Divided by 13 Owners - RSA31 tips!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by troykennedy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Hi All,
    I have an RSA31 and as you know Fred doesn't put out any kind of instructions with his amps. Would all you RSA 31 users chime in on everything I need to know about this amp? Click channel, eq tips, tubes, push/pull, outputs....anything that isn't apparent looking at it.

Thanks!

2. vrmd

vrmd Member

Hi troy. Is the RSA 31 your first /13? If you have a matching cab, Fred sometimes includes which ohms output jacks are recommended for full-power/half-power use. You may see these recs on a laminated card within the cabinet itself. There is no push/pull mid/gain boost on the RSA 31.... just the mid tone knob itself. The Switchazel works fantastic with the 2 channels. I highly recommend it. I also use a Lehle to switch channels that does very well. With a A/B/Y pedal, you can blend the TMB and Click channel too. The EQ on both my RSA 31 and 23 (and perhaps the EDT and FTR ... can't recall) work like no other amps I've previously owned. The way these amps are voiced and how the EQ functions makes it actually hard to get a bad sound outta them. More on this as well as interesting and effective ways to run both channels and include delay are in this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=466679 Depending how you intend to use the amp (what volume, which channel for cleans/overdriven tones, etc.), this thread may directly apply to you. Also, depending on what guitar you use and any pedals you may plan to put in front of the RSA 31, you will be able to notice the differences in each channel's Hi/Low inputs. I play a Strat and keep boosts/OD's/delay or reverb plugged into the Low input. Just see what works for you.

I am currently running my RSA 31 through its matching 2x12 (Blues x 2) cab partially opened. I have only had it for a little over a week and we are still in our honeymoon period, but it's my fourth amp from Fred's lineup. They are all keepers and I am really digging what the 31 brings to the table. Consider yourself warned... you may end up with another /13 .... too addictive.

3. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Thank you very much!! Yep, my first D/13. I don't have anything in print from Fred, no card etc... Is there any difference between the 2 8 ohm outputs I should be aware of?

4. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

enjoy the magic of /13
    switchazel is a must and you will not regret the purchase.

5. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

How diffeent would the Switchhazel be from say a Radilal Switchbone? Anyone ever compared?

6. vrmd

vrmd Member

No difference. Assuming you have a matching /13 2x12 cab for your RSA with separate speaker inputs, running full-power to both speakers should be out of both 8 ohm output jacks from the amp. At half-power, running the two speakers should be out of both 4 ohm output jacks. The option to use only one speaker out of this cabinet will also affect which output jacks to use. What cabinet/speakers are you using? In whatever manner, just match the ohms from amp head to speaker for optimum performance... and never go from higher impedance output jacks from amp to lower impedance speakers.

7. vrmd

vrmd Member

No difference in 4 ohms/8 ohms output from amp head, that is. No experience with radial switchbone ... but I love me some switchazel.

8. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I have an Avatar open back with H30 and a Blue. There aren't separate inputs for each speaker. So, I am assuming that it won't matter which 8ohm out I use when at half power. Is that right?

9. vrmd

vrmd Member

10. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Cool, I was afraid I might hurt the head by running half power at 8ohms as opposed to 4ohms. (2 16 ohm speakers)

11. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

I had an LDW and actually ran just one tap for 8ohm and it was fine on full or half power, but I know Fred recommends to split it when possible.

The last thing you want is to hurt such a pretty amp

12. vrmd

vrmd Member

13. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

14. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

15. m3g

m3g Member

I recently spoke to Fred on the phone and he confirmed you should connect an 8ohm cab (in my case, a 2x16 ohm speakers wired in parallel, single cab jack) to one of the 4 ohm speaker outs on the head when running half power.

16. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Nice! Thank you. That's exactly what situation I have.

17. vrmd

vrmd Member

Troy, just in case you wondered or if you plan on getting a /13 cab, Fred's instructions for these cabs go like this:

Full-power mode to BOTH speakers should be ran out of both 8 ohm speaker jacks
    Half-power mode to ONE speaker should be ran out of either 8 ohm speaker jack
    Half-power mode to BOTH speakers should be ran out of both 4 ohm speaker jacks

3 of my /13 2x12 cabs with separate inputs to each speaker are loaded with these configurations:

1: V30 + Blue
    2: Blue + Blue
    3: G12H + Blue

My only single input /13 2x12 cab is loaded with 2 G12H's and actually is labeled at 8 ohms at its input. This particular cabinet did not come with his recommendations.

18. troykennedy

troykennedy Member