Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 vs. 65 London

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mr.supro, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mr.supro

mr.supro Member

Anyone have experience with these 2 beauties?

2. tuna

tuna Member

Don't have any experience with the London other than in the music store. I have a D13 JRT9/15 with two 1-12 cabs. One with a Blue and the other with a Heritage G12H. I had a SOHO with a 2-12 cab with a Celestion Gold and a G-12H 70th Anniversary. I had to part with one and the SOHO was the one to go.

For my needs, the D13 just is a little more versitle with the choice of 6v6 or el-84 tubes. Plus the fact that I have two 1-12 cabs versus lugging one 2-12 around. I really like the independent blendable volume controls on the D13 as well as the cut and 6 position tone knobs. It will start breaking up pretty quick on the 6v6 side. The el-84 side is definitely brighter than the 6v6 side. Someone here said the 6v6 side was modeled after the old Gibson GA amps of the 50's and I guess the el-84 side is in the 18 watt Marshall camp sorta of.

While the bump option on the SOHO is cool, I never used it. Pretty much cuts out the bass and treble controls. The Master Volume on the SOHO is pretty cool as you can get a lot of overdriven gain, you need pedals to do this with the D13 (at lower volumes). The SOHO cleans up really nice and chimey when you disengage the MV. The SOHO does not have the boost switch that the London has. And I think I remember someone here saying that the SOHO has more available gain than the London. And that the SOHO was more Fender and Marshall while the London is more like an 18 watt Marshall on one channel and an AC-15 on the other. I have heard the tremelo on the London and it is wonderful.

I think all three of are great amps, and you can't go wrong with either. You just gotta go play them and let your tone pallet decide.

Good luck.

3. mr.supro

mr.supro Member

Thanks for the info. I hope to try out a divided by 13 soon a friend just got one.

4. mr.supro

mr.supro Member

5. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

after owning both (and close to a half dozen of the 9/15s) they are totally different amps.

the london is more of a marshally 18w style of amp and the 9/15 is a design that comes from old gibson amps with a bunch of Freds sonic mojo on top.

The 9/15 is way more in your face than the london and feels like the note jumps out of the speakers.

the london is smoother in the way that it breaks up, it is a bit more forgiving than the 9/15.

The 9/15 uses two 5879 preamp tubes to get it's gain drive the tone stack. The londons EF86 side is a similar tube in theory to the 5879 but I think that the EF86 is smoother sounding when it breaks up.

The two amps are different enough where you could easily own both. THey are both FUN to play.

Hope this helps.

6. mr.supro

mr.supro Member

Thanks a bunch Mastervolume

7. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Hey Mark, hope you're doing well. I left your house with that Brian Setzer and it was on a record by that evening. It's gotten used, usually with your RSA31 on just about every piece of music I've played on since.

I haven't checked out the 9/15 very much, but was thinking about getting one for smaller gigs. How does the clean headroom compare with the London or for that matter the RSA31 or FTR37 (I know you've probably got or had 12 of each :D).

I once took my London out for a smaller gig and was really disappointed with lack of clean headroom. I really wonder if a good clean sound is at all posible with only an 18 watt amp.

8. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I think that it is the gain structure of the london that you are having the problem with it really is set up to do all those cool medium gain tones.

The 9/15 has more headroom and gains up differently. More like a 15W vox. It can be pretty loud. I never ran into headroom issues with the 9/15.

9. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Yeah, the London sounds great just not a clean tone monster unless you're at a really low volume.

Sounds like the 9/15 may be my next amp from Fred. Either that or let me know the next time you have one for sale :BEER

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'm about to list my 9/15 Head and 2X12 F Cab in the emporium. PM me or email jamiekoeth@hotmail.com for details.

11. mr.supro

mr.supro Member

12. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I had the London and used it for about a year before selling it.
    I still miss it. What a great amp.

The comments above are true about the clean headroom (with the Blue and G12H speaker combination). I ended up replacing the Blue with a Gold in a 2x12 open back cab and had better luck with a louder band. I imagine if you replaced both speakers with something that does not break up too soon you'd be suprised how much apparent headroom it has.