRT 9/15. Have any of you cats tried the Goodsell 17 Mk2? That's what I would like to pair it with - I'm going to rid myself of my Matchless DC30 (because I'm sick of lifting it!) and go with a D/13.

The Goodsell takes pedals like a champ, and can stay pretty clean, and get pretty loud. I want the same, roughly, out of the /13. What say you, my gearpage brethren? Should I be looking at a different model?

5. minjason

minjason Member

Can someone also compare the Dr. Z Z-28 to a Divided by 13 RSA23 in terms of volume and clean headroom?

6. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Yup - I have both the Super 17 and the 9/15. The 17 has more clean headroom.

I would agree with Tonefreak.

ryans likes this.
  7. rcgpny1

rcgpny1 Member

I own an SJT 10/20 combo and have to agree with whats been said about it having more headroom than the 9/15. The 9/15 , I believe, is more useful in a situation where you might use say a 20 watt Marshall dimed.

8. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

I used to own a JRT and sold it for lack of headroom (for my needs), among other things. It doesn't have a lot. It's plenty loud, though.

9. mild

mild Member

Big thanks for the responses, guys. I'm still trying to make up my mind! I definitely don't want another hi-wattage amp (like the DC30) - I'm keen to keep stage volume down. I currently use pedals with the Goodsell (Tim + Eternity) and it works great. The idea of a mixed 6V6 / EL84 amp really appeals to me - and we run completely mic'd, with in-ears, every gig - do you still think I would need more headroom though?

Would you reccommend the 10/20 instead then?

10. Matt McKenzie

Matt McKenzie Member

I actually just got this amp yesterday. Is a sweet rig. I don't play real loud though. I just had to say that the cleans are so complex on this thing. Also the switch between the 6V6's and the EL84's gives you so many options...very versatile amp. Takes pedals like a champ too.

for my needs its plenty loud. Though, I don't play clean a lot...

-matt

11. buzzdog

buzzdog Member

It's a great amp and there are a lot of gain-shades available through your guitar volume or touch. Not much headroom though. You could always pick up a 2x12d cab and put a louder speaker like g12h30's for more volume.

12. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I'm the type that gets cleans by rolling the guitar volume back. Never really was the type to use an amp clean and use pedals for overdrive(except a boost)...so the JRT worked for me well.

I think if you run completely miked, in ear, etc. you could be okay if you dont mind a little bit of dirt on your cleans.

13. starfly59

starfly59 Member

If you put a mic on this amp, it will take you just about anywhere. I love mine and it sounds great in small rooms to big stages. Tori Amos' guitar player recently toured with a Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 - his tone was amazing. I bought mine after hearing it. He ran a lot of pedals like I do for dirty tones and used a good deal of delay and such. I like my amps to run on the verge of breakup, then hit them with some overdrive pedals and boost pedals for dirt. The cleans are very, very sweet on this amp, especially with a little dirt around the edges. I never turn the amp past 11 o'clock (usually less - both around 9 o'clock), even on a big stage in a room full of 1,500 people.

As I've played this amp over the last couple months, I really feel like the voicing on either channel is more American until the amp really starts to crunch - then it gets pretty British on the EL84 section in particular. The way this amp is voiced is truly like no other - it's not going to replace a Vox, Fender, or Marshall - influenced, but still quite unique.

Also, thought I would mention something else - Fred at Divided said that the Edge used the amp on stage during a good portion of the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb tour. Pretty cool.

14. mild

mild Member

We are kindred spirits then - that's exactly how I want to run it. Headroom is not really too much of a problem with the in-ears/micing system we use. I think you've just sold me on it. Thanks!

You sound like a Church player - am I right? That's my main gig as well, at the moment... we've been getting noise complaints from the locals, so out with the DC30, and in with the JRT... :jo

15. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Sounds like it would work for you Jono. Think JRT for more brit tones, 10/20 a bit more fendery...but you can definitely pull tweedy tones from the JRT. I love how the preamp is voiced, once you get the hang of it it is real versatile.

16. starfly59

starfly59 Member

Yeah, I've alread played the amp at church's as well as clubs and some other venues. I live in Nashville and mainly play as a live guitarist for some artists.

You're going to love the amp! DC30's are amazing, but I can't handle the weight of those amps.

17. n.j.

n.j. Member

I love my 9/15, I've used it in all sized rooms with no lack of headroom, although I suppose it really depends on the efficiency of the speaker(s) and whether or not you're miked. I usually run mine with the bright volume on 11 and the thick volume on 10, with a Tele. I run it though either a single G12H30 or a 2x12" w/ one ceramic and one alnico Scumback, depending on the room. Best amp I've ever owned.

As for the comparison to Dr. Zs, I don't know about the Z-28, but it's certainly louder and has more headroom than a Carmen Ghia.

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

More/tighter bottom end than a 65 London with the 9/15?

19. mild

mild Member

Oh-ho! :D

Thought you might pop up here, Grant... I went through all the old 9/15 threads last night, and see that you were weighing it between the London and the 9/15 not so long ago... the London ain't cutting it? :worried

All prior threads have mentioned that the low end is tight.

20. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hey Jono,

There are things I really like about the London...for example I love the creamy FE86 lead tone and the rawer crunch of the 12AX7 channel. There are a lot of cool recording tones in there for sure.

I do notice though that my old non-boutique, non-vintage AC30 has a bigger tighter bottom end for my edge of clipping core sound. When I dial up that level of clipping on the London it's a noticeably smaller sound. It doesn't keep the bottom end depth and twang I need. The only problem of course is that the AC30 is louder to get that level of breakup....age old problem.

I've had a lot of success with my Swart AST for really small shows but I'm still looking for the EL84 based amp that'll give me earlier mid-breakup tones than my Vox whilst not sounding like a small amp.

My intention is to keep running the 1 x 12" AST for small gigs or when I want a different vibe, a 2 x 12" 18/20 watter for medium size gigs and both together when the gig is big enough.