Divided by 13 Rig Road Case

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Oct 2, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey guys, i'm going to order some cases for my d/13 ftr37 head and 2x12. I'm thinking of getting one case and keep both of them in it just for the convience of not having 2 cases to lug around at shows. My question is, will i cause any problems with the head or cab if i lay it down on it's back in my truck bed.

thanks, jon

btw, does fred usually keep his grill cloth a bit loose on his cabs? mine is slumping just a little tiny bit. no biggy, just wondering.

2. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Yep. My one complaint. Nice cab, crappy grill cloth work. I've seen at least 3 different /13 cabs with loose and/or crooked grills.

The cab is very easy to disassemble. Just take the baffle out, and remove a few staples where it is loose (as well as opposite of the loose grill), pull tight, then restaple.

I then went over the grill cloth with a damp sponge and used a hair dryer to tighten it even more.

Mine looks perfect now.

-Rich

3. Distortion

Distortion Member

Try spraying the grill cloth with water and then using the hair dryer first. It is a lot quicker and usually you will not have to do anything else. A spray bottle works very well.

4. themusicboxstudios

bummer, i guess i'll have to do that sometime. any idea on the road case question guys?

5. Topcat

Topcat Member

The grill cloth issue--

Yes, IMO they are too loose. Of the three cabinets I saw, they seemed too loose.

I bought mine from a touring musician. The cloth is 'flabby and distorted' from them sticking a mic too far into it. But it is more than just the 'mic' going to far in. They are too loose period-not just the fault of an overzealous roadie.

We've stuck many a mics into old Tweed Fenders and they spring right back.

Just my opinion of course.

Terry

6. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Mine's getting a little loose and flabby now too. So is my D13 2x12 grill cloth. :D

Kenny M.

7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I've got some D13 grill cloth sag too. :( Nothing major, but I can see you need to be carefull.

It'll hold up, but you really gotta watch it. If it's bad, do what fzfwyv recs. I was able to just loosen up the baffle and kinda smooth the cloth out with my hands. Looks like new still, and I load mine around a couple times a week. Lucky for now.

I've never seen a road case for both a head and cab. That would be pretty dang heavy... (120lbs?) :eek: I just had a case made at Rock Hard Roadcases that came out A+.

Give Mark a call - great service...
    Rock Hard

8. themusicboxstudios

ya, i know it'll be pretty heavy, but i had one for a mesa combo i had and the whole d/13 rig is only about 10-20 pounds heavier. and if it's tall enough i can just lean it against my truck bed and then slide it on up, if it's not tall enough (cab and head in seperate cases) i would have to pick it up and place it on the bed.

that said, do you think the reverb tank or something of the sort may be affected by having it on it's back while i drive.

9. Distortion

Distortion Member

Jon , I personally would not buy one case and fit both the head and cabinet in it.
    You will have much more protection going with a case for the head and one for the cabinet.
    It may be easier to move a single case, but I really don't think you will get near as much protection as you would with individual cases.

10. GasMask

GasMask Member

Agreed. Plus, separate cases give you flexability. What if you just want to transport the head?

11. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

You've spent too much money to take a shortcut (which a single cab for both would be). There's no real way to engineer something that would be stable with both pieces in one case.

Either contact Fred at /13 for the right cases, or Mark at www.tmcases.com and he can hook you up as well. He builds great road cases (and pedalboards) and is located right near you in Anaheim. Just tell him Rick sent you and he'll take care of you!:dude

12. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

i have bonded and insured guards carry mine in this leather padded leather corners! :dude :dude :D

Susan @ studio slips is great!

clam shell
    case

unless you gotta have a armor case for flying round the country/overseas :D

13. themusicboxstudios

thank you guys, you helped me solve my problem. i just need to find out how much the cab case going to weigh if it's not going to be tall enough to just tilt and slide onto my truck (i highly doubt it). i'm a small guy and can only lift so much into my truck by myself.

thanks, jon:rolleyes: