Divided by 13, nothing bettter!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jiml, Oct 9, 2008.

1. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Say what you will about them, they make amazing amps.

Finally got a chance to sit down in front of a few of Fred's amps last night. Played FTR37, RSA31, EDT, and a 23. Amazed at the tone and volume from these relatively low wattage amps. RSA and FTR were awesome, still really don't know which one I want. Loved the clean tones from them both, in both Class A and Class AB modes. Also impressed by the large sounding 1x12 combo's and 2x12 piggybacks. Click channels were perfect for my needs, just enough gain. I always wanted an amp that could combine refined Fender Cleans and Marshall grind, I have found it in the FTR37.

I am selling an organ to afford one!

2. hbentley

hbentley Member

yup, i have an FTR37 and it's just spectacular. when someone says their amp is versatile i usually think .. "jack of all trades, master of nothing". the FTR is the exception, it's clean, dirty, and in between tones are phenomenal.

3. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

After all the hype, I came away with the feeling that "they're ok". THey really didn't blow me away. I am not a fan of the 1x12 combo's at all. They are way overpowered IMO and didn't seem to be able to keep up with the output section. At least all the one's I played seemed that way.

5. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I want yours, but my bonus was "thin".

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

"You just can't have one", is the theme with me on D13s.
    They've been just addicting for me.

My most recent is the EDT and I'm really diggin it!

7. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Honestly, their wattage numbers are useless, as are the descriptions of being "Fendery, Marshally, Voxy, Tweedy" based on the tube types in the power section. The RSA31, Freds "Voxiest", had wayyy more bottom end than I have heard in any Vox I have played through. Those reference tones are there, but just bigger, bolder, more present.

8. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Agreed. I have an RSA23 and from the description on the Divided by 13 website I'm not sure which 4 input Brit amp design Fred was going for, but I'm not really sure what to compare it to. I know that it is the meanest 23 watts I've ever heard.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

D13s, have huge bottom end and in some of their amps way too much.
    I usually just dial it down though.

All of his models are definitely inspired by a well respected amp, just fed steroids.

10. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I have one for sale, but I also have 'mine'. Im not selling 'mine'. :)

11. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

You have 2?!?!?!?

Lay away plan?

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

I posted similar in a review here last October and of course was hammered on somewhat. A year later, playing the same amps that were in that same store last year, I still feel the same way. Highly overrated amplifiers.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Let's face it, amps are like pedals. They all have their own sound and not everyone is gonna dig a certain tone.

14. Simto

Simto Member

I want an FTR 37 with a 2*12 cab, it's one of the best amps i've ever played, it was just out of this world! i'm afraid i won't be able to buy one until next year...
    Amazing amps!

15. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'm with ya - LDW 17/39 and 2x12F cab owner here. Absolutely AMAZING amp. Hands down one of the best amps I've every played and owned. I'd like to add another Divided By 13 at some point.

16. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider an underrated, or appropriately rated amplifier?

I'm not trying to slam you for not liking the /13's, but just curious what you consider a 'not overrated' amplifier, given that a lot of people think /13's are pretty awesome, and most people who hear mine also think so.

17. Simto

Simto Member

That's true, even though the FTR 37 shares both Fender and Marshall tones, it does have a very unique voicing if you ask me, and that's what makes it stand out, it just sounds amazing :bow
    I can only point one thing out i don't like about it, and that's the "missing" middle knob instead of a push/pull mid boost, although, i really wasn't missing it when i played it.

18. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

RSA 31 and RSA 23 owner here, my 2 favorites out of all I have tried.

19. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I was blown away by a 9/15 that I played about a month back. Not sure how the others sound but this one was unreal with a Strat. At the time I wasn't amp shopping but it got added to my list of must purchase gear. Now I just need some cash.

20. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

The FTR and the RSA had a hi-fi sheen to them that is very pleasing, moreso in Class A mode. I'm usually a TMB Marshall player, but loved the reverb side. It had a Fender footprint, but it was hard for me to pin what model blackfaced reverbed model I was hearing. Not a Twin, maybe a Super?